Nintendo Announces SNES Classic for This Fall, Has 21 Games

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Announces SNES Classic for This Fall, Has 21 Games

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1415/1415866.jpg

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Given, I may use my PSP as a SNES machine, but I just can't let this go by. It doesn't run a few games very well, so this seems to be a cool thing to own. Especially Star Fox and the apparently legendary Star Fox 2. I'll just continue playing Chrono Trigger on the PSP.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
....eh? Not a terrible lineup, but there's quite a few games from my childhood missing. There's No FF IV and VI, no UN Squadron, no Super Mario All Stars, no Turtles in Time, only the first Donkey Kong Country, and I didn't play this one on the SNES, but there's no effing Chrono Trigger.

Still, some pretty good games. Legend of the Seven Stars was the freaking best, as is Super Metroid. I'd give this slightly above average overall. Not bad, but I'm not exactly rushing to get it.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Now I want an N64 Classic & a Game Cube Classic!
Also this Snes Classic I guess.... I never bought the Nes Classic.... Nes didn't have Star Fox.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
erttheking said:
....eh? Not a terrible lineup, but there's quite a few games from my childhood missing. There's No FF IV and VI, no UN Squadron, no Super Mario All Stars, no Turtles in Time, only the first Donkey Kong Country, and I didn't play this one on the SNES, but there's no effing Chrono Trigger.

Still, some pretty good games. Legend of the Seven Stars was the freaking best, as is Super Metroid. I'd give this slightly above average overall. Not bad, but I'm not exactly rushing to get it.
Final Fantasy 6 is there in the form of 3.

They released 6 in the US as 3 because the US never got the original 2,3, and 5.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
erttheking said:

They released 6 in the US as 3 because the US never got the original 2,3, and 5.
Are you 100% sure that that is Final Fantasy 3 as released on the American SNES? Because this is a pretty universal thing, not just for America, and using that old outdated name when no one calls it that anymore is, pardon my French, the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard in my life.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
erttheking said:
Samtemdo8 said:
erttheking said:

Are you 100% sure that that is Final Fantasy 3 as released on the American SNES? Because this is a pretty universal thing, not just for America, and using that old outdated name when no one calls it that anymore is, pardon my French, the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard in my life.
This is the real Final Fantasy 3:

This is the Final Fantasy 3 that was relased in the SNES in the West:

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
...That wasn't what I asked. I asked if you knew for certain that this was FF III as it was known back in the 90s, because they haven't been using that outdated name for awhile. Because if they have gone back to it, that's fucking stupid.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
erttheking said:
Samtemdo8 said:
...That wasn't what I asked. I asked if you knew for certain that this was FF III as it was known back in the 90s, because they haven't been using that outdated name for awhile. Because if they have gone back to it, that's fucking stupid.
I am certain, because the Original Real Final Fantasy 3 as I showed above never had an SNES remake or any 16 bit remake at all.

Only that 3D remake that they did for the DS and onwards.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
erttheking said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I am certain, because the Original Real Final Fantasy 3 as I showed above never had an SNES remake or any 16 bit remake at all.

Only that 3D remake that they did for the DS and onwards.
Well then, whoever decided that was a good name to use was a fucking moron.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Calling it now: they'll release 5-6 of the damn things, sales will not be up to Nintendo's standards and because of that, they'll go "guess nobody wants a new Star Fox or cares about the SNES." And will focus on selling NES only stuff and Star Fox is put in the basement with Kid Icarus and friends.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
That's a good line up, all good games. It shows how good the SNES was for games where I could probably come up with another 21 good games beyond that. That being said it's directly in my nostalgia zone so that may be the rose tinted Glasses talking.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I think I will actually try to buy this. I missed out on the SNES, and actually havent played most of those games.

People complaining about it "missing games" well, I mean, its $80, not way more. Im sure the VC cost of all those games together is more than $80.

Plus again...Star Fox 2, a game never before released.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Not gonna lie, I'm seriously considering getting one of these, provided I can actually get my hands on one. SNES titles have generally aged far better than NES ones, and, while there's a smaller lineup this time around, it's still a damn impressive one. Plus, we'll finally be able to play a finished version of Star Fox 2. I just wish Donkey Kong Country 2 and Chrono Trigger were included. Also, they'd better make the controller cables longer than two feet this time around.

Having said that, it's probably a moot point given that Nintendo won't make enough units to meet demand, and I'm not going to pay hundreds more to get it from scalpers.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Tempting, yes. Very much so.

But here's the thing, will they properly stock the bloody thing this time and not have another shortage again?

Because I have a feeling that's gonna happen again since Nintendo clearly hates money and doesn't know how to properly supply things.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Oh, I remember when those news were posted. In particular I remember that I speculated on what titles we could expect on the machine. Let's see if I was off the mark.

Bedinsis said:
I suspect around half the titles will be from Nintendo, in other words. And more than likely most titles will come from Japanese developers. The number of games will probably around 30, or maybe less if they perceive the value of the individual titles as being higher(and if the space they take on disk is higher).

Some contenders would be:

Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
F-Zero
Donkey Kong Country
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter II(some version)
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV, V or VI (probably one and not all of them)
Super Mario RPG (if there are no rights issues)
Super Castlevania
Super Punch-out
I guessed around half the titles would be from Nintendo. By my count 2/3 are from Nintendo, so my guess was incorrect.
I guessed most of the titles would come from Japanese developers. As far as I can see only Donkey Kong Country is made by non-Japanese developers, so my guess was correct.
I guessed there would be around 30 titles, or maybe less if the perceived value was higher. 21 is less, but I kind of hedged my bets.
I guessed for 12 titles(one of which was Donkey Kong Country), all but one(Chrono Trigger) will be on the mini-SNES, so my guess was not that off.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
So the NES gets 30 out of 712 and the SNES get's 21 out of 783? kinda weird but okay.
I wanted to wait with buying the NES untill I knew it could be hacked and more games could be added... my mistake.
I'll pre-order this and it'll undoubtedly get hacked after a while so I can add more games.

My biggest question: HOW LONG WILL THE CONTROLLER CABLES BE???