Nintendo Chief on Add-ons, DS and Developing Countries

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Nintendo Chief on Add-ons, DS and Developing Countries

Nintendo chief Satoru Iwata sat one-on-one with the Wall Street Journal to discuss expansion into small countries, Wii MotionPlus and the DS's non-gaming features.

The success of the Wii has catapulted Satoru Iwata into the respected levels [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/70004] of executive-dom, earning him and his company the admiration of mainstream media.

The Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121780805792108617.html?mod=googlenews_wsj] talked to Iwata about the next steps he has for Nintendo as the company moves into newer markets around the world.

"Our sales may have grown beyond expectations, but there are still a lot of people who have never played videogames. I think there are still many new kinds of games that we can offer to pique the interest of people whom we haven't managed to attract yet," commented Iwata, who still hopes to capture an ever-widening gaming audience. "After we complete our mission in developed countries, then we'll have to start thinking about how to make our products appealing in developing countries. We'll have a whole new dimension of issues to tackle like pricing, quantity availability and regional adaptation. We're not going to meet our goals that easily."

Wii owners worrying about the potential prices for all of Nintendo's peripherals, such as the upcoming Wii MotionPlus, should be able to afford the add-ons, according to Iwata.

"Most of the ideas for accessories that we had initially come up with are out now. We might think up some more, and we might make them if we do, but we don't have any plans to release a whole lot more," said Iwata. "We haven't announced the price yet, but the cost of making the Wii Motion Plus is not that much, so I think we can make it very affordable."

The Nintendo DS platform goes beyond gaming to include book reading [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84146] and language lessons, fighting its way into Blackberry territory.

Iwata explains the strategy, "I think we're doing significantly better than other devices that offer [similar] services. We're trying constantly to think of ways that the DS could be used more often in everyday life -- services we can offer that will make people want to take their DS with them everywhere. We need to convince all kinds of customers that they should own a DS."

While Iwata and company have been formulating never-ending expansion plans, he justifies his actions by redefining gaming in general.

"We're still an entertainment company first and foremost, but the definition of videogames has changed," he concluded. "If we keep our view of what a videogame constitutes as broad as possible, then naturally we're going to be doing things that people might say aren't games."

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
"What we gonna do tonight, Iwata-san?"
"The same thing we do every night... try to take over the world!"

Q9R42

Aug 4, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
"What we gonna do tonight, Iwata-san?"
"The same thing we do every night... try to take over the world!"
Hehe! Good one!

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
So what is the new 'definition' of video games exactly? Anyway, I might be in the minority here, but I will stick by Nintendo through thick and thin, but I have to admit to they need to pull their fingers out of their arses and actually make some awesome first party games, or introduce some new IPs. But instead they are trying to muscle in on territory that they aren't capable of conquering. As far as handhelds go, Nintendo has pretty much always been top dog but I don't see the logic as to why anyone would get a DS that can only do a handful of things (badly I might add) when they can get something like a BlackBerry which can do pretty much everything you want (except play some great 1st party games).

Going back to the 1st party games thing, when Nintendo actually put some effort into their main franchises, then the results are usually damn good (see Zelda series and 3D Mario series), but they seem to have forgotten about their other franchises, like F-Zero and StarFox. Think about it, an F-Zero game with 30-player online races, yes please. And online dogfights with a new StarFox would be sweet. I am aware that they are currently making some new games based from their most successful franchises (SMG2, Other M, New Zelda game). Another game I'm looking foward to is Sin and Punishment 2, I played the first one and loved it. Also, does anyone know what happened to Pikmin 3? I know that they were working on it, but it seems to have dissapeared from view.

OK, final bit now. When Eternal Darkness was in development for the GameCube, Nintendo chose to patent the term 'video game insanity' which is fair enough. But you would have thought they would have used this term more often. Think about it, a new Eternal Darkness game (tone up the scariness/horror a bit), and one which might make use of that stupid vitaity sensor thing. Just slip it on your finger, play the game and the more your heartrate increases due to the sketchiness of things, the more messed up things get in-game.
Wait what!?! My memory card has been wiped? NO!