Nintendo Already Working on 3DS Pokemon

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
John Funk said:
Of course, "Pokemon-related products" is a pretty vague term, and it doesn't in any way indicate a new entry in the "main" series beyond Black & White. If there were a new "fifth generation" title released for the 3DS, it would be the first time in the franchise's history that a generation was split between two different handhelds. Prior to this, every Pokemon generation was on its own hardware: 1st Gen on the original Game Boy, 2nd Gen on the Game Boy Color, 3rd Gen on the Game Boy Advance, and 4th Gen on the DS.
Colosseum and Gale of Darkness, two third gen games on the GameCube, say hi. Although I guess that depends on if you consider them spinoffs or not, but I don't. Granted there are differences between them and the main portable adventure, but they actually are story driven games about battling and catching Pokémon. It's not like Stadium or Battle Revolution where's it just a side attraction for you to bring your portable team over and get into some more battles.

cptawesome said:
Just as long as it's not a remake of Ruby and Sapphire. Heartgold and Soulsilver were cool and nostalgic and all that, but Ruby and Sapphire were not very good entries in the series.
If they do, I know i'll still play it. Damn you pokemon and your addictive nature!
Nonsense. If Gold and Silver (the worst Pokémon games in the main series) got remakes, the vastly superior Ruby and Sapphire easily deserve them.
Although I feel your pain: I still bought Heart Gold knowing I'd hate it as much as the original (and I did). Johto is the most poorly designed region ever. Putting Kanto in for a revisit was a bad thing, not good. Johto was a lousy map, and neither of them had much to do because all that space had to be used to put Kanto in just for the nostalgia. And then the remake comes around and they get the chance to fix all of those problems, but they don't: Johto is still an awful map, and there is still almost nothing to do in either Johto or Kanto. In fact, the only thing they did was take a step backwards by putting that awful Safari Zone back in. Safari Zone: because nothing is more fun than constantly throwing balls at a full health, super-rare Pokémon with a low catch rate that you just spend a half hour walking around in the grass to find only to have it run away after a ball or two. Or you can try bait which somehow makes it dodge all your balls despite that it's sitting there eating. Or you can throw a rock at it which does more towards making it run away than it does towards making it easier to catch. By the way, when I said fun before, I meant rage inducing.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Comic Sans said:
To say Pokemon hasn't changed is ludicrous. It's like saying Half Life never changed because it's still just shooting people.
But the Pokémon games still largely adhere to technical limitations that no longer exist, which makes the games less interesting than they could be. And I think I'd rather compare the Pokémon to just about every RPG series ever than Half-Life. Pokémon, ironically, has never "evolved" into a new form.

And, again... Half-Life? The game that has only had one sequel with some episodic add-on content? You're comparing that to Pokémon, which has had Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, FireRed/LeafGreen, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White?

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
John Funk said:
Honestly, it would have made more sense to me for Nintendo to have held off on Black & White and released them as launch titles for the 3DS. I'm surprised that they didn't, frankly.
I know what you mean, but I can't help but think that they probably suspected that Black&White would be the best way of getting a last big haul for the old DS before they expected people to shell out for a new handheld that (theoretically) should sell on its own merits as exciting new hardware.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I actually thought that Black and White would get a 3ds version or be converted into 3ds titles late in development but oh well. I told myself that I was done with it but I would absolutely pick up a (real) Pokemon game for 3ds.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Maybe it's the third Black & White version? (aka "Grey", but "Rainbow" or "Colors" sounds more witty IMO)
Kind of like what they did with Gold, Silver, and Crystal.
G&S were made for Gamboy Color but were backwards compatible with the original GB, and Crystal was GBC exclusive.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
JediMB said:
Comic Sans said:
To say Pokemon hasn't changed is ludicrous. It's like saying Half Life never changed because it's still just shooting people.
But the Pokémon games still largely adhere to technical limitations that no longer exist, which makes the games less interesting than they could be. And I think I'd rather compare the Pokémon to just about every RPG series ever than Half-Life. Pokémon, ironically, has never "evolved" into a new form.

And, again... Half-Life? The game that has only had one sequel with some episodic add-on content? You're comparing that to Pokémon, which has had Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, FireRed/LeafGreen, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White?
What technical limitations do you refer to? The games have insane depth on the competitive level. That's the beauty of them. The entry level is quite low for a casual playthrough, but when you start getting into the technical details of breeding, leveling, movesets, stat building, etc, it gets very complex. We have spin-offs to experiment with other game types. Why change what isn't broken for the main games? They add plenty of tweaks that keep fans happy, and despite what people tend to say, they are getting better, not worse.

Ciaran Lunt

Mar 25, 2010
remake of yellow!!!!!!!!! wait I've never owned a Pokemon game
I was genuinely proud of Nintendo for not putting Pokemon black and white on ds it made me think that maybe i should buy my first Pokemon game at last although its silver i wanted one with the pokemon i loved as a kid on the anime

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
I want it to be a remake of one of the oldy but goodies, but chances are first thing we are going to see is something like pokemon mystery dungeon. Just a feeling.