Nintendo Direct 13th September 3pm PT: It's Happening Take Two Edition!

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i'm actually impressed. i didnt expect that much games. final fantasy 7,9,10,12 ? that super cool

cities skyline ? totally inexpected...

luigi mansion 3 was also out of the blue

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
WHERE. IS. BAYONETTA! 3?!

Ooohhh, Capcom Brawlers! And they're bringing over Battle Circuit to the States for the first time.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
cathou said:
i'm actually impressed. i didnt expect that much games. final fantasy 7,9,10,12 ? that super cool

cities skyline ? totally inexpected...

luigi mansion 3 was also out of the blue
Funnily, one of the guys at the Youtube GameXplain predicted that the Castlevania reveal for Smash Ultimate hinted at a new Luigi's Mansion

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ok, since no one asked for it, I will now give my short thoughts.

-Luigi's Mansion 3
Neat, the first game is apparently also coming to 3DS.
-Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn for 3DS
Already own the original. Pass. Not much else to say.
-Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey
Already own the original. Pass. Good game tho.
-CAPCOM Beat 'Em Up Bundle
Beat 'Em Ups ain't my thing.
-New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Neat, but I'd rather have gotten 3D World.
-Katamari Damacy Reroll
Neat. Good chance I'll give this a go.
-New fantasy RPG by Game Freak
Not much to go on here.
-Cities: Skylines
Neat. Not my bag, but I hear it's good.
-Yoshi's Crafted World
Looks nice. On the watchlist.
-Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Already have it on PC. While I like it, I don't like it enough to buy it again just to play it on the go.
-EIGHT FINAL FANTASY TITLES, including VII (but VIII nowhere in sight. HA!)
Neat. Also, if I'm not mistaken this will be the first main series FFs on a Nintendo system since VI.
-Isabelle for Smash
Smash ain't my thing. Should've been Tom Nook tho. Bet people would love to pound him into dust.
-And new Animal Crossing on Switch.
Ok, I guess. Played a little of the first, but didn't get into it.

Ah yes, that is an obnoxiously large amount of space taken to say so little. My work here is done.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Aiddon said:
So, to recap:

-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Katamari Damacy Reroll
-Yoshi's Crafted World
-Isabelle for Smash

Good times
Celebrating the exclusion of one of the better games in the series, good on you 🤷👍

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
bluegate said:
Aiddon said:
So, to recap:

-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Katamari Damacy Reroll
-Yoshi's Crafted World
-Isabelle for Smash

Good times
Celebrating the exclusion of one of the better games in the series, good on you 🤷👍
Is his joke not that there are 8 FF games being added, but FF8 is not on the list?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CoCage said:
In a place where it's more likely to be made than installments in certain other Nintendo IPs.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Elijin said:
bluegate said:
Aiddon said:
So, to recap:

-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Katamari Damacy Reroll
-Yoshi's Crafted World
-Isabelle for Smash

Good times
Is his joke not that there are 8 FF games being added, but FF8 is not on the list?
Man 8 was jank bro. Bad story and confusing AF gameplay. Will not be missed.

Are these FF games coming individually, or a big package?

Sep 24, 2008
So, I really just want to get into the minds of Nintendo.

Like, of all the gaming companies, they seem to be the Handsome Jack of all of them. The online features are a joke.

You need to log in once a week, or the nes games are not able to be played. "What's the problem with that," You ask incredulously. "They are apart of the services that they don't need to give you. They are managing their perk!"

The problem is, guy I'm imaging, is that I much rather give them 5 to 7 dollars so I can own SMB3. I much rather own my games than have them held hostage and only allowed to me when I've been a good boy.

The online save data is deleted the second your subscription runs out.

One more time for the people in the back row.

The Online Save Data is deleted the second your subscription runs out! [http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/your_nintendo_switch_cloud_save_files_will_be_lost_if_your_online_subscription_expires]

Something that even a website called "Nintendo Life" can't defend.

Sadly, this seems to present a pretty major problem. If you can't renew your subscription before it ends - be that because you accidentally miss the renewal date, or simply can't afford to renew it at the time - it would appear that you must sacrifice those saves. For comparison's sake, Sony's PlayStation 4 keeps your data for six months, giving you time to renew at your leisure, and the Xbox One offers free cloud saves for all users, regardless of a monthly subscription.

Nintendo's approach of simply wiping your saves seems like a very consumer-unfriendly move, and one that will no doubt cause more anger and frustration over a service which doesn't appear to be offering quite enough for its ?17.99 / $19.99 price tag - especially when the main selling point (playing games online) has already been free for 18 months.
But the more important bit comes from the FAQ of Nintendo's online itself

Q. After my Nintendo Switch Online subscription expires, will my Save Data Cloud files and Nintendo Entertainment System ? Nintendo Switch Online save data be erased?

A. Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership. Nintendo Entertainment System ? Nintendo Switch Online also uses the Save Data Cloud, so the same applies. However, if you keep the Nintendo Entertainment System ? Nintendo Switch Online save data saved locally on your Nintendo Switch console, then you can use it again if you purchase another membership.
This statement suggests that, should your subscription expire, your cloud saves will be deleted with no way of getting them back. Nintendo's suggestion here is to save your data locally, as this can then be transferred back to the cloud when you renew, but this naturally defeats the whole purpose of the feature and only seems to apply to the NES game portion of the service
So... with admitting that, they basically admitted that you can save Game Data on your Switch (Duh) but they just don't want to allow that because... how else would they be able to nickel and dime you?

I compared Nintendo to Handsome Jack because I know a lot of people who love him, even though he's an insufferable prig (I hate him). Nintendo are doing some really priggish things right now. I love the Switch. I just came back from Florida to spend time with my family, and it saved me on the transport to just night time there. I'm getting more games. Again, I love the system.

But Nintendo are deliberately making it less and less of what it could be for profit. There's no defending that.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Dear Nintendo,

You don't want me using emulators and I don't want to be using emulators. So how about you start making a bunch more GBA games playable on my 3ds and put Gamecube games on the Switch. Because if the only way I can play them is via emulators that's what I'm going to do.

Sincerely

A fan who'd like to play older games.

Jan 27, 2011
It's a shame most of the big reveals got spoiled over the course of the delay. but there's still some great stuff here.

honstly the only thing that actually disappointed me was no final Fantasy Tactics in that big FF bundle of games they're porting.

Also, that Isabelle Smash trailer and announcement for the next animal crossing were flawless and I loved them. And I don't care about Villager/Isabelle, nor do I like Animal Crossing AT ALL (just not my cup of tea)

spartandude said:
Dear Nintendo,

You don't want me using emulators and I don't want to be using emulators. So how about you start making a bunch more GBA games playable on my 3ds and put Gamecube games on the Switch. Because if the only way I can play them is via emulators that's what I'm going to do.

Sincerely

A fan who'd like to play older games.
Pretty much this. If they want to stop emulation, make the games easily and readily available legally. :(

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Final Fantasy IX on my Switch... yes please.

Samtemdo8 said:
No Metroid Prime 4 news. Now I am in the worry phase.
They could be saving that and Bayonetta for the Game Awards maybe?

Not going to get my hopes up, but I could see it happening.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Elijin said:
bluegate said:
Aiddon said:
So, to recap:

-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Katamari Damacy Reroll
-Yoshi's Crafted World
-Isabelle for Smash

Good times
Well, I was actually joking about how VIII really is the one no one cares about (for good reason; the plot is incoherent, the characters unlikable, and the gameplay is boring micromanagement), though that is funny how there are eight titles, but not VIII itself. Funnily enough though, the reason VIII isn't being ported (and doesn't have as many ports as its predecessors and successors) is for one, very dumb reason: Eyes on Me. The sappy song that plays when Rinoa and Squall are in space. That one. Yeah. Square can't port the game because the singer still has the rights to Eyes on Me. Wow, over a song that is pretty bad

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Aiddon said:
Well, I was actually joking about how VIII really is the one no one cares about (for good reason; the plot is incoherent, the characters unlikable, and the gameplay is boring micromanagement), though that is funny how there are eight titles, but not VIII itself. Funnily enough though, the reason VIII isn't being ported (and doesn't have as many ports as its predecessors and successors) is for one, very dumb reason: Eyes on Me. The sappy song that plays when Rinoa and Squall are in space. That one. Yeah. Square can't port the game because the singer still has the rights to Eyes on Me. Wow, over a song that is pretty bad
If I am completely honest with you, I don't trust anyone who says FF8 is their favorite FF game. Unless it is their only FF game (which would be understand to turn people off the series completely), even then don't ever label it a favorite.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Aiddon said:
Couldn't they just use a different song?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
CoCage said:
In a place where it's more likely to be made than installments in certain other Nintendo IPs.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH! I'm on a brawler high right now! I need more satisfaction.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://www.shacknews.com/article/107249/nintendo-trademarks-rhythm-heaven-golden-sun-mario-super-sluggers-and-more

So, if anyone's interested, Nintendo trademarked a number of their IPs, including Wrecking Crew, Mario Super Sluggers, Rhythm Heaven, and Golden Sun. All of these are pre-existing games/IPs.

So, on one hand, it's arguably conspicuous that this was a month before the direct, but on the other, it doesn't necessarily mean anything - could just be renewals of the IP or however copyright works. Can't say I'm over the moon for any of this bar Golden Sun (and I'm not going to get excited just because of legalese), but, well, now you know. And that's half the battle.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
https://www.shacknews.com/article/107249/nintendo-trademarks-rhythm-heaven-golden-sun-mario-super-sluggers-and-more

So, if anyone's interested, Nintendo trademarked a number of their IPs, including Wrecking Crew, Mario Super Sluggers, Rhythm Heaven, and Golden Sun. All of these are pre-existing games/IPs.

So, on one hand, it's arguably conspicuous that this was a month before the direct, but on the other, it doesn't necessarily mean anything - could just be renewals of the IP or however copyright works. Can't say I'm over the moon for any of this bar Golden Sun (and I'm not going to get excited just because of legalese), but, well, now you know. And that's half the battle.
with just how much awesome 1st Party support Nintendo has given the Switch in only a year and a half already, there isn't much more they could announce that hasn't already been announced unless they revive a dead franchise like Waverace or F-Zero.

we've already had
3D Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Kirby, Mario Tennis, ARMS.
we're about to get Mario Party, Pokemon and Smash Bros
and next year we've got Yoshi, Metroid another Pokemon (a traditional one this time), Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing all coming.

and that's not even touching on the awesome amount of 3rd Party exclusive's and multiplatform games that the Switch has been getting.

The Nintendo Switch feels like it has an audience the size of what Wii crowds were like, but has the same level quality that the Gamecube had at the same time. the Switch is quite possibly going to go down as my favorite Nintendo console of all time. the start it's had on the market has been that good!