Nintendo Forced To Pay Royalties to Tomita on Every 3DS Sold

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
DiscoRhombus said:
AuronFtw said:
WeepingAngels said:
Really, what did Nintendo do to make you hate them into bankruptcy?
Threaten the livelihoods of hundreds of lets-players and similar entertainers with any amount of gameplay footage in any of their videos on youtube by smacking them with universal, one-size-fits-all DMCA notices, leading to account closures and forfeitures of profit?

If a company as big as Nintendo is literally going out of their way to fuck consumers over, fuck them. Lets play and similar videos is getting them, in essence, free publicity. The people buy their games, play their games and show other people their games, and Nintendo wants to shit all over their work and effort and, in essence, steal their money.

So when a company comes and does the exact same thing back to them, I don't care at all. Call it karma. Maybe if they weren't bitches this wouldn't have happened. And if they weren't bitches and it happened anyway, I might have felt some sympathy. But as it stands, it's one multinational anti-consumer corporation getting fucked over by another. Yawn-o-rama.
I really don't understand this train of thought. Why should an individual profit from the work of a game company? If most of these Let's Players didn't have a game to play then we wouldn't watch them. They owe their entire success to the games they play and the companies that develop them. I don't think they deserve to monetise their videos when all they are doing is providing asinine commentary over a copyrighted product.

Let them get a real job. Nintendo has every right to take the ad revenue from those videos.

I want you to get all the requirements, to buy the hardware, a computer for editing and storing, a card for each console that lets you record gameplay, then I want you to get a microphone(a good one) then do a Let's Play.

And I want you to get a decent size of subscribers that when you get paid by Google, it's actually something you could live on.

Then come back to me, tell me it's not a real job and to stand behind what you said.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
If this is a patent troll, then they're damn successful and quite evil in my book.

If not, if this is just a company trying to develop tech to sell to major companies and Nintendo really did infringe? Then good for them on getting a payout, but the payout is far too large unless Nintendo did something egregious (like blatantly rip them off and leaving a paper trail to prove it).