Nintendo Bullies Fan Sites Over Pokemon B&W Pics

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
They could just do a worldwide release. Just saying. You don't have voice acting, 90% of the translations are already done (Pikachu is still Pikachu).

I'm really tired of companies being overly protective of pre-release material. (Square Enix pulled some bullshit last week about western audiences not being allowed to see the TGS trailers, fuck you.) Welcome to the digital age, we share information. Maybe if it was a hidden design document you didn't want us to see yet, I can understand, that's practically espionage now. But this is just game details that have been RELEASED. Seeing the sprites is practically an ad. If you don't want a market seeing it before they can play it, than you better start working double-time to release it there quickly. Or just be a ***** and hire a lawyer.

dante_136

Jan 12, 2009
So what's next? Are they gonna put pressure on magazines and sites that say that Black and White is the just another re-hash of Red and Blue like the rest of the series?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I'm afraid Nintendo might shoot itself in the foot if they keep this up. They have some of the most die-hard fans in the business, but every time they try to show a little love it's "copyright infringement for you." If they keep this kind of thing off, people might get turned off of their games rather than hyped up.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
BlueHighwind said:
They could just do a worldwide release. Just saying. You don't have voice acting, 90% of the translations are already done (Pikachu is still Pikachu).

I'm really tired of companies being overly protective of pre-release material. (Square Enix pulled some bullshit last week about western audiences not being allowed to see the TGS trailers, fuck you.) Welcome to the digital age, we share information. Maybe if it was a hidden design document you didn't want us to see yet, I can understand, that's practically espionage now. But this is just game details that have been RELEASED. Seeing the sprites is practically an ad. If you don't want a market seeing it before they can play it, than you better start working double-time to release it there quickly. Or just be a ***** and hire a lawyer.
Like the fact that it's impossible to see the Captain America trailer that was privately screened a few months ago. Why? Shouldn't people who want to know a product be able to hype themselves up with pre-release info? Do these people even understand what advertising is supposed to do?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PokeBeach is right to be angry here. This is just a complete blockheaded move from Nintendo. Why stop fans getting psyched for your game?

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
If this is a hoax, it's an effective one.

Nintendo feels contempt for its fanbase, that's not a big secret, but this seems a bit drastic.
Heart of Darkness said:
I was going to post the news from Bulbapedia that this might be a hoax, but it seems that they don't think it's a hoax anymore. Oh well. I'll still try to find that post from PokeBeach, though.

EDIT: Found it [http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=86852&pid=1703179#pid1703179]. Although it really doesn't prove anything, it's interesting to think about. Looks like we'll just have to wait and see how this unfolds, if indeed it does.
I mean, this is something I expect Nintendo to do, but the post linked to there makes it seem unlikely. I suppose we'll track details as they unfold.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ridiculous. At this point many people (I assume) have already imported the game and will see these new Pokemon anyway. Hopefully the Nintendo thought-police will not execute me for daring to look at the sprites in my imported copy of White. Now if you'll excuse me...(returns to my semi-legal activities)

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure the use of any and all images of an unreleased, or already released game on a fansite in a noncommercial way that is used to provide commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, etc etc, for the upcoming, or already released game, constitutes the Fair Use Exception. This seems pretty harsh on Nintendo's part.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
"fair use"???
but then again, fansites dont have the monetary power to resist nintendos wishes.

Apr 28, 2008
Thank you nintendo for hiding all info on this game. Now I won't know about it and won't buy it since you took down all info on it. Mission accomplished.

Your mission was to stop people from buying the games, right? Because if so then yeah, mission accomplished.

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
"We hope that all English-speakers will remove images of Black and White from their websites, forums, blogs, YouTubes, Facebooks, instant messages, e-mails, homes, and minds
Nintendo...they have mind wiping technology...well...i wouldn't be surprised if they really do...but for real..don't even THINK about Pokemon Black & White...you heard them...

if this game ever bombed (i know it won't tho) they should remember this quote...

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
While googling my way across the internet to learn more about this I read some interesting things. Some things these sites did was use a leaked source prior to release and there has been suspected ROM use in order to obtain the sprites. Water Pokemon Master has openly admitted to using ROMS and Serebii, while not admitting it, appears to. Of course, this is all speculation and we really have no idea exactly why Nintendo did what they did.

I also read something similar to this happened to a Metroid site awhile back. if I can find where I read that, I'll post it.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
OK, if those were leaked images, sure, but they have to remove images from the game now that the game is out? Come on guys. That really disappoints me.

AstylahAthrys said:
While googling my way across the internet to learn more about this I read some interesting things. Some things these sites did was use a leaked source prior to release and there has been suspected ROM use in order to obtain the sprites. Water Pokemon Master has openly admitted to using ROMS and Serebii, while not admitting it, appears to. Of course, this is all speculation and we really have no idea exactly why Nintendo did what they did.

I also read something similar to this happened to a Metroid site awhile back. if I can find where I read that, I'll post it.
EDIT: OK - this actually puts a new spin on it in my opinion. If the reason is related to illegal copies of the game then I think their punishment is not only just but probably lenient... nevertheless, I'd love to have more info about this.

Second edit:
OK, this is one of the things I hate about posting in a section that a: is going to get tons of results, and b: is going to provoke a strong, immediate reaction from people who find the material objectionable. Not only did I miss the obvious idea that it could have been leaked and they may have been running roms and such (I only ever looked at the pokemon page) I also clearly didn't read about the hoax. Hell, I even like to give people the benefit of the doubt online, where a million pieces of endless data are flinging back and forth, and if you blink, you'll miss something.

But it's bound to happen, you read something, it bugs you, you have to comment. Then you realize you missed so much context that you probably should revise your statement.

Nevertheless, the letter seems at least a little - hoaxy, though at the same time it could be a translation, in which case you can't know where the problems arise. I dunno, the worst part is, if it's legit and the sites are also OK, then it's kind of a good reason to boycott. If it's a hoax or if they were doing some kind of hacking/leaking/something, then I'm certainly going to buy the game. I just wish there was a way to get all the details. Stupid internet.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Autofaux said:
...aaand Nintendo has proven again that it hasn't lost its dickhead talent.
If anything feels they have been on a roll with it recently. God forbid anyone even utter the name anymore