Nintendo Cereal Sells for Big Money

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Cereal Sells for Big Money

Slap the name Nintendo on anything, even cereal, and someone will want to pay hundreds of dollars for it.

A collector, or someone very hungry for Nintendo, has purchased a box of classic Nintendo cereal for $207.50 through eBay. Despite being 22 years old, the box is unopened, increasing its value. The product was the result of a team-up between Nintendo and Ralston Cereals, also the creator of Cookie Crisp, the most healthy breakfast you could eat that was really just a bowl of cookies.

Nintendo's foray into breakfast food was marketed almost as a videogame system itself, dubbed the Nintendo Cereal System. The box was divided between two different kinds of cereal, one called the Super Mario Bros Action Series and the other The Legend of Zelda Adventure Series. The Super Mario Bros side was "fruity" flavored and included Marios, Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Bowsers, and mushrooms. The Legend of Zelda Adventure Series was "berry" flavored and made up of Links, hearts, keys, boomerangs, and shields. None of the crunchy cereal pieces actually looked much like their videogame counterparts, but I guess it didn't really matter to kids that loved Nintendo so much they wanted to ingest it.

The seller made sure to put a disclaimer in his auction stating: "ONLY ONE DISCLAIMER IT WOULD NOT BE WISE TO EAT THE CONTENTS OF THIS BOX EVEN THOUGH I NO YOU WILL WANT TO. I THOUGHT ABOUT IT MENY TIMES MY SELF." From this statement, we can only assume he/she knows from experience.

The Nintendo Cereal System is an entertaining blip in videogame history, though its true claim to fame comes from the associated advertising campaign. The song developed for its television ad is easily one of the catchiest in history, where kids exclaim: "Nintendo, it's for breakfast now! Nintendo, it's a cereal wow!" Just watch for yourself:

(Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5476743/box-of-cereal-old-enough-to-drink-legally-and-vote-sold-for-200])

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I remember eating that stuff. It tasted just like any other generic fruity sugar cereal.

I'm sure it tastes a lot worse after sitting on a shelf for a few decades.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
If i wasn't worries about the health hazards over eating a 22 year old box of cereal i'd pop open the box and chow down

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
The number of times I thought to myself: "Hey! Why not buy that special limited-edition stupid thing and store it in my attic for a few decades? It could be worth something!"

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
I bet that wasn't much of a line change for Ralston, slap in a new play-doh style extractor and off to the races.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Wow. That's big money for a big cereal. I thought I was crazy for spending £7 on a box of Lucky Charms (you can't really get them in England any more), but this takes the prize.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
...It seems like the pokemon cereal, it looked good, but tasted rank.

Ahh... the follies of youth, not even Nintendo can make good cereals.

Apr 28, 2008
I swear, everytime I think people can't get anymore insane, then something like this happens.

BlueTomfoolery said:
"Hey, want to see my collection of cereal?" Is a great ice-breaker for the ladies.
Bitches love breakfast cereal ;)

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I remember having this in my youth. I don't remember it being very tasty, like it was less sweet than most sugar-cereals of the day. Certainly not as bland as the damned Kix my mom would consistently buy. Stupid Kix adverts!

Corn is most definitely NOT enough! Put some damned sugar in there!!!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I just dont want to think about what the contents looks like...

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
If i wasn't worries about the health hazards over eating a 22 year old box of cereal i'd pop open the box and chow down
not sure i would eat that when it was new. I'm a student who will eat almost anything but that looks bad. never trust food made by a gaming company.