Nintendo: Adults Use Wii More Often Than PS3, 360

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo: Adults Use Wii More Often Than PS3, 360

In an attempt to dispel the notion that Wiis just sit in homes gathering dust, Nintendo has claimed that adults use their Wii twice as often as Xbox 360 or PS3 owners use their consoles.

If you asked most "core" gamers, they'd probably tell you that the people who own Nintendo's Wii play the console for maybe five or so hours - or however long it takes them to tire of Wii Sports - and then tuck it away in the corner, never to use it again.

That is a stereotype that Nintendo says is patently untrue. At an analyst Q&A session at last week's E3 2010, Nintendo boss Reggie Fils-Aime said that data showed that more adults used their Wii than used the other two consoles. He cited a February survey from independent market research firm Ipsos that found that 51% of Wii owners over the age of 18 use the console at least one to two hours a week. This was in comparison to 26% of Xbox 360 owners and 22% of PS3 owners who said they did the same.

"The share of play on Wii ... is higher than its share of ownership," said Fils-Aime, pointing to the Wii's 47% of market share versus 32% for the 360 and 20% for the PS3.

Reggie also pooh-pooh'ed the claim that Wii sales were slowing down, referring back to the same Ipsos survey in which more people said they planned to buy a Wii in the next six months (11%) than those who said they were planning to buy a PS3 (8%), Xbox 360 (4%), iPhone (4%), or iPod/iPod Touch (3%) in the same time period.

"Not only is purchase intent effectively that of the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined," Fils-Aime said, "[The data shows] that as many people plan on buying a Wii ... as the 360 ... iPhone ... iPod and iPod touch put together."

These numbers may explain his confidence we reported on yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101568-Nintendo-Promises-Much-Punishment-for-Sony-and-Microsoft].

(Gamasutra)

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Nintendo is still the king of games and there still on top on the market.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Adults aren't hardcore gamers by default.

Either way, just Nintendo showing off. Congrats to them, I really need to buy a Wii now. And a 3DS.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I pretty much knew this already because Nintendo is out to make things fun for everyone who wants to have it and not the juiced up frat-boy who doesn't get an erection unless he has 3 gallons of alien blood on his television screen 24 hours a day 7 days week.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
tellmeimaninja said:
Most adults are casual gamers. Most Wii games are casual games. Take Wii Sports. The second one sold like hotcakes, despite being little more than an assembly of poorly made minigames.
Yeeeeah... these folks aint playing Zelda and Metroid, they're literally JUST playing Wii Bowling--and I MEAN just Wii Bowling. Or Wii Fit. Yes, we get it, you came up with a neat invention everybody bought. Now how about supporting it more for the folks who bought it for more than just a high-tech scale?

Phatnpround

May 25, 2009
I'm a wii owner and I disagree. Both me and my friend got a wii and only played it for mayeb 6 months before putting it away and letting it gather dust. I'm planning on firing it up later this week to play some SMG2 and after E3 im sure my wii will be getting a lot more use but before now I really haven't been bothered about it.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
That's because Nintendo tapped into the rather large market of "peoples parents".

From experience the "playing it for a few hours and tucking it away for weeks" is true. And there's a hell of a lot of people that seem to agree, where are all these hidden people that play Wii Fit regularly? And what are the chances that a lot of people answered one of Nintendo's 1 million surveys half-arsedly.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Whatever Nintendo.I am quite happy here with my PC and PS3.And I will not buy a Wii not matter how much brag and boast about it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Dosnt surprise me...casual gamers and all. So, really its something we all knoew already

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
Surely the fact that the research being done to prove that Nintendo is awesome is being done by Nintendo kinda makes the whole thing slightly unbelievable?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Most adults are casual gamers. Most Wii games are casual games. Take Wii Sports. The second one sold like hotcakes, despite being little more than an assembly of poorly made minigames.
Yes this. Also reminds me of the article claiming like 40% of gamers are women. Sorry but playing wii sports 2 hours a week is the same as playing farmville. It isn't gaming.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Ipsos surveys?

Those guys pay for surveys and partner with the dodgy websites that offer chances to enter prize draws for items (at the expense of your every personal detail). If someone says "hey we represent Nintendo today and if you fill in this survey you could get a couple of Nintendo games and a few quid." how would you fill it out?

Add in carefully worded questions and the fact that most online survey fillers just tick the top option for everything and you get a nice result for anything you want.

Not that it means anything but I know a lot of people that own Wii's and the only ones that play it regularly are those with children under 12.

Jiraiya72 said:
reminds me of the article claiming like 40% of gamers are women.
tells you that a lot of online survey fillers are women.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Rhymenoceros said:
Surely the fact that the research being done to prove that Nintendo is awesome is being done by Nintendo kinda makes the whole thing slightly unbelievable?
Yeh. While I can imagine this might be true, research carried out by Nintendo to show that a Nintendo console is used more that those of it's competitors? Very impartial indeed.

Ok, so the study that allegedly wasn't carried out by Nintendo stated that 51% of adult Wii owners used the console at least 1 to 2 hours a week while this number is supposedly much less for the 360 and PS3. What about the possibility that some of the remaining percentage might use their console for longer each week.

Anyway, not like I'm really caring. It still doesn't make the Wii better than my 360...:)

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I love how people in this thread keep saying "But but but -insert excuse here about why Wii is on top and not their console of choice-"

armaina

Nov 1, 2007
Jiraiya72 said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Yes this. Also reminds me of the article claiming like 40% of gamers are women. Sorry but playing wii sports 2 hours a week is the same as playing farmville. It isn't gaming.
Yes, as a woman I couldn't possibly be playing Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Okami, Umbrella Chronicles, Conduit or Super Paper Mario on my Wii. Nor could all my other female friends.

Seriously all these people that seem to think it's impossible for 40% of gamers to be women either don't have many female friends or hardly interact with them. This is the reason why many female gamers tend to hide their presence online.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Unrulyhandbag said:
Ipsos surveys?

Those guys pay for surveys and partner with the dodgy websites that offer chances to enter prize draws for items (at the expense of your every personal detail). If someone says "hey we represent Nintendo today and if you fill in this survey you could get a couple of Nintendo games and a few quid." how would you fill it out?

Add in carefully worded questions and the fact that most online survey fillers just tick the top option for everything and you get a nice result for anything you want.

Not that it means anything but I know a lot of people that own Wii's and the only ones that play it regularly are those with children under 12.

Jiraiya72 said:
reminds me of the article claiming like 40% of gamers are women.
tells you that a lot of online survey fillers are women.
I couldn't help but giggle sadistically at this, part of me wants to love Nintendo but the other part wants them to shove it.

That and the fact that Reggie Fils-Amie was talking in this article doesn't help. God I hate his guts.

He WILL stare into your soul.

Seriously, this picture should be the Reggie equivilant to Kojima on a Duck [http://www.anaitgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kojima-duck.jpg] for this site.