Nintendo Apologizes for Shortages of Switch Hardware

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Apologizes for Shortages of Switch Hardware

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1368/1368015.jpgNintendo has issued an apology for Switch shortages, and has said it plans to increase the amount of consoles available.

If you've tried to lay your hands on Nintendo Switch console, you know that it's been hard to come by since its launch in March. Nintendo realizes it too, and the company has now issued an apology on its Japanese website [https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2017/0622.html]. In the statement (translated by Google), Nintendo says that it plans to increase the number of Switch consoles available (at least in Japan), especially for the Splatoon 2 Switch Bundle, which is coming to retail on July 21.

The statement says, "For autumn and beyond, we will continue to work to ensure that as many products as possible can be delivered to our customers towards the end of the year, such as further strengthening our production system."

This isn't all that surprising to see, as Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime had previously admitted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170251-Nintendo-Says-Sometimes-it-Gets-it-Wrong-on-Supply] that when it came to supply issues, "sometimes we get it wrong."

The company had previously announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170235-Nintendo-Switch-Ships-2-74-Million-Units-March-Hopes-For-10-M-in-Next-Fiscal-Year] that it had shipped 2.74 million units in March of this year, and that it hoped to ship an additional 10 million in the coming fiscal year.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Not good enough,Nintendo. Recently,they've demonstrated that they're artificially inflating demand with artificial shortages. This apology seems hollow and disingenuous. What Nintendo needs to do is actually DO something about it,rather than pay lipservice to the customers. Facta non verba,Nintendo. Get it done,talk about it after.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Riddle78 said:
Recently,they've demonstrated that they're artificially inflating demand with artificial shortages.
Wrong. [http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendo-battles-apple-for-parts-as-demand-for-switch-console-soars-2017-05-30]

P.S. Thanks

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Not in Finland we have no shortages of these... so anyone wanting one could just come here on Holiday and step into a gaming or electronic store and buy one :D
My town has 15k inhabitants, one electronic store, they had 5 Switches at launch, they sold out pretty fast, went 1 week and they got 5 more in, same happened, then the third batch came in and 2 of the switch packages are still in the shelf.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Covarr said:
Riddle78 said:
Recently,they've demonstrated that they're artificially inflating demand with artificial shortages.
Wrong. [http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendo-battles-apple-for-parts-as-demand-for-switch-console-soars-2017-05-30]

P.S. Thanks
In this instance,Nintendo had everything to gain,and nothing to lose,by saying something along those lines. Considering the "All the money now,sod tomorrow" mentality of modern business (Which is wholly unsustainable,and the people in charge really need to pull their heads out of eachother's asses),it's entirely possible that they either made that excuse up whole cloth,or are making mountains out of molehills for the sake of image. When it comes to big business,a dim view is the safest assumption,because history has demonstrated that they're loathe to do anything positive without some serious arm-bending.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Riddle78 said:
Covarr said:
Riddle78 said:

P.S. Thanks
In this instance,Nintendo had everything to gain,and nothing to lose,by saying something along those lines. Considering the "All the money now,sod tomorrow" mentality of modern business (Which is wholly unsustainable,and the people in charge really need to pull their heads out of eachother's asses),it's entirely possible that they either made that excuse up whole cloth,or are making mountains out of molehills for the sake of image. When it comes to big business,a dim view is the safest assumption,because history has demonstrated that they're loathe to do anything positive without some serious arm-bending.
So let me see if I understand you right, you're saying that Nintendo is making up an industry wide shortage on flash memory? A shortage that to my knowledge they haven't even released a public statement about.

Excuse me, but I think you're grasping at straws here. Listen, Nintendo has done a lot of dumb and shady things, no argument there, bit in this particular instance it honestly looks like there is legitimate reasons why they can't meet demand.

Now if you would like to provide a source that shows Nintendo is actually making up this shortage, then I would be happy to read it.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
At least they said something but it is not enough. You finally bring out a console everyone including myself want and nobody can find one yet the games are everywhere. It's bullshit.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Riddle78 said:
Nintendo needs to do is actually DO something about it
They are doing something about it. They are telling the world that their console is selling out too fast to replenish stocks. They are telling people that it is so popular, that it will be months before they are on the shelves again, so pre-order now to reserve your unit.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
Riddle78 said:
Nintendo needs to do is actually DO something about it
They are doing something about it. They are telling the world that their console is selling out too fast to replenish stocks. They are telling people that it is so popular, that it will be months before they are on the shelves again, so pre-order now to reserve your unit.
Last I checked no one has preorders?
Plus I doubt many, if any, stores will have a preorder for an already released console.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Rednog said:
Plus I doubt many, if any, stores will have a preorder for an already released console.
Pre-ordering one of the soon to be released restock units.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
If people believe the whole ?Artificial Shortage? false argument, know one simple plain everybody and their grandparents know fact.

Artificial Shortages are a one way ticket to being sued by every company on the chain from product creation through distribution. Why? Because a company creating an artificial shortage is breaking contract.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Rednog said:
I think you can at most major retailers here in Belgium. It's not as much a pre-order as just a waiting list. I'll probably do so for a grey Switch. You can get one of the blue/red joycon Switches but they look so garish.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
Rednog said:
Pre-ordering one of the soon to be released restock units.
Yeah they don't really do that. After initial release its first come first serve and the stores reserve the right to refuse to hold a console for you. Nintendo needs to put up enough stock that people can reasonably call in and have a console be there when they swing by the store.

This is another in the long list of reasons that specialized gaming stores are losing in a big way to online sales via Amazon or the manufacturer's own online site.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Yeah they don't really do that.
Seriously? Here in Australia they will hold something for you as soon as it's restocked. We don't have a Switch shortage though. Might be because it's more expensive ($450) than the PS4/Xbone (deals start at $400), has fewer games, and isn't as powerful.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Didn't this shit happen with the NES classic? And they said they learned their lesson? Pfffffft hahahaha.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
008Zulu said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Seriously? Here in Australia they will hold something for you as soon as it's restocked. We don't have a Switch shortage though. Might be because it's more expensive ($450) than the PS4/Xbone (deals start at $400), has fewer games, and isn't as powerful.
Things are awfully bleak in Australia... I don't even want one of these. Shouldn't a lack of demand drive the price down?

Fox12 said:
Didn't this shit happen with the NES classic? And they said they learned their lesson? Pfffffft hahahaha.
Too true. Whether it's artificial or not (as this seems to be up for debate), the fact is that Nintendo should never have this problem, having gone through it before.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
They don't hold items that are in demand but have low stocks. I asked for a hold on the Wii and was told there was a no hold policy. 2 years after release when the Wii still had shortage issues. I have a buddy that works at the local EB Games. The policy on whether or not they can hold a console for someone is in Nintendo's hands.

The manager of the same EB that my friend works at would be on the phone every day telling people that Nintendo wasn't going to be restocking Switches by more than maybe 1 or 2 every 2-3 weeks until mid July or August. And that was April. And the no holds policy is in place. So the only way to get one in North America is to check their online stock or call in and hurry over. I would have bought one on Amazon by now but its $180 more there for some reason.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
They don't hold items that are in demand but have low stocks.
I remember hearing about the Wii shortages, it was something of a surprise that I was able to walk in to EB and buy one for my sister as a birthday present, on a whim.

How would Nintendo know if a store is holding for someone though?