Nintendo Announces DLC Pass for Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Announces DLC Pass for Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nintendo has announced a $20 DLC Pass for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

In a YouTube video today, Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma announced an expansion pass for upcoming The Legend of Zelda title, Breath of the Wild. The expansion pass will be available on launch day, March 3, will include new content rolled out at two different points during the upcoming year, and will cost players $19.99.

The "Expansion Pack Bonus" will be available on launch day, and will include three new treasure chests in the Great Plateau. These chests will include "useful items" and "exclusive in-game clothing" - a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear.

DLC Pack arrives in Summer 2017 and adds a new Cave of Trials challenge, new Hard Mode, and an additional map feature. DLC Pack 2, releasing in Holiday 2017, will include a "new original story," new dungeon, and new challenges.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1382/1382160.png

The DLC packs cannot be purchased separately. The expansion pass is available for Wii U and Switch versions of the games.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
If you did not get the memo back when the horse armor came out.
Time to find a better hobby, its only going to go down hill from here.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Nintendo. Are you really just piling all the worst practices and ideas in video gaming into one console at this point because i can tell you. Much more and even Pokemon won't be able to move units.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Huh, interesting. The 1st dlc is basically stuff that should be free but you can't get it separate from spending 20 bucks on new story content. Wonder whats next from the big N. Maybe making us pay for extra lives in mario GTA edition.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And the last pure game publisher falls down the pit along with the rest.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Fischgopf said:
Having to buy Hard Mode?

That one seems new to me as far as terrbile DLC practices go.

I don't know what the Cave of Trials is, it was probably explained in one of the many Videos I can't watch due to my terrible internet, but overall, this doesn't sound like a good value, especially this thing with having to buy Hard Mode and having to buy a in-game fanboy shirt...just really rubs me the wrong way.
It specifically says New Hard Mode. Meaning that it?s more than the hard mode already in the game. Does no one know how to read? New, meaning that it?s different than what?s already in the game. Meaning that the game already has a hard mode. If anything, this is no different that Master Quest that came out for the remasters. Since Master Quest, and that type of hard mode, never released with the original games.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
The Lunatic said:
... A difficulty mode is DLC these days?

Jesus. What happened?
Money, greed, stupidity and lack of common sense happened.

21st Century gaming.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
And so it begins...

Tell me, since when was having a new difficulty considered DLC content?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, it's like you guys don't know that Mario Kart 8 had paid DLC. Dial back the hyperbole bit. I know we're gamers, but try waiting on the panic for once.

Totes worth it for MK8, btw.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
RJ 17 said:
And so it begins...

I specifically remember Ace Combat 6 with the Ace of Aces DLC difficulties, sold by the mission and specially crafted to fuck your ass ten ways from Friday.
altnameJag said:
Jesus Christ, it's like you guys don't know that Mario Kart 8 had paid DLC. Dial back the hyperbole bit. I know we're gamers, but try waiting on the panic for once.

Totes worth it for MK8, btw.
In this case, the worry is that it's for a Zelda game, which is a totally single player experience and a long held belief that Nintendo actually ships totally finished games on disc. Kind of spits on the narrative a bit.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Well I guess we are officially fucked. Nintendo was the last bastion of getting entire games right out of the box, so much for that shit. Incoming Mario Odyssey season passes, Splatoon 2, etc and so forth.

Also probably means that this Zelda game wont be nearly as good as people hope.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I can only hope "difficulty mode" is short-hand for a "master quest"-esque game mode, and whomever made the announcement was an idiot. Other than that, at least they seem to not have gone down the "cut up the game to make day-one dlc" route, yet...

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
So here's my question for everyone, was Mario Kart 8 not a complete game because it had DLC? What about Fire Emblem? ( granted thats possibly a bad example given Fates business model) Smash Bros?

the fact is you are jumping to conclusions about the game not being finished at launch because they're adding stuff

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
RJ 17 said:
And so it begins...

Least it's not as bad as Metro Last Light locking Ranger Hardcore (the way the game was meant to be played) behind DLC (or advertising it as a preorder bonus).

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
I notice a lot of complaints regarding the difficulty - but no one seems to see the additional maps and challenges added in on the same pack. If anything, this will likely be a "Super Hard" mode, since Hero Mode (The Hard difficulty) has been included in every Zelda game since ~2011.

Also - don't forget that the second DLC pack is full expansion.
This isn't something that should be shocking to people. Nintendo has been dabbling in DLC for years now, and this type of content seems similar to what one would see in a lot of games today.

Here's a small list of games that had people pay for a difficulty increase:

The Last of Us (PS3)
Metro 2033 (360}
Metro: Last Light (PS3/360/PC)
Borderlands 2 (360/PS3/PC)
Watch Dogs 2 (Xbox One/PS4/PC)

Available for free post-game, or with Pre-order:
Resident Evil 7 (Xbox One/PS4/PC)