Nintendo Confirms Work is Underway on New Consoles

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
What he's confirming is something that everyone who cares already knows.
Even Sony is working on the PS5. Works on the next console start when the current one released, maybe a small pause. The WiiU came out 2 years ago. If they want a reasonable life cycle of 5-6 years, it's about time for them to develop that thing.

2nd, he didn't really say that the next Mario game will be on the next console. He basically said that they will keep doing what they are doing right now, releasing Mario on every console. That's basically a confirmation that they won't change.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dragonbums said:
Hold on man, your getting too ahead of yourself here. As we have learned these past few months- only a specific group of people are allowed to be catered to personally.

Everyone else are just non gaming whiners out to ruin vidya.
Yes, but I've also learned that it's everyone ELSE who is ruining vidya games for ME. Damn those social justice warriors, demanding not-mes be pandered to.

Colt47 said:
Well, it largely depends on how they handle their IPs and what kind of direction they take with those IPs. For example, bringing back Metroid Prime style games for the Metroid series would likely be a good move since the game type has proven itself, where as trying to do something like Super Mario Sunshine again might not be the best idea. On the hardware end Nintendo also needs it's producers to seriously ask themselves if being one generation in hardware behind Sony and Microsoft is such a good idea. So far the only thing it has done is hurt them since other AAA developers are looking at hardware and realizing releasing on the lower end platform is problematic. If someone owns a PS4 and a Wii U and the same game is released on both consoles for the same price, it makes sense they are going to buy the PS4 version.

People have been saying the best hardware historically has not resulted in the most successful consoles, but times are changing and following such old news in light of how hardware is getting priced now can be disastrous.
But with Sega, they handled their properties the same way before and after they went out of the console business. We have no reason to believe that Nintendo would suddenly change their approach to their games simply because they went out of the hardware business. Their games might actually benefit from the transition. The biggest problem with Sega is that they kept trying to reinvent the turd. Nintendo's made the same quality of games (with, admittedly, some exceptions) whether their hardware's been good (in our estimation) or bad.

The hardware thing is true--somewhat. Sort of. There's a lot of factors, and cost is one of them. By standard logic, Microsoft should have been strong out of the gate--the middle child is often the best seller--except they didn't.

Why? Because one of the biggest deciding factors tends to actually be price. And even that's not set in stone, as the Wii U has demonstrated (in the short run, anyway). Microsoft's got a weaker console that cost more at launch, and when they dropped the price, they managed to get a temporary boost out of it. If the price stays at 350, then the console might actually pull ahead in the long run. Remember, this is what happened with the more expensive PS3. By the end of the console generation, the PS3 was second place and 360 was in dead last, even if only my slight margins. Once the rices become competitive, all bets are off.

I think the tablet is a large factor in putting off the average user, and I don't really care if that's particularly founded, because I'm just going on public perception. People don't go for the best hardware or even the facts. People go on what they've heard and what they think. If people think the tablet is necessary, it might as well be. If people think it's bulky and pointless, it might as well be. If people think there are no games on a console (any console, as it's been claimed for all three current genners), then there might as well be no games in reality.

It's the Liberty Valance effect--when the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Or to borrow another line:

"The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle."

xaszatm said:
I think the two of you have reached peak sarcasm here. Perhaps you should stay away from its source. Clearly you should know that we tabletop gamers are the TRUE GAMERS OF THE EARTH!!! :p
Pffft. This isn't peak sarcasm. I can go harder, and even achieve multiple sarcasm.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
Remus said:
I couldn't "Meh" harder. Nintendo doing its own thing as per usual, and in the process will likely further limit their audience to the 5 and 50+yr old circuit
Their audience isn't limited. Your mind is. They make games for everybody.
No, it's actually really limited. The only company making any notable games for Wii U is Nintendo, so the only people who are interested in its library are people who like Nintendo's games more than anyone else's or people who like Nintendo games and already own another system to satisfy their 3rd-party needs.

The PS4's and XBOne's libraries can appeal to people who like 3-rd parties more than their 1st-parties, people who like both equally and people who like their 1st-party more than 3rd-party.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Colt47 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Oh what glorious times await us as the Wii-Thrii comes closer and closer to release.

The ever present "IS NINTENDO DEAD?" articles the first year, the inevitable "NINTENDO IS BOUNCING BACK!" articles after they get some games out and folks start buying the machine, and the usual arguments over tech versus design and how third parties just don't support Nintendo anymore. How eager I am to relive all of this again and again and again.

This must be what it feels like to be Link.
They aren't going to die out. Sega didn't disappear with the Dreamcast, and Nintendo certainly wouldn't disappear if they suddenly got into a similar situation. That being said, the transition to software only has done Sega no favors, so I doubt that nintendo would ever truly leave the console business. They might go full mobile with consoles and no longer produce home consoles, though.
He's not saying that about Nintendo. He's basically saying that he is sick of the SAME DAMN CYCLE THAT HAPPENS EVERY GENERATION. Because it is like clockwork; people try to downplay any successes Nintendo has and jump on any troubles they encounter, milking far past their expiration date, and then are SHOCKED when Nintendo is not only still around but are successful and have evolved. It is STUNNING at how people are surprised by this. You'd think by now they would just cut out the middle man and say "it's Nintendo, no matter what happens, they're the only constant in the industry." But apparently being that intelligent is far too much for people to attain thus the tiresome cycle

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
You know, the comments sections for those Nintendo news section pieces always look the same. Oh man, sure is popular to hate the everliving crap out of Nintendo. Yet they did pretty well this year, and have great stuff in the pipeline for next year. Nintendo will be just fine.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I question where consoles could possibly go from here? How exactly is Nintendo going to improve on the Wii-U? I suppose there's slightly more room to grow than with the Xbone with the PS4, but not much. Maybe they should devote 100% of their effort into supporting the Wii-U and trying to inject new life into the Mario franchise, because as much as I love it, the formula has gotten a bit stale. I mean I love the platforming, don't change that too much, but can we have Mario and Co. do something other than rescuing things? Mario 3D World was a step in the right direction with Bowser kidnapping something other than Peach for once, but he was still kidnapping something. I'm not even sure what he was hoping to gain by kidnapping those fairies. I've said before that an opprotunity was missed with the Mario Galaxy games to show Mario as a much more selfless hero than he otherwise is when only rescuing Princesses.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
RatGouf said:
I got myself all excited for a new Nintendo console.... Then instantly lost interest when the Wii U touch screen was mentioned....

If only Nintendo would learn from their mistake with Wii U & Microsoft's mistake with Window's 8. That being that most people DON'T want touch screens with their non portable devices.

The only reason I can imagine (right now) that Nintendo is making a new console is because Wii U is now 3rd in Global sales and they hope to release a new console before Wii U is 2nd in Japan sales.
Meh. They're probably doing no such thing. This is just a typical console life-cycle. To release a new system every 5 years or so requires starting design work on the new system almost as soon as you have to old one out the door. (if not before, even.)
Zachary Amaranth said:
RatGouf said:
The only reason I can imagine (right now) that Nintendo is making a new console is because Wii U is now 3rd in Global sales and they hope to release a new console before Wii U is 2nd in Japan sales.
As Crystal said, the more reasonable explanation is that they're working on a new console because that's what you do. I'd be surprised if Microsoft and Sony weren't working on new consoles, too. Like, literally the only people who should be shocked by this news are the ones who think consoles are dying.
My post wasn't intended as being shocked that Nintendo is working on a new console. Rather it was the lack of shock that Nintendo announced that they were working on a new console.

Both Sony & Microsoft were quiet about their 4th & 3rd consoles until prior to an E3 a year or so ago. So Nintendo announcing that it'll have a new console 3 years from now is kind of pointless if you've already assumed Wii U has a 5 year life cycle.

On the other hand my only assumption right now when It comes to PS5 & the 4th Xbox is that they might do 4K HD. So I wouldn't expect those consoles to be released until some time after 4K TVs became cheap.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Davroth said:
You know, the comments sections for those Nintendo news section pieces always look the same. Oh man, sure is popular to hate the everliving crap out of Nintendo. Yet they did pretty well this year, and have great stuff in the pipeline for next year. Nintendo will be just fine.
Hate? I see a bunch of people that are indifferent to Nintendo and a bunch of people that are excited for a hypothetical sequel to one of their favorite Nintendo games, but no hate. Heck, you could say there's more Sony/MS hate in the thread than there is Nintendo hate.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Pffft. This isn't peak sarcasm. I can go harder, and even achieve multiple sarcasm.
But you might not survive multiple sarcasm! Calm down! Think of the children!!!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RatGouf said:
My post wasn't intended as being shocked that Nintendo is working on a new console. Rather it was the lack of shock that Nintendo announced that they were working on a new console.
It doesn't even really do that. It talks about potential future hardware.

Davroth said:
Not sure if serious. I mean, the "hate" seems to be mostly fictional, the finance stuff is wrong (their one wuarter of gain doesn't even offset the previous quarter's loss, and relies partially on a weakening of the yen), and it mostly just seems like cheerleading. Perhaps you want Nintendo to "win," but it doesn't change reality.

canadamus_prime said:
I question where consoles could possibly go from here?
Personally, I can't wait for Nintendo to pioneer smellovision with their new "Wii-poo." It'll do poorly, but in 30 years they will revisit the tech and be called innovative geniuses.

st0pnsw0p said:
Hate? I see a bunch of people that are indifferent to Nintendo and a bunch of people that are excited for a hypothetical sequel to one of their favorite Nintendo games, but no hate. Heck, you could say there's more Sony/MS hate in the thread than there is Nintendo hate.
"Hate" these days seems to indicate anyone who expresses something that doesn't exactly match how I feel on the subject. As such, your slightly different response to mine might constitute "hate."

I don't know. It just comes off, so often as "how dare you address something I like with less than complete and glowing praise?" I'm probably even a hater for pointing out the facts of Nintendo's financial reports.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
st0pnsw0p said:
"Hate" these days seems to indicate anyone who expresses something that doesn't exactly match how I feel on the subject. As such, your slightly different response to mine might constitute "hate."

I don't know. It just comes off, so often as "how dare you address something I like with less than complete and glowing praise?" I'm probably even a hater for pointing out the facts of Nintendo's financial reports.
That does seem to be the consensus among morons these days. I once saw a guy a couple of weeks ago on Google+ outright state that anyone who criticized Assassin's Creed (at least I think it was Assassin's Creed) was a hater. I wanted to slam me face through my desk so hard it'd have left an imprint.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
They always say they're working on the next console, even immediately after releasing one.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nintendo is working on new consoles? Well no shit Sherlock.

The R&D dept doesn't take a 1-2 year holiday right after a new console releases; R&D is an ongoing process.
It's whether or not that R&D produces something the company feels safe approving past concept and prototype that matters.

ABC Article said:
AP: I know you're working on "Star Fox," but beyond that, will you continue to design games for the Wii U, or are you already thinking about new hardware?

Miyamoto: We're focused on providing a robust line-up of Wii U software for next year. It seems like we've managed to do that this year and people are very happy with what we've done on Wii U. For the time being, our focus is on the Wii U hardware, but Nintendo as a whole has groups working on ideas for new hardware systems. While we're busy working on software for the Wii U, we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be.
What a surprise! That pretty much describes what I just said.
Until we get something more concrete than the clickbait nothings presented here, don't bother get too excited.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, yeah. I imagine that both Sony and Microsoft are also looking at what they are going to do after this console cycle ends. You cant just sit on your hands. Making a standardised hardware platform that is meant to last for at least 5 years is long and hard work, but I cant imagine that any platform is even past the concept stage yet.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I love how Japanese execs or company directors have the art of empty speech down pat. Miyamoto's stuck to the obvious: the company cares about the Wii U and is planning ahead for its own "next-gen" console, insert fingerquotes here because Nintendo hasn't been concerned about generational parity in awhile.

That's it, though. He might as well have stated that the sky is still blue and oxygen is still breathable.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Great, Awesome,

where's my new Metriod? >.< you guys owe us a good one to make up for Other M, and not another FPS (Even though the Prime games are good, and are the only FPS I can stand playing) Something that plays like Other M, minus the retarded missile controls and retarded story.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Laggyteabag said:
Well, yeah. I imagine that both Sony and Microsoft are also looking at what they are going to do after this console cycle ends. You cant just sit on your hands. Making a standardised hardware platform that is meant to last for at least 5 years is long and hard work, but I cant imagine that any platform is even past the concept stage yet.
Well, with those companies you know they wont release some new piece of hardware for at least a few years. Nintendo tends to pump new hardware out in spades to the point that Gamestop is probably a cesspool of perfectly functional Nintendo handhelds and peripheral devices. It's this fact that makes the headline to the article such a "click bait" ordeal, as some would put it. Nintendo probably needs to slow down on handheld revisions and just test and release a handheld game console that works for their audience at large. If all they released was a XL sized 3ds the world probably would be a happier place.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
Remus said:
I couldn't "Meh" harder. Nintendo doing its own thing as per usual, and in the process will likely further limit their audience to the 5 and 50+yr old circuit
Their audience isn't limited. Your mind is. They make games for everybody.
Hmm, must have just been my limited mind when Nintendo completely abandoned core gamers with the release of the Wii and instead focused on the casual market almost exclusively. Or when they came running back with their tail between their legs with the Wii U because the casual market abandoned them for tablets and smartphones. I suppose it's also just in my head that they're still not garnering much third party support and their first party games are largely rehashes of the same old stuff.

I'm so glad you set me straight. Now that I know Nintendo's problems are in my head and aren't really problems I'll rush right out and buy a Wii U post haste.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Remus said:
I couldn't "Meh" harder. Nintendo doing its own thing as per usual, and in the process will likely further limit their audience to the 5 and 50+yr old circuit, alienating the vast expanse of gamers in between. Suspected system specs of the Wii-Me? (we all know that will be the name) - slightly below PS4 specs, because as we all know, better technology does not make better games. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to play Dragon Age: Inquisition, and might play Far Cry 4 soon after.
Hi ^^

33 white, male and straight, and Nintendo is the only one with games on their console That I conciser 'worth getting the console for'

I mean really... why should I waste money on a PS4 or XBone when their exclusives aren't the slightest bit note worthy and anything they have worth playing, the MAYBE, two or three titles out there I am interested in, I can get on Steam or some other such digital distributer.

Which is the problem with this generation, it's really got no reason to exist. Nothing the PS4 or XBone are doing is any better or more interesting then the last, it's just 'prettier'.

woo hoo...