Nintendo Can Disable a Pirate's 3DS Remotely

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
pfft, serves em right if you ask me, although if i do get a 3DS, apparently i'll need to be careful about buying games online

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
You know, at this rate, the next Nintedo concole (Maybe the 4DS or Puu or something) will fire a tranquiliser dart at anyone who trys to play a pirated game on it. Then, it'll send out a signal before somehow transporting the pirate to an underground prison.

... Well, I would enjoy it. If only because I don't pirate.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Russian_Assassin said:
But, after reading this, I am hesitant to buy a 3DS, because I am afraid I will do something to anger it, something irrelevant to piracy, mind you, but who guarantees that the device won't just snap and do whatever it likes?
you mean like hack into your computer, infultrate the internet and them organise a worldwide computer rebellion against man? because that's the only reason i haven't pre-ordered a 3DS yet

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
also, they can kill you with their brains. let this be a lesson for everyone: don't screw with teh Nintendos!

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Odjin said:
Flashcards run already on the 3DS.
Do have to point out that they haven't cracked the 3DS, just got DS flash cards running on it. 3DS software (and DSi-only software) is still secure.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
JediMB said:
*reads the source articles*

Destructoid's Dale North is merely speculating on the possibilities of the 3DS' playtime logging feature.

GoNintendo's RawmeatCowboy shows us that retailers are worried that unsupported modifications might lead to firmware updates "bricking" the machines, as the updates might be incompatible with the modifications. This has always been an issue with the Wii as well, and is in no way a sign of Nintendo having plans to disable 3DS units remotely!
So, reporting rumor and speculation as fact. Gotcha. Classy, Escapist, classy.

*Captcha: heAct time. How did they know?

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
These companies/developers seem to forget that spite is really the most powerful force in the world.

Kalezian said:
but honestly, Im all for game and console developers trying to stem the tide of piracy, but telling me that you can at your own will make my console not do what I bought it for in the first place doesn't make me want to give you money.
I agree with this.

Anyway I haven't played Nintendo game since SNES so I should probably just shut up :)

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Good on Nintendo for being the first company to have the stones to really take the fight to the pirates with this one.

If they accidentally disable an innocent person's 3DS there will obviously be some kind of compensation, probably along the lines of "here have a free 3DS and maybe some games." You people keep making this look worse than it is.

If pirates really want to steal from these hardworking developers then they can deal with the consequences that Nintendo has laid out. It's their own damn fault for breaking the law.

And won't you have to be hooked up to the internet for Nintendo to even monitor you? You guys should be taking that into consideration. Of course I don't know how pirating works exactly but you can only access torrent sites on the internet obviously.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
they also have remote detonators that can set off bombs that spray acid into your eyes if you watch youtube videos on how to hack a 3ds. and then the pieces will turn out to be nanobots and murder your loved ones and your loved one's dogs. and then violently rape you. and then steal all your stuff, never to be seen again. and all this is after it successfully frames you for a school shooting.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Irridium said:
It'll be funny to read about the first time they accidentally brick some innocent guy's 3DS.
bonus points modification for a disability or something

yea i see this ending very badly only a matter of time

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Combined with the price point, I seriously doubt this thing is going to sell. If anything, it's going to sell more of the DS lite, since that's bound to dive in price and it's not a portable information collection hub.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I'm not happy about this. Try this level of invasiveness on nearly anything else and you get a sound hate on from the people. Nintendo tries it and way to many people are okay with it. Shows how much the companies image influences what they can get away with.

This is strikingly similar to the Apple system proposed, you know the one that can track your phones activity and even take pictures with the camera if the apple overlords so desire.

I said it before, just because it's possible for someone to do something doesn't make it right.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
you can always rip out the WIFI chip
also WHY are people still working with regions? it,s something from the past let it die

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
This feels like it is connected in some way to the Sony vs Geohot case. Geo suggests that what he does with his device is his own business. He also suggests removing features post release is slimy. Here we have a 3DS, which feels like it's on loan, or has a "do not void the service agreement... or else" sticker tagged onto it.

In this sense, I agree with Geohot. My device; I can fiddle with it how I please. Ignoring the creepy big-brother-always-on Saurons Eye function of the device, shutting down a devices function because it didn't like something you did is shady to say the least.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Asuka Soryu said:
vrbtny said:
All the overbearing, completely OTT control freak/anti-piracy thing aside..... can I say?

Pirates are gonna get Owned.
Careful, they might take that as a challenge and then one day will hear some hackers bragging they finally broke it as Nintendo goes nuts.
One day? You mean like already?

EcksTeaSea said:
And this is why I am not getting one anymore, unless someones cracks this of course.
To be fair Nintendo isn't planning to brick pirated consoles.

The actual warning says that modifications can LEAD to bricking because they can't account for it.

But sensationalist news is the kind that gets replies.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Damn, Nintendo is playing hard, but the pirates will win, the higher you raise the bar, the more effort they will make, I´m not buying the 3DS so I can enjoy this as a neutral party.