Nintendo Already Working on 3DS Pokemon

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo Already Working on 3DS Pokemon

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Nintendo is making Pokemon for its new handheld.

Pokemon Black & White aren't even out in the West yet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106441-Pokemon-Black-White-I-Choose-You-on-March-6th], but Nintendo is already developing products in the extremely popular series for its next-generation handheld. And nobody was surprised.

According to Official Nintendo Magazine UK [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=23258], Nintendo big boss Satoru Iwata told investors that new games in the lucrative franchise were on the way. "We are also developing Pokémon related products on the Wii and 3DS," said Iwata, and my guess is that he isn't just talking about a custom Pikachu stylus.

Of course, "Pokemon-related products" is a pretty vague term, and it doesn't in any way indicate a new entry in the "main" series beyond Black & White. If there were a new "fifth generation" title released for the 3DS, it would be the first time in the franchise's history that a generation was split between two different handhelds. Prior to this, every Pokemon generation was on its own hardware: 1st Gen on the original Game Boy, 2nd Gen on the Game Boy Color, 3rd Gen on the Game Boy Advance, and 4th Gen on the DS.

Honestly, it would have made more sense to me for Nintendo to have held off on Black & White and released them as launch titles for the 3DS. I'm surprised that they didn't, frankly.

Oh well, it could always just be a new Pokemon Ranger or one of those other spinoffs. Or it could be a new Pokemon Snap that took advantage of the 3DS' cameras and accelerometers to give it an augmented-reality touch.

Wait, that last one actually sounds really cool.

(ONM [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=23258])

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Well I hope its not going to be Ruby, Pearl, Diamond, Etc, Etc 3D edition.

A new pokemon snap or ranger game in the series would be nice to see

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
If we still haven't gotten a new Snap on the Wii, I don't see there being one on the 3DS. I'd be all for it, but I don't see it happening.

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
Just as long as it's not a remake of Ruby and Sapphire. Heartgold and Soulsilver were cool and nostalgic and all that, but Ruby and Sapphire were not very good entries in the series.
If they do, I know i'll still play it. Damn you pokemon and your addictive nature!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hopefully the first "3D generation" of Pokémon games will bring something truly new to the table. Like a true 3D world and semi-real-time battles.

Or it will be just like all previous Pokémon games, with another couple of new features added to the formula.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
They'd better do a pokemon snap. That game was actually good, unlike ranger or mystery dungeon which I didn't care much for.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I too was surprised that Black and White weren't coming out for the 3DS, but I'm not complaining much because I won't have to buy one to play them. :)

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Why all the hate for advanced generation remakes, If that's what they're doing they're just doing it so you can catch em all

and i hope the "pokemon related product on the wii" is pokemon stadium, that would be cool

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
New snap would be insane. Especially with the gyro/motion sensors. Actually having to move around the system.

....I can't believe I just said that. As much as I hate the motion control gimmick. That is one i could almost get behind. So long as I don't have to spin all the way around. Perhaps make the touchpad like mouse look.

Also I want a legitimate pokemon rpg on the wii. not this spinoff junk. There is no reason battle revolution didn't include a worthwhile story campaign as well.

also captchas suck

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Dear god, what would I give for a new Pokémon Snap. The only spinoff I can think of that was actually entertaining.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
JediMB said:
Hopefully the first "3D generation" of Pokémon games will bring something truly new to the table. Like a true 3D world and semi-real-time battles.

Or it will be just like all previous Pokémon games, with another couple of new features added to the formula.
So pretty much like the sequels to any series ever? Same game, new features to fine tune it? Pokemon has actually gone through a lot of changes, they are just subtle, not huge gameplay renovations. As someone who's been battling against people since I owned Blue version (except for Advance gen), the metagame is totally different.First gen was limited but overall offensive. Gen 2 was really defensive thanks to the addition of Special Defense, the addition of two new types, Spikes, Skarmory, and Blissey. Gen 3 introduced the passive abilities, which gave more to account for and, later, some vital choices in how to use a Pokemon thanks to multiple possibilities, and double battles. Gen 4 added the split between physical and special attacks (HUUUUGE) and wifi play. Gen 5 looks to have given some radical new abilities, a lot more emphasis on weather, triple battles, and some incredibly powerful new offensive choices.

To say Pokemon hasn't changed is ludicrous. It's like saying Half Life never changed because it's still just shooting people.

Oh, and as I've said before, third gen is far from the worst. The Game Boy Color generation games are all far worse. They do not hold up, even their remakes. Pokemon available have radically different power levels, limiting what is actually good. In Gold/Silver the difficulty curve is wonky (starts really easy, gets tough at the 3/4th gym, then slides into easy mode until the last gym, which was unreasonable without a lot of grind) and is way more grindtastic thanks to the levels of wild Pokemon being so low, even in the final area unlocked. Thanks to he design and Pokemon available in Gold/Silver, looking past nostalgia those are the worst of the series.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Cool. I am kinda hoping for a new Pokemon Stadium game or Pokemon Snap. Though I still want to see a remake of Ruby and Sapphire.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I think you may be onto something with the Snap, could definitely see that. Also, isn't B/W the 5th generation?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
(sorry for yelling but)

I WANT SNAP! It sounds like a win in my book. Course, another generation 5 game would be interesting, seeing as how there would likely be a 3rd game in the generation to go for the ice-dragon thing.