Nintendo Crushes Fans' Hopes for Notable Wii Localizations

Jan 27, 2011
.....THIS IS AGGRAVATING!!!

I have bought almost all of the good Wii games. Tales of Symphonia 2, No more heroes (both of 'em), Dead Space Extraction, Muramasa (Seriously, it was awesome, GO PLAY IT NAO), Okami, Crystal Chronicles the Crystal bearers, and I almost bought Arc Rise Fantasia...until a friend showed me just how ATROCIOUS that game is (the combat was broken, the voices were beyond terrible, etc).

Oh, please nintendo, don't base this decision on how Arc Rise Fantasia did...That game was crap and deserved to fail. At least give us the good stuff. You're giving it to europe, why not just port that version over here, and then just block access to the non-english/french languages or something!

....*sigh* Please excuse me while I go sit and be frustrated.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
/sigh, it's Mother 3 all over again. Nintendo of America refusing to localize a potentially niche title to a dying/dead platform while people erupt in angry replies thinking this business decision was a personal attack.

It's disappointing that we won't see these, but there's plenty of other good games from this generation, and I've got the 3DS, Wii U, and (possibly) PS-Vita libraries to look forward to.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
This is exactly why region locking needs to stop. Make one copy of the game, english AND japanese translations, print a bunch of copies for one market and anything that doesn't sell could just be easily shipped to another market.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Azex said:
They are keeping these titles so they can sell them to you on the WiiU. They need a good lineup and they know fans want this so its easy for them to screw over people.
That sounds like it would make sense. It should be enough time for voiceovers and changing the language around too...

They could just say that though...

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
I freaking called this! (Not like this was a big surprise to anyone) I was ranting on a forum last week about this kind of situation and how support for the Wii is declining.

[rant]
However, we shouldn't worry about this. Nintendo has a new "HD" console coming out soon so they can sell us great "HD" games like shooters in all of their realistic grittiness, just like the kind that sells on the PS3 and XB360 because nothing sells like an FPS, no siree!
[/rant]

EDIT: I guess this is at least a win for Europe. There have been several times in which a game would be localized for America but not sold in Europe or another non-US/Japan region. So, congratulations Europe.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
It's like Nintendo want us to regret purchasing the Wii. One day they will be back on the bottom and this shit will be part of the reason why. I hope the WiiU fails just like the 3DS will. I used to love Nintendo but there is only so much any fan can take.
Doubt 3DS is going to fail.
I don't know, the 3D gimmick isn't exactly making people run out and buy them and that is it's major feature. What good is a feature that some people can't even see and that gives alot of people a headache making for short gaming sessions in 3D.
People aren't running out and buying them because it was released in the middle of the year (no holiday sales), had a highish price, and, in Japan's case, was released in the midst of a natural disaster. You should probably just be on the "wait and see" boat versus being on the "oh it's obviously going to fail no matter what" boat. If it doesn't start selling by the holidays then you should switch boats.
That boat is too crowded. I think the 3DS will fail, if I am wrong then I am wrong. There are also other issues like Nintendo being able to brick your 3DS remotely or something. Is that true? If it is then you know that is holding some people back too.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
What the heck? Why is Justin Bieber all over my screen?

Also, can someone tell me why my eyes have suddenly started bleeding?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the most likely explanation is properly that they have number that say those things will tank if released now BUT will make great launch titles for the wiiu

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
This is my opinion, but I think Nintendo is still (in their minds) riding high on that near monopoly they had on the western game market. We were effectively their (pardon my language) *****. That's not true anymore and Nintendo is just going to have to give in.

I don't know about now, but I would have jumped those titles years ago when I still had my Wii (before it got stolen, and I still had faith in JRPGs). Now though, I'm more than happy to give my money to Sony or Microsoft. You know why? They release games I want to play. You do yourself no favors by withholding what fans want because of some assumed notion you know what the western market wants, Nintendo. Your damned barren desert of games is why I'm in no rush to replace my Wii or look into your next piece of hardware.

Assuming you know better than the customer never ends well, even if you're right.

Bye, Nintendo

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Xenophobia? More like Nintendo of America being lazy. It's stupid, since Nintendo of Europe is doing all the heavy lifting (i.e. translating from Japanese into five different languages). It's easy money for Nintendo of America.

But why do I care? I'm British. We're getting both.
BIG DEAL ENGLANDBRO, AT LEAST WE GOT ALL THE SMT GAMES HERE, SO JOKE'S ON YOU.

Anyways, so I don't get banned because of all the memes, I'm gonna just assume they're saving it for the WiiU, because they're gonna have to dip into the "Money We Made Off Of Stupid Moms Trying To Get Into Shape" jar because of how allergic the Japanese are to money (if this is Nintendo Japan's fault), and/or because they thought the WiiU was a good idea.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
It's like Nintendo want us to regret purchasing the Wii. One day they will be back on the bottom and this shit will be part of the reason why. I hope the WiiU fails just like the 3DS will. I used to love Nintendo but there is only so much any fan can take.
I don't know, the 3D gimmick isn't exactly making people run out and buy them and that is it's major feature. What good is a feature that some people can't even see and that gives alot of people a headache making for short gaming sessions in 3D.
People aren't running out and buying them because it was released in the middle of the year (no holiday sales), had a highish price, and, in Japan's case, was released in the midst of a natural disaster. You should probably just be on the "wait and see" boat versus being on the "oh it's obviously going to fail no matter what" boat. If it doesn't start selling by the holidays then you should switch boats.
That boat is too crowded. I think the 3DS will fail, if I am wrong then I am wrong. There are also other issues like Nintendo being able to brick your 3DS remotely or something. Is that true? If it is then you know that is holding some people back too.
But that stance is so negative and pessimistic. Being neutral seems to be the way to go.

The people who are upset about Nintendo's ability to brick your system remotely are pirates, a.k.a. undesirables. Companies usually don't give a shit about their feelings as the pirates don't give a shit about the company's.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Argh! How hard is it for Nintendo to make NA playable discs and just sell the damn things online?!

The way things are now I'm going to have to mod my Wii and get Xenoblade from Amazon EU.

GrungyMunchy

Nov 21, 2009
Yeah, they really must hate money. They're not even a company or anything.

If they're not releasing the game in America they must have a REALLY good reason for it, i.e. market studies showing the games won't sell shit. Especially given that they already have the English version made.

So yeah, the only reason you won't see the games released in the US is because you won't buy them.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
Balobo said:
Crono1973 said:
But that stance is so negative and pessimistic. Being neutral seems to be the way to go.

The people who are upset about Nintendo's ability to brick your system remotely are pirates, a.k.a. undesirables. Companies usually don't give a shit about their feelings as the pirates don't give a shit about the company's.
I am not a pirate but I am upset about Nintendo having that ability, it is another factor to keep me away from it. After all, when Sony removed OtherOS, did it only upset the pirates? I have a HP monitor, sure wouldn't like it if HP could kill it remotely even if the likelihood of that happening is low. Wouldn't want Ford to be able to remotely kill my car either, does that make me a car thief?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
SvenBTB said:
That's too bad =/ A new game in the Xeno series and an original IP by Skaguchi would have been awesome to have. Oh well though, I guess. Now those of us stateside can feel the pain that you European and Aussie gamers normally have to deal with, and it makes us more sympathetic.

And about the 3DS, since a few people have mentioned it and its gimmick of 3D... you all remember that it's still a stronger system capable of doing more than the normal DS anyways, even IF developers stop using it's 3D effects, right? It's still new, wait until after a year or two at least before swearing it off as a failure. The Wii taught me that much, if nothing else.
The Wii was a success from the get go. Remember that the stores were always sold out for the first couple of years of the Wii's life. So I guess I am wondering why you ever thought the Wii was a failure?

The 3DS, on the other hand is not flying off the shelves and Nintendo has admitted it isn't selling as well as they would like. Also, Nintendo USES it's gimmicks. Even though alot of people hated motion controls it didn't stop Nintendo from forcing them into most of their high profile games. The DS as well, the love throwing in stylus control and yelling into the mic, no matter how much gamers disliked it. No, they will not abandon the 3D part of the 3DS. Third party devs might but Nintendo won't.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
SvenBTB said:
Crono1973 said:
SvenBTB said:
That's too bad =/ A new game in the Xeno series and an original IP by Skaguchi would have been awesome to have. Oh well though, I guess. Now those of us stateside can feel the pain that you European and Aussie gamers normally have to deal with, and it makes us more sympathetic.

And about the 3DS, since a few people have mentioned it and its gimmick of 3D... you all remember that it's still a stronger system capable of doing more than the normal DS anyways, even IF developers stop using it's 3D effects, right? It's still new, wait until after a year or two at least before swearing it off as a failure. The Wii taught me that much, if nothing else.
The Wii was a success from the get go. Remember that the stores were always sold out for the first couple of years of the Wii's life. So I guess I am wondering why you ever thought the Wii was a failure?

The 3DS, on the other hand is not flying off the shelves and Nintendo has admitted it isn't selling as well as they would like. Also, Nintendo USES it's gimmicks. Even though alot of people hated motion controls it didn't stop Nintendo from forcing them into most of their high profile games. The DS as well, the love throwing in stylus control and yelling into the mic, no matter how much gamers disliked it. No, they will not abandon the 3D part of the 3DS. Third party devs might but Nintendo won't.
well I moreso meant pre-release of the Wii and everything that was shown talked about regarding it made it LOOK like it would be a failure. Wii Sports didn't convince me, personally, I was very slow to warm up to the Wii.

And yes, this is true. I know Nintendo likes to use it's gimmicks. But at least for the 3Ds you CAN turn it all the way off if you want. And if you;re playing with it all the way off (or developers do little, if anything, to utilize it), it IS still more powerful than the original DS, was all I was saying. I don't know if I even want one yet, personally, it depends on what games are released for it as time goes on. And I don't think the original DS was that bad gimmick wise. Sure, it definitely started out that way. But now (and even fairly recently) many DS games utilize the touch screen sparingly or make it fully integrated into the gameplay in a natural way. Granted, this isn't done ALL the time, and yes there ARE still plenty of annoying gimmicky-feeling games for it. But it's gotten better. Even the Wii has gotten better, with games like DKC Returns and NSMB Wii having very little motion-control in it. But then there ARE games like Skyward Sword, which is pretty much guranteed to have waggling a plenty, but you see what I mean.
Yeah, but Nintendo put out 2 Zelda games on the DS that required stylus control and the use of the mic. Worst 2 Zelda games in my opinion and it's because of the gimmicks. I am fine with Zelda using motion control because it is consistent and in SS it will be 1:1, hopefully. I am not fine with NSMBW using it because you could tell it was just thrown in there and didn't belong. The spin jump and picking up things should have been done with a button. Further, because of their motion control gimmick, they designed the Wiimote to be an NES controller and made things worse by actually making us use it as an NES controller. Sure, they have the Classic Controller but since it's an accessory, they never used it when they should have. You get a better controller playing Super Metroid on the Virtual Console than you do playing Metroid: Other M.

Ah...I am ranting now. Sorry.