Nintendo Explains Its Accessory Strategy

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Nintendo Explains Its Accessory Strategy

With many of the Wii's top software being sold alongside attachments, Nintendo has spoken on how it has succeeded with selling accessories with Wii games.

The Wii's best-sellers list is topped with Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Play, all of which came packed with a peripheral to enhance gameplay. At E3, Nintendo continued this trend with the announcement of Wii MotionPlus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84994], a more accurate Wiimote, and the Wii Speak, a community microphone to be used online with Animal Crossing: City Folk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85039].

Nintendo vice president of marketing Cammie Dunaway commented to VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2008/07/28/nintendo-sales-chief-cammie-dunaway-talks-about-nintendos-quest-for-a-broader-game-market/] that these accessories sell because they "provide unique interfaces that expand the definition of what a video game is."

"The Wii Balance Board, expanded by scales for Sumo wrestlers, is now being used as a snowboard in a Shaun White game and as a sled in a Rayman Rabbids game," commented Dunaway on the versatility of the add-ons. "It leads to unique and creative experiences. There are a lot of great accessories we have announced at the show. The microphone for Wii Speak will take the community experience inherent in Animal Crossing so that you have a room of people talking to another room of people."

Nintendo accurately decided that bundling the extra hardware with games in high demand.

"It's a great way to give them the whole experience. With Animal Crossing, we will sell the Wii Speak microphone separately," continued Dunaway. "You don't need it to have fun with the game. But it's an enhancement for people who really want to have this community experience.... There are times when we will bundle the accessory. The Wii MotionPlus will come free with Wii Sports Resort because it enables the full range of motion in activities like sword play and tossing a disk."

The technologies used for Nintendo's controllers might not be the most advanced, but Dunaway says ease of use is the company's strong point.

She said, "I'm sure there is a place for those kinds of technologies. But having simple and intuitive interfaces has been one of the secrets of the Wii and the DS."

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
They seem to be overdoing it a bit. . . Prety Excited about City Folk though, but I really don't want to neglect my DS town.

Jesus Christ I need a life.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
"Unique interface" Contentious but possible.
"Expand the definition of what a video game is" Hardly.

The Wii controller is a fun, but ultimately gimmicky way of playing games. As far as I have seen, none of the games have shown anything that couldn't be done on standard controller and some, like Mario, are less playable than on a standard controller.

I can't help thinking of the old adage; Just because something's new doesn't mean it's better.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
The WiiFit board being used as a board is a cool idea, and it might make for a cool skate board game using both the board and the wiimote/nunchuck to pull out tricks and steer.

Let's hope also that the mike will help Wii users communicate outside Animal Crossing...

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
CatmanStu said:
The Wii controller is a fun, but ultimately gimmicky way of playing games. As far as I have seen, none of the games have shown anything that couldn't be done on standard controller and some, like Mario, are less playable than on a standard controller.
It made me, a rabid anti-console gamer, a total PC fundamentalist, enjoy Resident Evil 4.

People who want to use their fucking THUMBS to aim with a firearm make me want to shove their stupid gamepads through their eye sockets. Before the Wiimote, mouse and keyboard was the only way I would even consider playing a shooting game, because nothing else offered that degree of precision and control. But now, I can enjoy console shooters, thanks to that gimmicky little device. Hooray!

I can't imagine playing Boom Blox with a tardpad either. At least, I can't imagine enjoying it at all.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
It's the world's biggest and clumsiest mouse wheel. Painting it in Apple colors and naming it after a body fluid doesn't make it better.