Nintendo Confirms Work is Underway on New Consoles

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Remus said:
I couldn't "Meh" harder. Nintendo doing its own thing as per usual, and in the process will likely further limit their audience to the 5 and 50+yr old circuit
Their audience isn't limited. Your mind is. They make games for everybody.
Hmm, must have just been my limited mind when Nintendo completely abandoned core gamers with the release of the Wii and instead focused on the casual market almost exclusively. Or when they came running back with their tail between their legs with the Wii U because the casual market abandoned them for tablets and smartphones. I suppose it's also just in my head that they're still not garnering much third party support and their first party games are largely rehashes of the same old stuff.

I'm so glad you set me straight. Now that I know Nintendo's problems are in my head and aren't really problems I'll rush right out and buy a Wii U post haste.
Yeah...there were so few years between Pikmin, Mario Kart, Smash, and many others. Please tell me how many Cock of Duty and Assassin's Creed games we've had in the last 5 years alone.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Every console maker starts on the next console just after releasing a new one. Everyone knows that.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
Yeah...there were so few years between Pikmin, Mario Kart, Smash, and many others. Please tell me how many Cock of Duty and Assassin's Creed games we've had in the last 5 years alone.
By that logic, Activision doesn't rehash either because there hasn't been a new Spyro or Crash game in like 5 years. But of course, that doesn't change the fact that CoD is an annual franchise, just like Pikmin 3 coming out 9 years after 2 doesn't change the fact that there's been 8 Marios (9 if you count NSLU as a separate game) over the last 9 years.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
Remus said:
I couldn't "Meh" harder. Nintendo doing its own thing as per usual, and in the process will likely further limit their audience to the 5 and 50+yr old circuit, alienating the vast expanse of gamers in between. Suspected system specs of the Wii-Me? (we all know that will be the name) - slightly below PS4 specs, because as we all know, better technology does not make better games. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to play Dragon Age: Inquisition, and might play Far Cry 4 soon after.
Hi ^^

33 white, male and straight, and Nintendo is the only one with games on their console That I conciser 'worth getting the console for'

I mean really... why should I waste money on a PS4 or XBone when their exclusives aren't the slightest bit note worthy and anything they have worth playing, the MAYBE, two or three titles out there I am interested in, I can get on Steam or some other such digital distributer.

Which is the problem with this generation, it's really got no reason to exist. Nothing the PS4 or XBone are doing is any better or more interesting then the last, it's just 'prettier'.

woo hoo...
There are a lot of people who buy consoles to play games commonly found on PC and on steam simply because that is how they prefer to play them. Plus the consoles provide services and benefits that, while doable with a PC, require significantly less work to get running.

If anything, home consoles are not directly competing with the PC as much as they are directly competing with TV set top boxes that occupy that off-hours portion of our life. This is something a lot of pro-PC people (including myself up until recently) didn't think about when talking about consoles vs PCs.

Edit: as for nintendo being the only console worth purchasing thanks to unique games, I've yet to see this notion manifest in better sales...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Colt47 said:
Lunar Templar said:
Remus said:
I couldn't "Meh" harder. Nintendo doing its own thing as per usual, and in the process will likely further limit their audience to the 5 and 50+yr old circuit, alienating the vast expanse of gamers in between. Suspected system specs of the Wii-Me? (we all know that will be the name) - slightly below PS4 specs, because as we all know, better technology does not make better games. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to play Dragon Age: Inquisition, and might play Far Cry 4 soon after.
Hi ^^

33 white, male and straight, and Nintendo is the only one with games on their console That I conciser 'worth getting the console for'

I mean really... why should I waste money on a PS4 or XBone when their exclusives aren't the slightest bit note worthy and anything they have worth playing, the MAYBE, two or three titles out there I am interested in, I can get on Steam or some other such digital distributer.

Which is the problem with this generation, it's really got no reason to exist. Nothing the PS4 or XBone are doing is any better or more interesting then the last, it's just 'prettier'.

woo hoo...
There are a lot of people who buy consoles to play games commonly found on PC and on steam simply because that is how they prefer to play them. Plus the consoles provide services and benefits that, while doable with a PC, require significantly less work to get running.

If anything, home consoles are not directly competing with the PC as much as they are directly competing with TV set top boxes that occupy that off-hours portion of our life. This is something a lot of pro-PC people (including myself up until recently) didn't think about when talking about consoles vs PCs.

Edit: as for nintendo being the only console worth purchasing thanks to unique games, I've yet to see this notion manifest in better sales...
I'm just saying, Nintendo is the only one out there with exclusive titles I find desirable enough to warant buying the console, not that I'm going to get one.

I'm on PC not because I think it's better 'mechanically', but because it's more cost effective, all the games I'm generally interested in are 3rd party and those are cross platform now, and that's where all my friends are. ;) I mean I'm still rocking a controller for games like MGR and Dark Souls, cause your playing them wrong if your not. (yeah, I said it, what.) So I'm not coming from a 'PC Fanboy' perspective, just, ya know, some one who's been in this since the Atari 2600 and after viewing the current land scape doesn't see the need for consoles with out any good exclusive titles to make them desirable.

I mean really, for me Blood Borne and Killer Instinct are it for both consoles as far as reason to buy one. and with both I have suitable alternatives, in the form of Dark Souls 1 and 2 and the greatness, the GLORIOUS SPECTACLE that are BlazBlue, Guilty Gear and Skull Girls for my fighter fix.

So yeah, I've pretty much hit the point where a console needs to prove it self worthy via it's line up. Not specs, not a myriad of features I'm never going to use, give me a reason to be excited your stupid looking box exist because of the games I can only get there, or don't waste my time.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
You know, I sometimes get tired of people saying Nintendo is gonna crumble.

They're still getting huge sales on their IP, heck, even their oldest games are still being played and talked about to this very day, especially if you take their Virtual Console thing into account.

I've met people who still talk about Mario, Link, and Kirby, do you think 30 years later people will still be talking about say... Sergeant Paul Jackson from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? The nameless protagonist from Sunset Overdrive? the Rabbids from Raving Rabbid? who who temporary took some of the spotlight away from Rayman?

I don't really think so, why? because Nintendo's characters have something that not many video game characters have; timelessness.

Nintendo has almost never had to worry about 'getting with the times' because most of their characters and settings never had to resort to pop cultural references or modern spins, Nintendo always simply did their own thing even before they took up video games, and they've been around since 1889! I don't know of many companies that lasted this long.

Even when Nintendo does occasionally 'get with the times', it's usually in response to certain advancements in technology, and even then, most of the time they're the ones that made the trends other game companies are following. Yeah, You Xbox fans remember Kinect? yeah, Microsoft made it in response to the Wii's motion controls.

Frankly, I always considered Nintendo to be a video game company equivalent of Disney, another that's been around for long time for reasons similar to that of Nintendo. And I've never heard anyone talk about Disney crumbling from what bad moves they made, so why should we say such things about Nintendo?

Heck, even if Nintendo does somehow collapse, their games have such a massive and loyal following that someone with the skill and dedication will likely take action to make more Mario or Zelda games to keep the legacy alive.

Far as I'm concerned, I'll sum up my idea of how long Nintendo will likely be around with this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0H6R7xRytk (please start at 0:06)

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Misterian said:
I've met people who still talk about Mario, Link, and Kirby, after being around do you think 30 years later people will still be talking about say... Sergeant Paul Jackson from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? The nameless protagonist from Sunset Overdrive? the Rabbids from Raving Rabbid? who who temporary took some of the spotlight away from Rayman?
Did you purposefully try to find the least-memorable characters for that comparison? Because it certainly looks that way.

Sargeant Paul will only ever appear in that one game, Sunset Overdrive was far from amazing and might not get a sequel and the rabbids games were all mediocre party games for Wii. How's about some actually iconic characters, like Cloud, Master Chief or Lara Croft? Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon and Banjo? Sonic, Gordon Freeman, Pac-Man, even Duke Nukem. Most aren't as old as Mario, but still quite old and still fairly well-remembered, even the ones that haven't seen a new release in years and years.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Glaice said:
By the time it's out, the hardware used will be subpar or obsolete.
All hardware is obsolete the second it's released. And that's not the point of consoles; they're not supposed to be bleeding edge, they're supposed to be EFFICIENT.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Remus said:
Whatislove said:
Remus said:
I couldn't "Meh" harder. Nintendo doing its own thing as per usual, and in the process will likely further limit their audience to the 5 and 50+yr old circuit, alienating the vast expanse of gamers in between. Suspected system specs of the Wii-Me? (we all know that will be the name) - slightly below PS3 specs, because as we all know, better technology does not make better games. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to play Dragon Age: Inquisition, and might play Far Cry 4 soon after.
Just so your rants can be more accurate in the future.

I think you mean the next console will have "slightly below PS4* specs", since, the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3.

Also, by the current count of games on each console, I'd say that better technology doesn't even equal better performance, since the Wii U has more games running at 1080p/60fps than both the Xbone and PS4 combined :D

You could just save up and get yourself more than 1 console, it is possible to own both a Wii U and a PS4/Xbone (or all 3, plus a pc, ps3, x360, 3ds, and vita like I do!).
I could run a game at 1080p/60FPS too if I limited my poly count to 1/10th of the competition.
Fanboys are funny when they're angry, ya know that? And yes I'm calling you a fanboy if you're calling my post a rant. TBH I liked Nintendo at one point - many years ago, their "innovations" were cool and were imitated by the other companies. All the cool games were being released on their systems. What happened? They went more Disney than Disney. They self-censored to the point of irrelevance. Rather than letting other publishers come in and release games on their system, they locked them out completely, thus limiting the audience to 5 yr olds who have never been allowed near a controller at this point, or 50 yr olds who are nostalgic for the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo pack. The demographic isn't shrinking. They've just moved on. So then Nintendo abandoned Moore's Law completely, refusing to reasonably upspec whenever a new console is released, further limiting the games hat can be created for that system. You may enjoy Mario, but when I look for games, I look for an experience I've not yet had, an enthralling story, visually stunning area in which to kill things, compete, explore, build on, or whatever. I've saved the princess multiple times across multiple platforms. This time, she can save her own damn self, or perhaps hire Liam Neeson.
1. You're post wasn't a "rant" but it was "jerkish" in nature
2. I'm 32 and still like classic games, retro style games, and AAA. I had as much fun with Rouge Legacy and Shovel Knight as much/or more than Ass Creed Unity or Last of Us.
3. What's wrong with wanting wholesome, family friendly content? A game doesn't have to have blood, murdering hookers, or evil protagonists that I'd rather kill than play as (GTA V) to be fun or compelling.
Yeah, some of the censorship is silly (mainly in the 80s), and they should be more open to 3rd Parties, but that's the same criticism they've had for 20 years.
4. The Wii and Wii U are only a few of the underpowered systems Nintendo has made, and probably did it for the lower middle class to afford. The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 (which sold more). The N64 had better specs than the PS1 (which sold more) and the SNES was basically on par (or less so) than the Sega Genesis, and the SNES sold better. So it isn't all about specs and 1080p. The Wii KILLED the Xbox 360 and PS3, which people seem to forget that Nintendo won the 7th Generation and has tons of bank to try new things and make mistakes. They are more financially stable than Sony is even with the Wii U issues.
The DS and 3DS have graphics like an N64 and sell better than the Vita, which is the same price with PS2 or higher level with all the share play with PS3 and 4
5. IF you want a compelling story, Far Cry 4 is going to disappoint you

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
RatGouf said:
The only reason I can imagine (right now) that Nintendo is making a new console is because Wii U is now 3rd in Global sales and they hope to release a new console before Wii U is 2nd in Japan sales.
As Crystal said, the more reasonable explanation is that they're working on a new console because that's what you do. I'd be surprised if Microsoft and Sony weren't working on new consoles, too. Like, literally the only people who should be shocked by this news are the ones who think consoles are dying.

Kenbo Slice said:
Their audience isn't limited. Your mind is. They make games for everybody.
They really don't. They exclude the "limited minds" out there. And that seems to be a big part of the gaming market. Blaming the fans for Nintendo's failures to appeal to the broader market is absurd.

Whatislove said:
Nintendo aren't exactly in trouble, they're already projected to make more than a billion dollars just from Amiibo
One estimate said they would do so, and it was immediately called out. IGN is now reporting it's more than likely a million Yen (a bit over 8 million dollars) is what was meant. And you consider that their operating losses last year were well over that, I wouldn't just assume that they're not in trouble because they're looking to rake in a bit over 8 million US.

RejjeN said:
Clearly defined facts doesn't bait as many clicks though!
"Clickbait" would be more "Miyamoto speaks about consoles. You'll never guess what happens next!"

Calling it clickbait is in itself misleading.
Going in order of your responds

-We agree! Company's continue to innovate! The fact that people had to think about this is really scary!

-The Wii appealed to the broadest audience possible and sold 20 million more consoles than Sony or Nintendo. What they did is alienate the "hard core gamer", which wasn't the best move, but as far as your "failures to appeal to the broader market" is false

Historically, they took lots of chances with mature content and new design elements to include a larger audiance. Mortal Kombat (even with the censorship) Conker's Bad Fur Day, Golden Eye (real world looking first person shooters on consoles weren't a thing)

-While you maybe correct on the amibo numbers, Nintendo isn't "in trouble", they are having a "rough patch". Sony is "in trouble" (and not from the hack on their studio business). The PS4 is helping them, but they've made many more bad decisions and had more problems in other markets, and lost a lot on the PS3

Nintendo also banked a lot of money from great sales and lowering production costs all along, and they could survive these loses for another decade (not sure of my number there, I read that article earlier in the year.

-Back to our first bullet point, this story was...honestly useless and poorly titled. I don't know if I'll go on "click bait" but its was obviously a slow news day.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Colt47 said:
They aren't going to die out. Sega didn't disappear with the Dreamcast, and Nintendo certainly wouldn't disappear if they suddenly got into a similar situation. That being said, the transition to software only has done Sega no favors, so I doubt that nintendo would ever truly leave the console business. They might go full mobile with consoles and no longer produce home consoles, though.
Not trying to knock them (hell, I admit to being a blatant fanboy of Nintendo), but didn't they say that they're just going to get out of gaming in general if they have to stop console production?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
DarklordKyo said:
Not trying to knock them (hell, I admit to being a blatant fanboy of Nintendo), but didn't they say that they're just going to get out of gaming in general if they have to stop console production?
If they did I wouldn't be surprised. The real question after that is who thinks that they got thrown under the bus.

On the other hand wasn't Nintendo a 3rd Party Publisher before?

Or was that just some weird deal they had with Atari when it came to Donkey Kong & a Super Mario Brothers game that purely took place in a sewer.

In any case Nintendo was a business before it got into gaming & it'll be a business if it ever gets out of gaming.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
I hope by "work underway" they mean "we're starting with the naming process first."

Here's some awful options to get started:
Wii U2
New Wii U
Wii V
Nintendou
Buddy Game Friend
UDS
Wii 3U2
Project Liftoff (prototype name, not for market)

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I was under the assumption that they never stopped working on new consoles. At least not entirely. Designing a product on a hardware and software level, creating and testing it, and putting it to market is a process that takes years. I'd assume at least part of the company is on it from the day the previous console launches.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
RatGouf said:
If they did I wouldn't be surprised. The real question after that is who thinks that they got thrown under the bus.

On the other hand wasn't Nintendo a 3rd Party Publisher before?

Or was that just some weird deal they had with Atari when it came to Donkey Kong & a Super Mario Brothers game that purely took place in a sewer.

In any case Nintendo was a business before it got into gaming & it'll be a business if it ever gets out of gaming.
True, though I never said they'll close down period (I am aware of some of the various ventures beforehand, like the Hanafuda cards, taxi service, and love hotel chain).

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
All I can say is BWC,BWC BWC and it has motion controls for the love of god make it a bit more precise than a air mouse or the newer TV remotes.NO IR CRAP!!!!

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
So, since Nintendo has been revising past technology with their latest consoles, this next one will bring back R.O.B. the Robot.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
bug_of_war said:
"We want to do what we wanna do, not follow the crowd".

Well you're right Miyamoto, you're not following the crowd, you're leading it. Well, at this point you've shown them the way, and then got stepped on as they've done what you do better.

Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Fifa and NBA can all technically be criticized of remaking the same game every year, but the dollars show that they're doing it a hell of a lot better than you guys are.
The dollars can show a lot of things, but it won't always show you who's best. You've mentioned four games, of which one is generally a buggy piece of shit if not trash, one caters to people who treat themselves and others like trash, in addition to being trash itself, and two are about bloody sports; If I want to watch a bunch of people compete to see who can do the best improv injury, I can just turn on the telly and watch any sports game for about five seconds, complain about how sports is now 100% about the money and 0% about the game, and then go turn on my DS and play Mario, a game that, while yes it is the same iterations over and over again, consistently works, consistently looks good, and most importantly, is consistently fun. Yes CoD and AC and all those others at least go to the trouble of trying to innovate every year - it doesn't work. I would rather have five games with the original AC's mechanics than the shite we ended up with. That's what Mario and Legend of Zelda and Metroid and Pokemon all have over most other games - they consistently succeed at accomplishing what should be the core goal of any game produced: They're actually fun to play, and I actually want to play them again instead of wiping my memory of the past five hours.