Nintendo Ceases Production of the New 3DS in Japan

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Ceases Production of the New 3DS in Japan

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1418/1418396.jpgNintendo is done making the New 3DS in Japan, but the New 3DS XL is still going strong, apparently.

It seems like Nintendo always announces the end of production for its hardware in the most obscure way possible. That's typically with a small note on its Japanese website. That's happened again, as the company has announced that production of the New 3DS has ceased.

Over on the official Nintendo Japan website [https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/3dsseries/new3ds/index.html], the magic of Google translate reveals that the New 3DS lineup is marked as "All production ended." However, there is no such message on the page for the New 3DS XL.

That's not terribly surprising, as that's the current top-end model of the handheld, and the soon-to-be-released New 2DS XL will be filling the lower-priced slot in the handheld lineup.

Of course, there will still be units available in some stores for a while. There's also no word on when or how this will affect units outside Japan. That said, if you've been holding off on picking up a New 3DS, you might want to think about making that purchase before it's too late.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
If you want a budget handheld you can wait for the New 2DS XL, and if you want a portable gaming console that can actually fit in your pocket you can go fuck yourself.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Johnson McGee said:
If you want a budget handheld you can wait for the New 2DS XL, and if you want a portable gaming console that can actually fit in your pocket you can go fuck yourself.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
008Zulu said:
The 2DSXL isn't out in America yet? We have them here in Australia.
At first I thought you were confusing the New 2DS XL and the regular 2DS XL, but no, it's really been out in the AU region since June 15th. I suppose it's nice for you guys to get something first for for once, let alone a month before Japan itself got it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Well, I'm happy I got the regular sized model of the 3DS, I don't see the use of a "handheld" the size of a fridge in my hand. Atleast the original Gameboy had good reasons to be a brick.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Chimpzy said:
I suppose it's nice for you guys to get something first for for once, let alone a month before Japan itself got it.
I am now highly suspicious; Why did Australia get a new Nintendo console, before Japan and America?