Nintendo Details The First Breath of The Wild DLC Pack

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Details The First Breath of The Wild DLC Pack

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1402/1402914.jpgThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - The Master Trials will set you back $20 as part of the game's Season Pass.

Today, Nintendo has detailed the contents of the first DLC pack for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Called The Master Trials, the pack contains an assortment of new game modes, and new items, including a "hard mode" that is sure to give fanatics a run for their money. It's available exclusively as part of the game's $20 Season Pass [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169539-Nintendo-Announces-DLC-Pass-for-Breath-of-the-Wild], which comes with one additional DLC pack.

Here's a full rundown of what you can expect when the pack launches later this year:

Trial of the Sword: By accessing this location, you can challenge the new Trial of the Sword (previously known as "Cave of Trials") where enemies appear one after another. Link starts without any armour or weapons, and if he can defeat all of the enemies in the room, he can proceed to the next area. Trial of the Sword will include around 45 rooms in total for players to complete. When Link clears all of the trials, the power of the Master Sword will be awakened, and it will always be in its glowing powered-up state while usable.

Hard Mode: Fans looking for a new challenge are in for a treat with the new Hard Mode. In Hard Mode, the "ranks" of enemies in the game are increased (i.e. Red Bokoblins change to Blue), and you may even encounter higher-ranking enemies you won't find through normal play. Enemies will also slowly recover health in battle, forcing you to defeat them more quickly, and will more easily spot Link as he approaches them, making them tougher to sneak up on. In addition, floating planks held aloft by balloons will be scattered around Hyrule. By successfully reaching these planks, players can battle enemies and collect treasure.

Hero's Path Mode: Exploring Hyrule is exciting, but with such a large world it's sometimes hard for players to remember where they've been. To help with tracking progress, the new Hero's Path Mode will document every step players take and mark their path in green on the map. The route taken will be tracked for the player's last 200 hours of play time, with an included slider to track footsteps on a timeline. This even works retroactively, so players that have already put many hours into the game will be able to see where they have travelled. This feature will help identify locations in this vast world that haven't been visited yet, and may help players find those Shrines they haven't encountered yet.

Korok Mask: By finding the new Korok Mask, players will have a much easier time finding Korok locations in the game. When equipped, the mask will shake, indicating that a Korok is hidden somewhere nearby.

Travel Medallion: There will be a new treasure chest somewhere in the game world, which contains the Travel Medallion. With the Travel Medallion, players can create a temporary new travel point on the map where they are currently standing. Link can then transport himself to that point at any time. Only one Travel Medallion travel point can be registered on the map at a time.

New Equipment: Eight new pieces of equipment inspired by previous characters and games in the series will be added to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild after downloading the first DLC pack. Once discovered by the player, they will yield equipment themed after fan-favourite games and characters such as Midna, Tingle, Phantom and Majora's Mask.

[gallery=7329]

Additionally, a free software update for the game has just been rolled out, allowing players to change the game's audio language while keeping English as the on-text language. This means, for example, you could change the audio language to Japanese with English subtitles.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Any options to make items indestructible?
Or does Nintendo only want your money if they can make the game harder to play?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Pretty sweet stuff, though I am not pleased by the new dungeon. Is the Trial Of The Sword really what we're getting with a new dungeon, or are we getting something big like something akin to the four dungeons in the game? If it's just the trials, then I'm disappointed

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Hey wait a minute, didn't we as a community decide that blocking off a difficulty level behind a paywall (this being before Season Passes arose from the 9th circle of Hell) was an offense worth of setting fire to THQ when they decided to do it to one of the Metro 2033 games?

The costumes look kinda neat and I'd like to buy those individually. Honestly, the Korok mask seems like the most useful thing to me personally but Hard Mode being locked behind a season pass seems weird and wrong to me unless Hard Mode changes every Bokoblin into a Lionel and Lizalfos into White Lionels and their not-white Lionel best friend.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Elvis Starburst said:
Pretty sweet stuff, though I am not pleased by the new dungeon. Is the Trial Of The Sword really what we're getting with a new dungeon, or are we getting something big like something akin to the four dungeons in the game? If it's just the trials, then I'm disappointed
We don't know anything about the new dungeon, that is part of the second DLC pack that comes out in the holiday season. The Trial of the Sword is much closer in spirit to the Cave of Ordeals in Twilight Princess and releases with the first DLC pack this summer.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Twenty bucks for Hard Mode? Fuck off.
Twenty bucks gets you more than just hard mode. There's the rest of the stuff in this pack as well as the holiday pack out latter this year.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Jacked Assassin said:
come on, is that still a thing, let's complain about weapon durability in BotW ? i mean, by mid-game, you find so much high level gear, that break less often, that i wish it break more often, because i have to drop weapon each time i open a chest...

hero path seems great, the trial mode seems also great. and keep in mind that you dont pay 20 buck (well, 28 for us poor canucks) for that, and the next dlc...

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
The bit that gets me is the master sword upgrade. They made getting the master sword relatively easy this go around but it's the ultimate weapon against evil!... Except that it can be upgraded for a fee and completing a challenge. Should've made the challenge part of the game.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
cathou said:
Jacked Assassin said:
come on, is that still a thing, let's complain about weapon durability in BotW ? i mean, by mid-game, you find so much high level gear, that break less often, that i wish it break more often, because i have to drop weapon each time i open a chest...
Nah. I just think Jim Sterling deserves some vindication after being DDoS attacked by Nintendo Fanatics. If it weren't for that I'd be more comfortable buying a Nintendo Switch for Skyrim.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
So 3 things that'd barely be worthy anything (armor, medallion, and mask), two things that would be simple options tweaks or added in patches in other games (the two modes), and a basic wave clear trial kind of mode.

I guess this is why Nintendo doesn't do DLC for Zelda normally. I was expecting a dungeon. Also, if we're going to add really basic modes, why not add an infinite durability mode?

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
So 3 things that'd barely be worthy anything (armor, medallion, and mask), two things that would be simple options tweaks or added in patches in other games (the two modes), and a basic wave clear trial kind of mode.

I guess this is why Nintendo doesn't do DLC for Zelda normally. I was expecting a dungeon. Also, if we're going to add really basic modes, why not add an infinite durability mode?
We are getting a dungeon though. It's going to be in the second DLC expansion pack that comes out this holiday.

Did nobody read the DLC overview when they first announced it way back in January?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Pickapok said:
RedDeadFred said:

We are getting a dungeon though. It's going to be in the second DLC expansion pack that comes out this holiday.

Did nobody read the DLC overview when they first announced it way back in January?
I missed that it was $20 for both DLCs. I guess Season Pass and Nintendo isn't something I'm used to. Not that it isn't welcome in this case since this stuff is more of a taster for what I hope will be the bulk of the content in the dungeon.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Pickapok said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Twenty bucks for Hard Mode? Fuck off.
Twenty bucks gets you more than just hard mode. There's the rest of the stuff in this pack as well as the holiday pack out latter this year.
Right, you get a counter that tracks your footsteps, and an item that lets you find collectables more easily. Who wouldn't want to spend $20 on that?

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks partially that they are selling cheats? Like not outright helpful but that korok mask is paid dlc and only serves to make the game easier. I won't get much into selling a difficulty mode though I find that despicable no matter the price,but this is Nintendo. It's not exactly new for them. Wish the cave of trials was included though. That was pretty fun in Twilight Princess

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Hmmm, not really what I had in mind for hard mode. Guess I'll have to settle for self made challenges.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Shame the Trials aren't part of the base game. The other things seem like QOL, but an upgrade to the franchise's iconic weapon seems like a pretty baseline thing.

Biggest hype? Audio configuration. I only got the game a day ago and was absolutely bummed that I couldn't change the audio. The English voice acting is pretty bad, imo. I was going to hold off on playing, try to crack the console and try to import the Japanese files manually, so it's very nice that they saved me the effort. Thanks guys.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
I'm a little disappointed by the "Hard Mode". I mean, as described, it definitely does count as a Hard Mode, I just expected something a bit more substantial. I suppose I was thinking more of a Survival Mode, given that most of the mechanics are already in place, in addition to making the enemies harder. All you'd need to do is make it so you actually have to eat and sleep, and maybe restrict fast travel a bit, like a cooldown. Of course you can choose to do all of that yourself without the game enforcing it, but if its not enforced its tempting to make "exceptions"...

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
what about an easy mode
where everythings the same but I don't have to use 8 weapons to kill 1 enemy because every weapon in hyrule seems to be made out of wet tissue paper

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Is it bad that the thing that really grabbed my attention was the hero's path thing? Just being able to see my path from this point in time, all the way to the current time, and have little memories of "Oh, that squiggle of foot prints was when that guardian scared the piss out of me by lasering me from off screen" and whatever else I might remember. Also, that bit at the bottom of the article about being able to switch the language to japanese is great, cause I always prefer the original dub to english ones.

Now if only I owned the game, I'd get to enjoy these things.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Shoggoth2588 said:
Hey wait a minute, didn't we as a community decide that blocking off a difficulty level behind a paywall (this being before Season Passes arose from the 9th circle of Hell) was an offense worth of setting fire to THQ when they decided to do it to one of the Metro 2033 games?
It's Nintendo, they could sell shit set on fire in a box and it would stil sell well.