Nintendo Breaks Out the Giant Snakes for New Skyward Sword Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Zenode said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Skyward Sword is an early tale in the Zelda canon, perhaps even the earliest, as it comes before Ocarina of Time in the timeline.
I think Minish Cap has been stated as being the very first in the timeline (and if you play it, it definitely makes sense)

Probably won't buy it, but it definitely looks interesting
I had heard that as well, but unfortunately the evidence doesn't support it, something not all that uncommon when it comes to the Legend of Zelda timeline.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
Well, cel-shading (especially that sort) just always struck me as a cheap and shallow way to try injecting personality, trying to pass generic cutesiness off as charm and character.

I still maintain that Team Fortress 2 (quite a leap from Wind Waker there, I know :p) is the only game that I've played that is well-suited to a cel-shading art style, and that's because every single aspect of the tone and background lends itself to it. With Zelda, it just seems like they're taking the same Zelda games and tone and giving them a new art style that doesn't fit. It smacks of trying too hard to be quirky and stylized.

Still, a lot of people seem to disagree, so it's probably got as much to do with personal taste than any of that. Even if I don't like the style, it's good that the variety exists. Just so long as they keep putting out what I like too. ;)
I wouldn't say Team Fortress 2 is quite "cel-shaded", but it's got a damn good art-style :D Gotta one of my favourite games, along with the Zelda series. But then, if no one decided to take risks with their art direction, there would be none of the same TF2 you see today; it was originally going to be bland and grey and brown like the first one. I appreciate that Nintendo at least had a go at it, even if it didn't appeal to all fans :p If they hadn't, there would be even more cries of "Nintendo! Y U NO do anything different!?".

Yeah, it really just comes down to personal taste. When Wind Waker was first announced as being cel-shaded, I was thinking "God, what have they done...?!", but after actually playing it, it really grew on me hehe. I'm liking how they have a mix of Wind Waker's and Twilight Princess' artistic flair for Skyward Sword - serves well for fans of both haha.

Captcha: thumbs up - :D

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Zenode said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Skyward Sword is an early tale in the Zelda canon, perhaps even the earliest, as it comes before Ocarina of Time in the timeline.
I think Minish Cap has been stated as being the very first in the timeline (and if you play it, it definitely makes sense)

I had heard that as well, but unfortunately the evidence doesn't support it, something not all that uncommon when it comes to the Legend of Zelda timeline.
I recently started Minish Cap, and the intro immediately reminded me of Skyward Sword. The backstory involves a hero from the sky driving back the monsters.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Not really a LoZ-style plot.
Not that that's a bad thing, but why do they have to involve LoZ at all, when this story could work just as well as a new IP.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
Seventh Actuality said:
Huh, a cartoonish Zelda game that doesn't sacrifice actual mood and character in a misguided attempt to be "stylized"? This pleases me, I guess. I still prefer the Twilight Princess look for the wistful--fairytale-adventure vibe, but this beats that personality free cel-shading.
Personality free? Are you sure you've played the same game as I have?

In any event, can't wait to see where Nintendo takes this incarnation of the Zelda universe.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Zenode said:
Logan Westbrook said:

How does the evidence not support it?? Waaaait....I just remembered that the minish gave a young hero the green garmet a sword and shining light (The Triforce?) to protect the kingdom from evil "years before" (could be centuries or something not too sure) So Skyward Sword could be that original hero the Minish refer to? BUT the Minish cap is also about the creation of the four swords.....ergh this does my head in.

but I don't think anyone will know the official Zelda timeline (if there is one) until Miyamoto's on his deathbed

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
starwarsgeek said:
AyreonMaiden said:
Just what DO people want when they say "Zelda needs to innovate?"

I think some of them don't look at anything other than the core mechanics. Sometimes, it's easy to look at a long-running franchise and think they all look the same.
I feel that, but at the same time, Zelda's 25 years old. Wanting the skeleton of the series to change is like asking Square to make a Final Fantasy without bishies, or with shitty graphics, or without chocobos, or one that repeats an older game's battle system instead of having a brand new one.

Or, say, an Xcom that's not a Turn Based Strategy game. See how the fans reacted to that?

Zelda only needs to be like Zelda because there is nothing like Zelda. There are Zelda-like games, and then there's Zelda. It only needs to change the smaller things like plot, art direction, sidequests, setting, secondary mechanics (such as the Sailing in WW or the Clock in MM.) But it doesn't need to change its basic gameplay model, which is essentially exploring dungeons, solving puzzles using various items, and the eternal cycle of the Triforce between Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.

Some things are just...staples.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
AyreonMaiden said:
Zelda only needs to be like Zelda because there is nothing like Zelda. There are Zelda-like games, and then there's Zelda. It only needs to change the smaller things like plot, art direction, sidequests, setting, secondary mechanics (such as the Sailing in WW or the Clock in MM.) But it doesn't need to change its basic gameplay model, which is essentially exploring dungeons, solving puzzles using various items, and the eternal cycle of the Triforce between Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.

Some things are just...staples.
Completely agreed. Most series I play don't even bring Zelda's amount of variety. Its teams seem to know how to do this very well...they offer change without abandoning the core of the series.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Zenode said:
How does the evidence not support it?? Waaaait....I just remembered that the minish gave a young hero the green garmet a sword and shining light (The Triforce?) to protect the kingdom from evil "years before" (could be centuries or something not too sure) So Skyward Sword could be that original hero the Minish refer to? BUT the Minish cap is also about the creation of the four swords.....ergh this does my head in.
Heh, tell me about it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_302/8789-Ocarina-of-Timelines].

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Craazhy said:
I'm really pleased in how much this game appears to be drawing from its Ocarina of Time roots and revisiting what made this series so great to begin with.
"Ocarina of Time roots"?
"Great to begin with"?

Wat

What is this?
This is like saying that Final Fantasy 7 is the first in the series.

You poor child! How have you not had the immense pleasure of any of the four games in the series before OoT?!
OK, the NES titles haven't aged so well, but ALTTP and Link's Awakening are still engrossing and with luster.
That means there are incredibly cheap, great games out there, just waiting for you to play them! Go, enjoy!

For me, with the rounded nose, that hair, the bright, bright color scheme, and some monsters that haven't seen the light of day in three dimensions, it seems like a total throwback to ALTTP, to me.
More importantly, it marks THE RETURN OF MULLET LINK.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Well, statistically there are some right handed Links out there. I mean, they're not all the same guy, although they do share the same dopey look on their faces.