Nintendo Announces Smash Bros. Showing for E3

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Announces Smash Bros. Showing for E3

Smash Bros. director's Twitter comments suggest a video trailer may be in the works.

Last week's Nintendo Direct video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4MzG6lDA1A0] had a huge wealth of information concerning upcoming Nintendo titles. One of the titles mentioned, but not shown, was the upcoming Smash Bros. game. Satoru Iwata, current president of Nintendo, asked us to wait until this year's E3 for more information. Fans asked which version of the game would be shown at E3, and game director Masahiro Sakurai has announced on his Twitter that both the 3DS and WiiU versions will be shown.

A translation of Sakurai's Twitter tells us that the reason no media was shown for Smash Bros. last week was because he didn't feel they had anything good enough to show off, and by the time E3 rolls around they should have "something better" to show us. While Iwata said in the Nintendo Direct video that screenshots of the game would be shown, Sakurai's comments seem to suggest their may be a video trailer in the works.

Little is known of the new Smash Bros. games, except that they should be released simultaneously across the two platforms, and have at least some degree of connectivity. Sakurai has said in the past that he wants the 3DS version to have a more individual and customizable experience, where players could create their own personal character and upload it for play in the WiiU version. While he has said that it is possible we will see Capcom and other third party characters in the new game, he recognized the need to narrow down their inclusion since introducing non-Nintendo characters "willy-nilly" would lose the focus of the game.

At E3 2006, a surprise trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj8eUXiUKAc] for Smash Bros. Brawl was shown, blowing fans out of the water and generating a lot of hype for the game. The trailer was shortly followed by the launch of an official Smash Bros. Brawl Dojo website, which teased new information about the game on a weekly basis leading up to it's release. Could this year's E3 showing of the new Smash Bros. have a similar follow-up?

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai]

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Are they trying to hype the hype about this game?

I don't like the direction this is starting to take :/

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I'm quite curious what new things they could add to the game so that it isn't stale.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
Hmm, I wonder how they'll implement custom characters. Also, Capcom characters? You guys better put Bass.EXE in there.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I doubt any new trailer will have the same impact that the Brawl trailer had.

More specifically, nothing is going to match Solid Snake popping out of that cardboard box.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Brawl was pretty good, but it didn't quite beat Melee in my books. I am kind of looking forward to being able to play this on a portable platform though.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
I personally can't wait for this. Though I don't own a Wii U, the nintendo direct really made me want one. Gonna love playing smash on my 3DS though.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Detroit said:
Hmm, I wonder how they'll implement custom characters.
It better not be Miis, otherwise I'll be forced to strangle a baby seal. Other than that sounds pretty cool though, I'll probably end up getting the 3DS version.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I am kinda not that hyped for this game. They said they won't increase the roster anymore and I don't know how much they can enhance the current formula without breaking it or ripping it to shreds.

I also have a REALLY bad feeling they are going to use this game to champion the rise of DLC in nintendo games by charging for characters/stages.

I really hope I am wrong in this.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
GAunderrated said:
I am kinda not that hyped for this game. They said they won't increase the roster anymore and I don't know how much they can enhance the current formula without breaking it or ripping it to shreds.

I also have a REALLY bad feeling they are going to use this game to champion the rise of DLC in nintendo games by charging for characters/stages.

I don't see why DLC in smash bros would be a bad thing. Having the ability to get more characters and stages after launch would be great in my opinion. I'm sure most of the smash bros fans have had characters they wish would have made the cut but didn't. With DLC we can have more characters without the need to sacrifice the quality of the game as a whole.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
GAunderrated said:

I imagine having an ever expanding roster without doing some moveset cloning like with fox is very difficult to balance without making every character bland.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Randomosity said:
GAunderrated said:

I don't see why DLC in smash bros would be a bad thing. Having the ability to get more characters and stages after launch would be great in my opinion. I'm sure most of the smash bros fans have had characters they wish would have made the cut but didn't. With DLC we can have more characters without the need to sacrifice the quality of the game as a whole.
Heres the thing, it wont have more characters for sure because they stated that they won't increase the roster. If you are willing to purchase surfaces of flat ground with colors in the back (stages) well that is on you. lol.

Call Me Jose

That One Jose
Jul 4, 2012
I couldn't stand brawl, and even after it was released continued playing Melee until I graduated from college, I'd still be playing it if I hadn't moved, even the mod that was released for brawl was leaps and bounds better than what Nintendo released. I mean, tripping...really? I hope Nintendo doesn't mess up this next upcoming game as well, because its probably the only game that would get me anywhere close to buying a WiiU

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
I will forever campaign for the title of this new game to be Super Smash Bros: Kerfuffle.

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Call Me Jose said:
I couldn't stand brawl, and even after it was released continued playing Melee until I graduated from college, I'd still be playing it if I hadn't moved, even the mod that was released for brawl was leaps and bounds better than what Nintendo released. I mean, tripping...really? I hope Nintendo doesn't mess up this next upcoming game as well, because its probably the only game that would get me anywhere close to buying a WiiU
Okay, I'll admit that the tripping was stupid, but honestly, what sucked about anything else in the game? I loved Brawl, and I don't see how it could've been much better without polishing the Adventure mode up.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
Shadowsetzer said:
Okay, I'll admit that the tripping was stupid, but honestly, what sucked about anything else in the game? I loved Brawl, and I don't see how it could've been much better without polishing the Adventure mode up.
(Note: I've never actually played Melee, just a follower of the Smash World Forums for a while and an avid modder of Brawl.)
When compared to Melee from a competitive standpoint, Brawl's physics were borked to hell and back. There was no combo potential due to a generally lower fall rate, gameplay was slowed without broadening hitboxes leading to even less ability to follow up hits and the inclusion of Meta-Knight made things just impossible for real competition to be made. Meta Knight still rates as a tier on his own (Please don't start the "Tires Don Exits!!!" argument. They do.) simply due to the fact that he can rack up huge percentages simply by mashing the B button and there isn't a thing that you can do about it.

OT: As for the new one, isn't it being done by Namco-Bandai? I seem to recall that this iteration of SSB was too big for Nintendo to handle so they outsourced. Either way, I welcome an in-depth character creation system - if the modding scene has shown us anything over these past few years, it's that the ingenuity and drive of the customer is insane and probably able to spin huge amounts of money.

They just need to do it right. Otherwise they'll have people jailbreaking WiiUs to install rogue characters onto their systems and from their standpoint they'll be back to square one.