Nintendo Announces NES Remix for Wii U

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Nintendo Announces NES Remix for Wii U

NES Remix is available today and features tweaked versions of NES classics.

In case you hadn't heard, Nintendo delivered a slew of new announcements today via one of its Nintendo Direct streaming events. The news included bits and pieces about <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130657-New-Mario-Kart-8-Trailer-Zooms-Through-Giant-Cakes-Jungle-Ruins>Mario Kart 8, the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130655-Rosalina-and-Luma-Bring-a-New-Fighting-Style-to-Super-Smash-Bros>next Super Smash Brothers and even a Dynasty Warriors-styled <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130653-Hyrule-Warriors-Is-a-Dynasty-Warriors-Styled-Zelda>Zelda game. Also among the revealed content was a new game tailored toward old school Nintendo fans: NES Remix.

Remix will take classic Nintendo games (sixteen total) and tweak their mechanics to fashion new challenges for players to overcome. Remix will come packaged with two different play modes. The first will be the experimental Remix mode which will take the included games and play with their mechanics to give players interesting obstacles to overcome and unique goals to pursue. The second will be more straightforward NES stages that will be different from the originals that players know and love but still more familiar than the content in Remix mode.

Nintendo fans interested in taking NES Remix for a spin won't have to wait to play it either. The company confirmed that the game is already available in the Wii U eShop, costing £8.99/$9.99 in Europe and $14.99 in North America. Honestly, I'd kind of prefer this on the 3DS. It just seems like it would be a better fit there. That said, it certainly looks like an interesting experience for gamers who invested in Wii U's and we'll be excited to here if it's worth the price of admission.

Source: <a href=http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/12/nes_remix_confirmed_and_available_today_on_the_wii_u_eshop>Nintendo Life

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I think this has just become my new favourite example of how lazy Nintendo is at recycling it's own ideas.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
Ahh, Nintendo's less than reputable twin company, we meet again...

OT: 200 stages doesn't sound too shabby, especially almost all those games are timeless classics, might see if I can scrounge up the money for this.
Just consider yourself lucky we're not dealing with Ninetendo, they're ruthless.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
So... just to be clear here, you don't actually get the timeless classics. You get mini-games made in the style of those old-school games. Or is there something I'm missing?

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Ahh, Nintendo's less than reputable twin company, we meet again...

OT: 200 stages doesn't sound too shabby, especially almost all those games are timeless classics, might see if I can scrounge up the money for this.
Might want to hold off until reviews come out for this one. From what I've read stages seem short (one requires you to jump over 3 barrels in Donkey Kong), and the game is filled with screens encouraging you to buy the VC games off the eShop. They even go so far as to add links to the eShop in game for impulse buyers. It may turn out to be amazing, but first impression from me is that you are paying $15 for a VC advertisement.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
StewShearer said:
costing £8.99/$9.99 in Europe and $14.99 in North America.
Wait, going by current conversion rates, this would mean the NA version is a bit more expensive than the EU one.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Yikes, never mind then, can't stand those, might get it once it goes on sale, but at full price for an advertisement? Nah.
Like I said, it would be better to wait for reviews. It looks like Warioware meets classic NES games, which sounds awesome, I just need to know if it is awesome enough to justify the price. At first glance it just looks kind of shady.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Nintendo... they truly are afraid of trying anything new. They are the worst when it comes to recycling old games. They even have Crapcom beat at this point. They are being less and less relevant, which is a shame. I mean, one of my favorite franchises of all time is Metroid. They did a lot with the Prime games, then released one more really lousy sequel to the best game in the series, and then abandoned it. It's just getting old at this point. Make a new property and stop recycling old ones so much. They oversaturate their own market.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
This kinda looked like the idea behind Wario Ware, but without the charm and self-awareness.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Church185 said:
Might want to hold off until reviews come out for this one. From what I've read stages seem short (one requires you to jump over 3 barrels in Donkey Kong), and the game is filled with screens encouraging you to buy the VC games off the eShop. They even go so far as to add links to the eShop in game for impulse buyers. It may turn out to be amazing, but first impression from me is that you are paying $15 for a VC advertisement.
Great so they're really short rom hacks that try to get you to buy twenty year old games that we may have bought a dozen times already. Screw this, I'll just go play Super Metroid Redesign/Phazon Hack/Eris or Zelda 3: Parallel Worlds. You know something that had EFFORT put in them and it shows.

There is plenty of creativity for Nintendo, Sega, and Square's games out there. It's just in the form of random dudes with no ties to the companies other than being fans. Instead of hitting everyone making a free, non-profit, no money changes hands, fan game with cease and desist letters, they should hire these guys as freelance designers and let make games or at least lay the ground work down on one. Kinda like what Sega did with the guy that rebuilt the Sonic CD engine.(Even though they lost the original Sega CD engine somehow and just wanted it done fast, and he was their best bet to get it done quick.)