Nintendo Confirms Twilight Princess HD Amiibo Functionality

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Confirms Twilight Princess HD Amiibo Functionality

Nintendo has confirmed that the new Wolf Link amiibo will indeed unlock an exclusive dungeon in-game.

A little while ago we heard a report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165896-Amiibo-Exclusive-New-Dungeon-in-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-HD] that suggested The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD's new Wolf Link amiibo would unlock an exclusive new dungeon, and it now looks like Nintendo has gone ahead and confirmed it.

The video you'll see to the right was released by Nintendo Germany, and shows off how you'll use amiibo in the upcoming game. Tapping a Link or Toon Link amiibo to your game pad while in-game will restore your arrows, while Zelda and Sheik's amiibos restore hearts. The Ganondorf amiibo makes the game more difficult by doubling the damaging Link takes.

Finally, the new Wolf Link amiibo unlocks the exclusive "Cave of Shadows" dungeon where Wolf Link and Midna battle against waves of enemies. It looks to be your standard "horde mode" extra game mode, rather than being anything particularly significant to the game's story or plot.

There's currently no word from Nintendo on whether or not the Cave of Shadows will be made available via any other means (such as an eShop purchase).

Source: IGN [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03WTfKyiu_g]

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
That's what I figured the dungeon would be. Other sources who got a hold of some Famitsu scans say this new "Cave of Shadows" a 40 floor gauntlet, similar to the Cave of Ordeals already in TP (so it's kinda redundant, but Wolf Link might shake things up) and the Savage Labyrynth in Wind Waker. The reward is apparently a "giant wallet" that holds 9999 rupees. That might come in handy for using the Magic Armor is the Cave of Ordeals.

I just wish they would add more variety to Wold Link's move set, if the dungeon is completely wolf mode only. I rarely used lupine Link unless necessary, because of how stale it got, compared to bipedal Link who quickly got more toys and sword skills.

It is still a shame they are doing the locked content deal. The other Amiibo uses make more sense, as little gimmicky bonuses. (Glad I got the Ganondorf figure. Twilight Princess on hero mode with his unlock might be a actual challenge.) I know some people don't want a figurine and might buy the game on the eShop, negating any chance of buying the bundle.

Someone really needs to swarm Nintendo's social media pages, asking for those fabled cheaper Amiibos cards or a digital bypass to some of this locked content. Though, there's no telling if Ninty will take time away from their Amiibo money counting to listen.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I'll be surprised if they say it can be purchased in other ways, wouldn't see the point of pushing the shitty micro-amiibo trend otherwise.

They will get worse. I don't how but they'll find a way.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Rumor, rumor, rumor! Stop rumoring, you stupid Escapist! -Oh wait, it's actually true. *ahem*

DLC locked away behind a plastic toy... Wave of the future! Hurray for Nintendo! Now let's watch as Sony decides to pull the same shit.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Rumor, rumor, rumor! Stop rumoring, you stupid Escapist! -Oh wait, it's actually true. *ahem*

DLC locked away behind a plastic toy... Wave of the future! Hurray for Nintendo! Now let's watch as Sony decides to pull the same shit.
I did say if the rumor was true, it would be a very shitty thing to do. I just wanted to wait until after we got news before talking about it.

And...yeah, Sony, Microsoft, and other gaming publishers do that. It's called a pre-order (new?) bonus. All edition of Twilight Princess HD comes with the Amiibo so it's essentially a $10 (the game's $60 physical so it's $10 when bought with the game rather than $13 by itself) bonus for getting the game new.

OT: Yeah, even if the dungeon is rather crappy (really? 40 levels fighting as Wolf Link?) and the prize is dumb (9999 rupees...more money that ultimately goes up my butt to pay for Malo's armor), it still is annoying that it is tied to an Amiibo. But I do guess that's the thing with Amiibo. Put anything too valuable and people will complain.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Nazulu said:
I'll be surprised if they say it can be purchased in other ways, wouldn't see the point of pushing the shitty micro-amiibo trend otherwise.

They will get worse. I don't how but they'll find a way.
Oh, it could definitely be worse. They could've tried charging 10 dollars for the shitty dlc without including the cool toy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

Yes, but it's different when Sony does it, because Nintendo would never do someth--oh.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
And that was all she wrote. Not really as dramatic as people would want to believe, is it? All it really does is unlock a dungeon whose only purpose is to unlock a 9999 rupee wallet. And even in that case that's just done for the Magic Armor so people can break the game in two if they so please.

What I'm interested in is what the Amiibo is going to do for the next Zelda as Nintendo has been very hush-hush about it. They say data will be transferred, but it calls into question what that data exactly is. Also the Wolf Link Amiibo has functions with Hyrule Warriors in that it allows Midna new weapons.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
When I started reading this I got disappointed because Iwata promised that they would always ship a complete Zelda game and would never lock dungeons behind paywalls.
But then i came to the Dorf amiibo and holy shit I'm mad! Really Nintendo? Locking the mother fucking hard difficulty behind a amiibo instead of letting me pick it from the start? I have t finish the game once to unlock hero mode if it's even there (was along time since I finished TP) but then i also need to buy the ugly Dorf amiibo to make it even harder? The easiness of Zelda games are the only major flaw with the series as far as I'm concerned and you "fix" that by locking it behind the amiibo. And not a good amiibo but the TP Dorf amiibo. At least release the Hyrule Warriors Dorf and I will buy it even if it doesn't do anything because of how good the design is.

I'm mad. Not because of the dungeon but because of the difficulty being locked behind a paywall.
For the dungeon I'm seriously disappointed.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
xaszatm said:
And...yeah, Sony, Microsoft, and other gaming publishers do that. It's called a pre-order (new?) bonus. All edition of Twilight Princess HD comes with the Amiibo so it's essentially a $10 (the game's $60 physical so it's $10 when bought with the game rather than $13 by itself) bonus for getting the game new.
The beautiful thing about this is Amazon (and I think also Best Buy and maybe some other retailers) now offers discounts on preordered games to Prime members. I'm getting the physical copy and the Amiibo for less than the eShop version. So, a retailer for once has made the preorder situation better instead of worse.
OT: Yeah, even if the dungeon is rather crappy (really? 40 levels fighting as Wolf Link?) and the prize is dumb (9999 rupees...more money that ultimately goes up my butt to pay for Malo's armor), it still is annoying that it is tied to an Amiibo. But I do guess that's the thing with Amiibo. Put anything too valuable and people will complain.
The dungeon seriously looks like the Cave of Ordeals with different enemy formations and the Wolf Link limitation. That and the worthless prize (except when using it for Magic Armor fuel in ultra hard mode) lessens the effect of the Amiibo lock. Although, it still doesn't bode well that Nintendo won't do something like this with a larger piece of content later on.
Aiddon said:
What I'm interested in is what the Amiibo is going to do for the next Zelda as Nintendo has been very hush-hush about it. They say data will be transferred, but it calls into question what that data exactly is. Also the Wolf Link Amiibo has functions with Hyrule Warriors in that it allows Midna new weapons.
The obvious guess is the recording of the hearts remaining from the trial will come into play in Zelda Wii U. But, the Amiibo might record someone else, perhaps even something they won't say until Zelda U is out. It would be a surprise to find out obsessive compulsive rupee gathering in TP opens up new dialog about Link's habits, or a similar effect, in the next game.

k0n9

Apr 15, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
When I started reading this I got disappointed because Iwata promised that they would always ship a complete Zelda game and would never lock dungeons behind paywalls.
But then i came to the Dorf amiibo and holy shit I'm mad! Really Nintendo? Locking the mother fucking hard difficulty behind a amiibo instead of letting me pick it from the start? I have t finish the game once to unlock hero mode if it's even there (was along time since I finished TP) but then i also need to buy the ugly Dorf amiibo to make it even harder? The easiness of Zelda games are the only major flaw with the series as far as I'm concerned and you "fix" that by locking it behind the amiibo. And not a good amiibo but the TP Dorf amiibo. At least release the Hyrule Warriors Dorf and I will buy it even if it doesn't do anything because of how good the design is.

I'm mad. Not because of the dungeon but because of the difficulty being locked behind a paywall.
For the dungeon I'm seriously disappointed.
Actually Hero Mode is available from the start. It does the same thing that every other hero mode does in Zelda. The Ganondorf amiibo just makes the damage higher (2x damage in regular and 4x damage in hero mode I assume).

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

Fine by me. I already have a Link Amiibo anyway, so it's kind of a fun bonus to know that he'll have beneficial effects for future Zelda games; and the way that multiple Amiibos can give the same effect means that I don't have to feel obligated to buy EVERY Zelda character, just one from each category that I want to use. My only gripe is that the Zelda/Shiek effect seems a little OP if there isn't some limit to it (Once a day? An hour maybe?).

Also, I have no qualms with Sony and Microsoft doing something similar for their systems. As long as it stays out of "pay to win" territory and remains as nice little bonus features, then the more the merrier. Not to mention that we could maybe start seeing the same figure on different systems. Say you want the Shovel Knight figure, but you don't have a Wii U or 3DS. No problem, just get the Playstation or X-Box version of the figure. More choices for consumers is always a good thing.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. At first, I thought the Amiibos were a cool little idea. On paper they're nifty - you pay $12.99 and you get a neat figurine that's decently detailed (some more than others, sadly), and you get some bonus content with your games. Then... Mario Party 10 happened. After that, I got extremely annoyed with Amiibos in practice.