Nintendo Announces A Boatload of Super Smash Bros. Wii U Information

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Nintendo Announces A Boatload of Super Smash Bros. Wii U Information

Eight-player simultaneous battles, a stage creator, and more come out of Nintendo's presentation.

During today's Super Smash Bros. Wii U presentation, Nintendo delivered some exciting news for Wii U owners. Among the brand new details from the stream are new eight-player simultaneous battles, Smash Tour mode, and more.

Nintendo has posted a video following the Nintendo Direct presentation showcasing 50 facts about the upcoming Wii U brawler, but as the video is a whopping 35 minutes long, here are some highlights to get fans jumping for joy.

For starters, the eight-player battles will allow you to use classic controllers or Wii remotes, but you'll also be able to use your 3DS as a controller via Wii U. No controller? No problem -- use your handheld to join in on the fun. This should work well in stages like the Smash Tour mode, which was officially confirmed during the live stream as well.

Additionally, Nintendo explained what players will be able to do with the upcoming line of Amiibo figures and Super Smash Bros. Wii U. You'll need to place a figure on the Wii U Game Pad in order to join the fight as a "figure player," which in turn allows said figure to rise in level and earn new equipment. You can pit your Amiibo characters against one another, and eventually your Amiibos will bring you spoils from battles.

Speaking of characters, Mewtwo will also be joining the team as a downloadable fighter for players who have purchased both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the games, so if Mewtwo is a cherished fighter for you, you'll have to double-up, though it shouldn't be too difficult, especially considering the fact that this seems to be the definitive version of the two.

Ridley of Metroid fame is joining the roster as well, hidden in the Pyrosphere stage. Through a special turn of events he can be transformed into Meta Ridley, which should be an entertaining spectacle.

There's also official word on the previously rumored stage creator, which will allow you to create brand new stages with which you can brawl against your friends. The touch screen can be used to arrange items as you see fit, and once your masterpiece is complete you can share it with other players via the internet. You can also import any fighters you've created in the 3DS version to the Wii U game along with all of their equipment.

There are several other facts to uncover within the video, but these highlights are enough to leave any Smash fan reeling. If you've yet to claim your fighter for your first Super Smash Bros. Wii U brawl, now might be a good time to do so.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
There. MewTwo and Ridley are (back) in Smash Bros. NOW will you all shut up? :)

No seriously, I'm happy too.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Aww, you made it sound like Ridley could be unlocked as a character. I'm only at 8:43 in the video, but they just talked about Ridley and said that he'd only be on Pyrosphere, and that if you damage him enough he'll fight on your side (And can transform into Meta-Ridley by absorbing stuff out of containers). Just make him a full fledged character already. QQ

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Sorry Mewtwo, your not worth buying the Same Game twice. Besides, the WiiU version is clearly superior.

Anyways, I liked a lot of the Information released on this.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Well I just decided my console for this generation, move over Sony and Microsoft. I've been thinking about getting a Wii U, just holding off until more good games came out, but Smash just gave me the final push. Hell, I don't even mind getting it again on Wii U, although Mewtwo was my favourite thing in Melee, Nintendo had more long before the reveal.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
"Board Game mode"
Nintendo, please.
"Special Orders"
Nintendo, chill out,
"8 Player Smash"
Chill the fuck out, Nintendo!
"Mewtwo"
PLEASE!!!

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Ooh, that stage editor actually looks really good. The one in Brawl was definitely harder to work with.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
and this is where Iwata, Reggie, Miyamoto, Sakurai, and every other Nintendo employee "What, you really thought underestimating us was a SMART IDEA???? Dear lord, you kids don't know the first thing about gaming. You need to go back and reeducate yourselves." The glories of when reality rears its head.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Eight-player mode?! Co-op?! Tons more music?! FREEFORM STAGE EDITOR?!

Okay, it's official. I'm buying a Wii U when this comes out, making it the first (and perhaps only) current-gen console purchase from me. Resisting the temptation with titles like Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World was hard enough, but now it's damn near impossible.

Well done, Nintendo. You're the only one of the "big three" who seems to remember the power of wholesome, honest-to-goodness fun.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
EDIT: Well good to have mewtwo back. I want to see what the other modes are like once the game finally comes out.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Dark Knifer said:
So do you really have to buy the same game twice for mewtwo?

That's fucking stupid if that is true. I'm glad about the other stuff but that just left a bad taste in my mouth.
That's not what they said. They said he's free when you buy both games, apparently they'll charge for him otherwise. Assuming more paid DLC fighters down the road.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
Dark Knifer said:

That's fucking stupid if that is true. I'm glad about the other stuff but that just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah, hopefully he's free to people that bought both but also available for some price on the store for people that don't. If not mewtwo the character will technically at least 35 dollars. And people thought horse armor was bad...

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
deth2munkies said:
This is so...SO VERY CLOSE to being worth buying a Wii-U...needs one other game.
How about:
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
MarioKart 8
Super Mario 3D World
DK Country Tropical Freeze
Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
Hyrule Warriors

Et Cetera.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
deth2munkies said:
Dark Knifer said:

That's not what they said. They said he's free when you buy both games, apparently they'll charge for him otherwise. Assuming more paid DLC fighters down the road.
Sweet thanks, I'll edit my post then.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
deth2munkies said:
Dark Knifer said:

I'd imagine that's the case. I wouldn't begrudge them for this. What if they hadn't even announced Mewtwo, and instead, in Spring 2015, said "It's $5, that's that." A lot of people probably wouldn't even complain (others would). And that's what a lot of businesses typically do. Instead, they're giving to the people who are getting both.

I was going to get both anyway - I wanted the home console version (knowing it would be superior) and the 3DS version (to play on the go). They're different games. And lucky for me, because I'm getting them anyway, I'll also be given CD's and free eventual DLC.

EDIT: saw your (Dark Knifer) post after I posted. Oh well. So much for me taking too long to write.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Funny... I was going to have a party at my house on Nov 21st when the game launched.
Now with the announcement of an EIGHT FRIKIN PLAYER SMASH, MY HOUSE IS ABOUT TO BECOME A RAVE.

And it's interesting that Mewtwo is DLC... because that means my favorite legendary solider main might be coming back too! Hallelujah!

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
8 player local multiplayer...

Not only is Nintendo the only major developer keeping couch co-op around, but they're also innovating and pushing the envelop. This is awesome.