Nintendo CEO Takes 50% Pay Cut

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Sorry for all the chatter. I just wanted to ask...

...and no one has a Reggie joke for this? Sad...

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Thought they would learn after there first failed 3-d console, guess you can't learn an old dog to sit, but atleast they are acknowledged it themselves.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
SgtFoley said:
figment of mind said:
Jumwa said:
What kind of bizarro universe is this news report from?! A CEO taking a pay cut for failing to do their job correctly?!

I don't know how things work in Nintendo, but here in North America when a CEO bungles something horribly, we give him pay raises and government bail out money.
And we sit back and watch them squander that money while killing the company until every ounce of life is taken from it and they file bankrupcy and close down, letting tousands of workers lose their job and fucking them over while everyone else in the world who gave a crap looks at the goverment and asks, "Why didn't you guys do something to stop this?", and said CEO's go on to work as CEO or another high rank job at another company and bleed them dry...

Also, anyone else under the impression now that CEO's are vampires and that we should stake them?
You do realise that most CEOs of companies that needed bailing out got canned right? Ya I agree CEOs should not be giving themselves a record size bonus while at the same time reporting record size losses. What you do have to realise is that a CEO is one of the least stable jobs out there.
Umm no, most ceo's were not fired, nor did anything happen to most. CEO's unstable job? Yea right.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Jumwa said:
What kind of bizarro universe is this news report from?! A CEO taking a pay cut for failing to do their job correctly?!

I don't know how things work in Nintendo, but here in North America when a CEO bungles something horribly, we give him pay raises and government bail out money.
HAHA! Ninja'd...

Seriously, if CEOs and politicians in the States were more willing to take the same approach as Nintendo during hard financial times, maybe the U.S. economy wouldn't be creeping towards collapse the way that it is.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Good for Nintendo, for a while there I was beginning to think that they don't care anymore, but I'm glad they're actually taking some responsibility for this.

Much respect Iwata.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Well you can't see me but I am applauding behind my monitor, Good show Nintendo Exec's.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
koroem said:
I wonder what kind of pay cut they will take when the Wii U releases....
This.
Hopefully they'll learn from this and go back to the drawing board with that mistake of a console concept.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
The pay cut IS a gesture of some sort, I guess, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't do anything and won't be the thing to bring Nintendo's revenue back up. Hardware and software is the key.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Wow. A CEO actually taking personal responsibility for his company's market failures. That's kind of noble. I really feel like I should do something to encourage this kind of integrity and...

...Oh, $@%&. I'm going to have to get a 3DS, aren't I...?

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
This is what a real person does!

This man deserves a medal, instead of laying off workers, he cuts himself in half, sure he's still living wealthy, but.. wow.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
mysecondlife said:
whoa... CEOs ACTUALLY didn't layoff hundreds of their employees just so they can keep their regular wage.
well to be fair Nintendo is a Japaneses company so they do have morals lol

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Richard Allen said:
Low Key said:
Any time I read a CEO takes a pay cut, I don't find it endearing at all. Oh, you mean he has to make do with only a half a million dollars? How poor and unfortunate of him. If only we all could be so lucky.
If you're an idiot a paycut of about %50 percent can screw up your life just as much as not having a lot of money in the first place (no sympathy for the devil type thing) but it could hurt. This guy clearly has lead nintendo well the past 10 years and a a salary of 1.8 mill is nothing in that posistion, I'm sure he earned every cent, and it's a classy move that on the first big mistake this isn't turning into a fit about pay.

He's taking the responsible approach and should be credited for that, is he going to starve clearly not but after leading a company like he has and deserves $$$ because he did his job well. It came off as if you want to give him shit because he's payed more then you and jealousy. People can earn that type of money and saying he doesn't' deserve a clap for taking responsibility and a huge pay cut is silly
You can think what you want, but a CEO taking a pay cut and still making 6 figures doesn't impress me. If you want to commend him for it, go right ahead, but just because you do doesn't mean I have to. I have no need to be jealous. I make enough money and live within my means.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
A true gentleman among giants. Mr. Iwata, I applaud you, and wish you the best of luck.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
weeny eyestrain-o-vision is not what the masses want and kids don't have the funds to pay for the games

= severe niche market

prettymuch sums up recent handheld platform issues,
but the honest truth from my point of view is i'd rather play games on a smartphone in the bus station than street-fighter or Mario or something on a separate device that i also have to carry around, and then there's the 3d... why? why is everyone obsessed with 3d? it's not even real depth we already have that what were being sold now is a fake pop up book depth of field polarising fish-eye filter that will push your perspective around and eventually give you a migraine or so badly screw up your depth perception that you have trouble touching the ends of your fingers together

i'm in the first category, by the way.