Nintendo: E3 Wrong Place to Show Vitality Sensor

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo: E3 Wrong Place to Show Vitality Sensor

According to Nintendo, E3 was the wrong time and the wrong place to reveal the Vitality Sensor.

If you watched Nintendo's E3 presentation and wondered where the Vitality Sensor was, don't worry, it hasn't gone away; Nintendo just didn't think that E3 was the right venue to showcase it.

"We're continuing to work on the Vitality Sensor. As we thought about what we wanted to bring to E3, we realized we had a really packed agenda," said Nintendo's senior vice president of sales and marketing Cammie Dunaway.

"We also thought about the atmosphere at E3 which is noisy and adrenaline-filled, and loud and stressful, and it just didn't seem like the best environment to introduce a product that's really about relaxing, so we decided we'd think about other venues that would be more appropriate."

It's true that Nintendo's conference was pretty jam-packed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101374-E3-2010-From-the-Nintendo-Press-Conference], and with the company showing off a ton of new games, including the new Zelda and the Goldeneye remake, not to mention the 3DS, bringing out a piece of hardware that is basically a heart monitor might have been a slightly awkward tonal shift.

Dunaway's comments do give a possible insight into what Nintendo has planned for the device however, and it doesn't appear that it's really aimed at core gamers. I'm guessing that what Nintendo has in the pipeline is something like Innergy, a game about relaxation that Ubisoft announced at its E3 press conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010/7709-UbiSoft-2010-Press-Conference-E3.2], but we'll have to wait to see if that is actually the case.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180006]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Phew! And here I was thinking the most anticipated peripheral for the Wii had gone up in smoke :)

The only good idea I can think of this is a horror game that monitors your vitality, and depending on how scared/relaxed you are adjusts the amount of scariness/shock factor.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Deofuta said:
Phew! And here I was thinking the most anticipated peripheral for the Wii had gone up in smoke :)

The only good idea I can think of this is a horror game that monitors your vitality, and depending on how scared/relaxed you are adjusts the amount of scariness/shock factor.
Wow... that is a really good idea. I would love to play a game like that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"it doesn't appear that it's really aimed at core gamers."

Hardly surprising.

Anyway, the vitality censor is so uninteresting I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show it off because no one would care.

HarmanSmith

Aug 12, 2009
Really Nintendo? A pulse oxometer? What, is Nintendo going to open a chain of hospitals? (Actually, a hospital that uses minigames to get diagnoses sounds pretty novel)

I wonder what the game would say if the player had a heart attack...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I kinda agree...E3 is a bad venue for it...but in a way I am glad they did show it, as it is an intrestign piece of kit. I can imagine alot of casual people, families, nd those who liked the wiifit thought would enjoy it

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
That implies theres a "right" place to show that thing.

Beyond doing for you what two fingers and a watch/count can do (pulse), I see no use for it.
Deofuta said:

I thought of that too, but for wizened gamers they'd hover at 50-70bpm the entire game. Meaning it'd start throwing shit at you left and right until you finally reacted or never did anything at all.
Think of it in terms as a biofeedback device. Control your heartrate, control the game.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Deofuta said:

Thats really cool.

i thought it would also be cool in Fire Emblem.

If you have played Path of Radiance then you know what the Biorhythm is.
The Vitality sensor could be cool for determining your Main characters Biorhythm and Stat Growth.
OT:I agree that E3 might not have been the right place to talk about it.
I still cant wait to see all it can do though.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Deofuta said:

other then that and using it for fitness games, i see it as a dead end gaming-wise. doubt anyone would miss it if it became vapourware.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Ah, Nintendo. you just made my weekly quota of "I could'v told you that" in one go. (congrats! Usually only poloticians can pull something like that off!)

at least they can still think clearly enough through the pot haze not to show a casual gamer accessory at a hardcore confrence.
that or noone's refiled thier Bong in a while.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
DJmagma said:
i don't believe there is a right place to show off the vitality sensor.
Maybe one of those healthcare conventions? Like one of those where they try to push the WiiFit as a more valid form of exercise.

It sounds juvenile, but part of me wants this thing out in hopes of hearing an emergency report when someone gets it stuck on their eleventh finger. If you catch my drift.

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
Roboto said:
Think of it in terms as a biofeedback device. Control your heartrate, control the game.
I was. Unless they want me to raise my heartrate, It'd be an easy win.

At least until I challenged a dead person.
or a zombie...

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
DJmagma said:
i don't believe there is a right place to show off the vitality sensor.
Maybe one of those healthcare conventions? Like one of those where they try to push the WiiFit as a more valid form of exercise.

It sounds juvenile, but part of me wants this thing out in hopes of hearing an emergency report when someone gets it stuck on their eleventh finger. If you catch my drift.
so...(searches net)... like

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Why is it Nintendo seems to be the only one to understand such a simple concept while both Sony and Microsoft failed horribly?

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Making its debut next E3, the Nintendo Wii Wiimut. It's a nintendo Wii that you wear on your head, to really immerse you in the game. And while you're wearing it, it's reading your brainwaves to tell if you're actually having fun or just faking it.