Nintendo DSi?

ghostgnome

Jun 26, 2008
The camera isn't as crappy as people believe. No it won't replace your normal camera, but it is fun to mess with the settings and play with images.

Overall I really like the system, it has a lot of potential and the rumors of the addition of Skype and Video chat will definitely give the system a powerful edge. Yes the lack of GBA slot sucks, but a SP or micro isn't so expensive anymore.

Personally I really enjoy the DSi, and with the promise of more games like Wario Ware Snapped I would suggest at least looking into it

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
AC10 said:
CountFenring said:
I heard the DSLite can go for longer, anyone know if this is true?
I had a fat and got a lite now, I like the lite a lot more. I think the battery DOES last longer, but it's not the space age leap they claim in the specs.
I was talking about Lite vs. DSi, but as a person who is looking to buy a DS soon and doesn't want a DSi, that's nice to know.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
I don't have it yet either. I'll just buy it to complete the collection lawl.

FlashCardsFTW

Cleverpun

Dec 11, 2008
My Phat still works fine. If it broke tomorrow I don't think I'd bother with the DSi.

The new ArtStyle games look good, and I hear that points will be/are transferable between your Wii and DSi accounts, so if you buy lots of downloadables for your Wii, this may be a nice extension of that.

Still a bit too early to tell whether it's worth replacing your current DS (whichever version it may be).

Izakflashman

Dec 18, 2008
dragonflygirl said:
its just a DS with a cam, and i little bit bigger screen on it, whoop di do
And even then the screen is only bigger by a few millimeters. You can't see the difference at all.

I will be interested to see how the browser goes. Apparently the first browser they released (It came with a ram plugin that went in the GBA slot) was a complete failure. It was just to damn slow. And flash apps didn't work. Soooo, we'll see how that aspect works out.
I think the cameras are a good idea, even though it will cut battery life in half. I bet they'l make a whole lotta games that rely on light sensitivity and stuff. I kinda like how they taking the hand held system just that little bit further. Be it for better or worse.

P.s. Anyone want to play me at tetris?

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
CountFenring said:
I heard the DSLite can go for longer, anyone know if this is true?
I smell a double entendre.

I for one was never into portogaming even though I'm missing out on some really cool games. From reading this thread it really fumes me that Nintendo aren't making the DS back compatible with GBA. I was already plenty pissed that I couldn't play my Pokémon silver on my DS. It's such a waste of consumer loyalty and game libraries. DS could have something like 2000+ games on it's system but instead you get like 200.

PrinnyGod

Sep 25, 2008
eeeeww.. DSi

to me it sounds like your options are
replace your operational DSlite
or save money to get something more worthwhile then what sounds like a down grade to me...

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
A selection of points I've got from reviews:

DSi has 16Mb of memory instead of the DS 4Mb (not an issue yet but some DSi only games will
be released at some point no doubt)
Dsi CPU runs a lot faster
DSi has no GBA slot (already mentioned)
DSi has two .3 megapixel cameras, apparently quite bad in low light conditions
You can't load your own photos into the photo editing tools
It doesn't support MP3, only AAC
The whole device is wider and thiner, so it's easier for adults to hold
Screen is *slightly* larger
The web browser is abysmal (apparently!)
DSi supports WPA but this is software based so your old roms won't suddenly support it (Nintendos REALLY screwed up on the design of wireless connectivity)
DSi battery life is shorter

I think that although kids will like the camera there's very little reason to upgrade from DS to DSi. There's not a great deal of software using the extra memory yet (six months maybe?). If purchasing new then DSi is a good choice though. Oh, and the demographic of DS players really won't miss the GBA slot I don't think.

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
Izakflashman said:
dragonflygirl said:
And even then the screen is only bigger by a few millimeters. You can't see the difference at all.

I will be interested to see how the browser goes. Apparently the first browser they released (It came with a ram plugin that went in the GBA slot) was a complete failure. It was just to damn slow. And flash apps didn't work. Soooo, we'll see how that aspect works out.
I think the cameras are a good idea, even though it will cut battery life in half. I bet they'l make a whole lotta games that rely on light sensitivity and stuff. I kinda like how they taking the hand held system just that little bit further. Be it for better or worse.

Well, my mom and friend have one and the battery was actually changed so that it has basically the same life as the DS Lite with the cameras on.

The WiFi actually works just about everywhere all the time. It's not like the crappy one made for the regular DS. She can actually check her email (it's a Japanese program, but I translated the buttons for her) in a Wifi area, like the bus stop.

It also has an SD card slot so my friend uses it for a variety of different things (showing pictures, watching various videos, listening to music - it supports MP4s/AAC, etc).

I'm torn - I've seen it work and it works fine, but I don't know if I want to retire my fatty DS yet. I'm not trading it in for anything - I'll just buy a new DSi (although I'll get it at a discount like my friend did through an online site). I don't give a fuck about the cameras - I want the wifi and SD card reader.

Izakflashman

Dec 18, 2008
McClaud said:
Izakflashman said:
dragonflygirl said:

Well, my mom and friend have one and the battery was actually changed so that it has basically the same life as the DS Lite with the cameras on.

The WiFi actually works just about everywhere all the time. It's not like the crappy one made for the regular DS. She can actually check her email (it's a Japanese program, but I translated the buttons for her) in a Wifi area, like the bus stop.

It also has an SD card slot so my friend uses it for a variety of different things (showing pictures, watching various videos, listening to music - it supports MP4s/AAC, etc).

I'm torn - I've seen it work and it works fine, but I don't know if I want to retire my fatty DS yet. I'm not trading it in for anything - I'll just buy a new DSi (although I'll get it at a discount like my friend did through an online site). I don't give a fuck about the cameras - I want the wifi and SD card reader.
Oh sweet. It was a while ago that I heard about the battery thing. A bunch of people were bitching about it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ha ha, I didn't know about the SD card reader either. I bet they did that just to piss off The guys making the R4 and M3s. Heh heh. "Why let the pirates take all our money? Lets just build the slot in, then everyone will stop buying them.