Nintendo Announces New Splatoon Amiibo

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Announces New Splatoon Amiibo

The Squid Sisters: Callie and Marie, will release alongside re-prints of the original three Splatoon amiibo.

Of all of Nintendo's little plastic Splatoon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/amiibo] ones are perhaps the most in-demand. Firstly, because they actually unlock useful stuff in the game (singleplayer challenge maps and multiplayer weapons), secondly because they were sold in fairly short supply, as not even Nintendo could have predicted the immense popularity of the game. Well the good news is that not only is Splatoon getting two brand-new amiibo in the form of the game's "Squid Sister" presenters: Callie and Marie, it is also getting recolored re-prints of the original three figures.

Callie and Marie will hit store shelves on July 8, exclusively sold together in a "double pack" for $24.99. Unlike the other Splatoon amiibo, the Squid Sisters simply unlock a series of songs that the two will perform in game.

The recolored inkling boy and inkling girl will also be released on July 8, for $12.99 each or in a 3-pack with an exclusive orange inkling squid for $34.99.

[gallery=6200]

It's great that Nintendo is trying to keep hard-to-find amiibos restocked, but as more and more of the damn things are released, its going to get harder and harder to find that one specific out-of-print amiibo!

Source: Nintendo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP3CPiSOBRs]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Will Amiibos work with the NX, or will we (predictably) have to buy them all over again because Nintendo loves making you pay for the same thing over and over again?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
008Zulu said:
Will Amiibos work with the NX, or will we (predictably) have to buy them all over again because Nintendo loves making you pay for the same thing over and over again?
I don't think they'll be quite THAT dickish as it's NFC if I'm remembering right, so no reason they'd not easily make them compatible.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
so no reason they'd not easily make them compatible.
To a company, more money is a very good and almost always guaranteed reason to do anything.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
And these are the only two that were manufactured.

Off topic.

Does anyone else kinda find these two hot in a guilty way?.... no?.... Uhhm me neither.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
008Zulu said:
i think the only thing* that's been removed from a next gen system is compatibility with games older than the previous gen, and certain obsolete peripherals. even the dumb infrared sensor on the handheld systems is still there and still as pointless...but it's there

*not counting the famicom features that never made it to the nes release
spartandude said:
Off topic.

Does anyone else kinda find these two hot in a guilty way?.... no?.... Uhhm me neither.
not even the apocalypse could destroy all of the evidence to the contrary on the internet

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
spartandude said:
I was thinking the exact same thing.

OT: It's great that nintendo is putting out these amiibos, especially the reprint of first set for the game; but I wonder if the game is still riding high on that popularity. It's not like there was much to do in it, and as far as I know they still haven't put in a good local splitscreen multiplayer.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
spartandude said:
It's okay, those two are like twenty, according to the lore.

And also squids. So... yeah. Nothing to be ashamed about.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
*sigh*

I wish people would stop buying these evil, overpriced things. Then maybe Nintendo will stop making them.

If they only gave cosmetic shit, I'd be fine with it. But nooooooo, they actually give useful, exclusive items.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
SlumlordThanatos said:
*sigh*

I wish people would stop buying these evil, overpriced things. Then maybe Nintendo will stop making them.

If they only gave cosmetic shit, I'd be fine with it. But nooooooo, they actually give useful, exclusive items.
They unlock cosmetic stuff, people complain they don't do enough.

They Unlock time trials in single player maps, people complain they're gating content.

If you really wanna talk about overpriced, have you seen how much the Lego Dimensions crap is? Lego and disney have been gating whole DLC packs behind their triple packs. By comparison Nintendo's Amiibo have been relatively subdued.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Honestly, I think I'm going to have the most fun with the sisters.
Mostly because I sell them where I work and I know I'll be able to get the people that want 'em to strike the pose and tell me to "stay fresh" when purchasing 'em. The videos might be good as well; ya never know.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Oh look, another amiibo that isn't going to have enough stock and I am not going to be able to get. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It seems kind of late after Splatoon's launch for all new Amiibo. Although considering the Squid Sisters popularity and the rarity of the original 3, releasing these 5 Amiibo right now might be a tactic to move some more copies of Splatoon and/or Wii U's during this lovely drought Nintendo is in.
spartandude said:
The people drawing interesting fan art sure find the Sisters hot. I can't say I haven't saved some the "cleaner" pictures to use as desktop backgrounds.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll probably be getting the Squid Sisters amiibos since I still play and love Splatoon, and I'm a sucker for Splatoon things. I already have the original three amiibos, so the recolors don't do anything for me. But it's nice that they are selling them again for the people who didn't get them the first time around. I had to pay more than the retail price for the other three back in the summer, when Splatoon amiibo were worth their weight in gold.

I wish the Callie and Marie amiibo did more, but I can justify getting them I guess. I don't care to get many miibs to begin with.