Nintendo Encourages Plugging Pokemon Into the Internet

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Encourages Plugging Pokemon Into the Internet

The Pokemon Global Link will bring new web-based features to Pokemon Black & White.

White [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Black-Version-Nintendo-DS/dp/B004EW2PC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296238597&sr=8-1] won't just be innovating with new 3D graphics and triple battles, it'll also innovate outside of the DS. Hooking the games up to the Pokemon Global Link on a PC through the internet will enable all sorts of Poke-features.

First, players will have to register a Pokemon Trainer Club account on the Pokemon website [http://www.pokemon.com/]. After that's all set up, once the Pokemon Global Link launches in spring they'll be able to connect to various Poke-portals.

One of these portals is the Pokemon Dream World. Pokemon Black & White will allow players to tuck their Pokemon into bed, and enter their dreams through the Dream World online. You'll be able to customize their Poke-homes, grow Poke-fruit, and play mini-games to make friends with other Pokemon. These Pokemon can then be transferred back into Black & White for training, along with any items that players earn. The only Pokemon I wouldn't do this with is Jigglypuff, because you know that little thing is tormented by horrifying, bloody nightmares.

The second portal is the Global Battle Union, which will let players keep track of their battles against players from all over the world. In fact, it'll give Black & White players a worldwide ranking based on battle score. The best of the best can qualify for invitations to regional and national Pokemon videogame tournaments, and eventually the Pokemon World Championships in San Diego, California.

Lastly, the Pokemon Global Trade Station will be a central hub for players to track their Poke-trades. However, Nintendo says the Global Trade Station may not launch until "later this year."

The Global Link replaces the outside functionality provided by the included pedometer in SoulSilver [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038MVFYC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1E08FN7HP3D7FGT0BDT1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846]. Considering that Nintendo could sell copies of Pokemon even if the box was only filled with spaghetti, it's nice to see side features like these.

miniwak93

Jul 9, 2009
seems like good things are in store for black and white. cant wait to get it and trade my best pokemon from soul silver

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
This is just another one of the reasons why I love the Pokemon games. Always something new in every installment. No idea why people complain about them.

Heres hoping that when Pokemon makes the jump to the 3DS that they include some sort of data to reality system that lets your Pokemon enter our world. So we can battle with them... yeah... no malicious intent here...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Truth be told im not hopeful on this.

As we are all painfully aware the DS is more hacked than all of the other platforms, on top of that the 4th gen games are rife with hackers on the trade system and im not sure what 5th gen is going to do to stop the hackers ruining everything.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Don't play enough Pokemon to know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, I got scammed with a pirated cart I bought online the one time I tried to get into it, and haven't gone back. Don't know if I'll try it again.

My sense of absurdity wants to see a massive battle with whomever holds the Digimon liscence, claiming that by putting Pokemon onto the internet/computer they are infringing on their trademarks. It would be worth it just for the lulz. >:)

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I....ah.....damn...guess I'm ordering this game afterall. Well played, Nintendo, well played.

lemiel14n3

happiness is a warm gun
Mar 18, 2010
Well, I already knew I was going to buy this game when it was announced, Pokemon is a part of my childhood that has somehow managed to stick around. I'd be like they were announcing to make Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers again, sure it probably wouldn't be very good, but let's be honest the first one wasn't very good either, and I'd still watch it.

but I have to wonder, with all the effort that Nintendo is going through to make pokemon available online, why not just bite the bullet and make a pokemon MMO. They know it would make money even if they didn't charge a subscription fee, people would still be lining up to buy it. So why not do it.

Or if they aren't going to, let those online pokemon MMOs that pop up occasionally, see the light of day, yeah they're using your trademark, but they're not getting paid. Or let them make it, then give the the rights to use pokemon, in exchange for a cut of their profits, ou get to lie back and get paid after they've done all the work for you.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Ahh I knew about this already. I was hoping that this was breaking news of a Pokemon MMO!

One day....

In reality I know it's unlikely due to Nintendo being all about Nintendo; if an MMO was released, it would more than likely be on the Wii, rather than PC...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'd buy the spaghetti.

I admit it.
Flying Spaghetti Monster, I choose you!

I like the game engine, but the game seems a bit too childish for me.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
The only Pokemon I wouldn't do this with is Jigglypuff, because you know that little thing is tormented by horrifying, bloody nightmares.
They really are pretty horrifying.

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
fundayz said:
I don't understand why Nintendo won't just make a Pokemon MMO.
If you want to understand that, you have to realise that The Nintendo Corporation exists in an alternate reality where common logic works differently.

Whilst other franchises push their best and brightest work out onto the most powerful digital fronts, giving their best games to the Consoles and PC, whilst barely looking at what they crap out onto handheld, Gamefreak/Pokemon/Nintendo seems to want to do it the other way around.

Why? Probably for the lulz or da ca$$h.

edit: That came across a little venomous. But have no doubt, I'll be owning a copy of some 5th Gen Pokemon goodness, even if it does feel like buying the exact same game over and over and over and over and over again.

Gotta Catch 'em All!! *Sobs uncontrollably*

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
fundayz said:
I don't understand why Nintendo won't just make a Pokemon MMO.
Because it'd make too much sense. And pedophiles would plague it, hunting for children, apparently. Nintendo makes sure that that doesn't happen, so they make Wii users share a 12-digit code (more than an average person, let a lone a child, can remember off the top of their head).

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
bob1052 said:
Tom Goldman said:
The only Pokemon I wouldn't do this with is Jigglypuff, because you know that little thing is tormented by horrifying, bloody nightmares.
They really are pretty horrifying.
That just works so wll with your profile pic. It's kind of creepy.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Despite what everyone is saying, A Pokemon MMO wouldn't be as awesome as one would think. What kind of meaningful content could it have over long term periods? It'd probably be easy to move Pokemon into an online space easily. But over the long term it wouldn't have a lasting appeal.