Nintendo Giving Away Ash's Pikachu

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Giving Away Ash's Pikachu

Trainers in the US can download the quintessential Pokémon, who's designed to be as close to his onscreen counterpart as possible.

There are hundreds of Pokémon, but the most famous is still Ash's Pikachu, thanks to his prominent placement in cartoons, movies and on countless pieces of merchandise. As part of its efforts to promote the new Pokémon Black & White cartoon show, Nintendo is giving people the chance to add this Pokémon celebrity to their team.

Until the 13th of February, Pokémon players in the United States and Puerto Rico can head to Toys "R" Us with their DS and their copy of Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver or HeartGold and download a Pikachu of their very own. This Pikachu is designed to be just like the one on the show, and knows moves like Iron Tail and Thunderbolt. He also carries a Light Ball item, which doubles his Attack and Special Attack stats.

In order to nab Pikachu, players will need to have unlocked the Pokédex in whichever game they want to download him to, and have less than two Wonder cards. Players can download Pikachu multiple times, but only once per game. A full, step-by-step guide to getting your own Pikachu can be found on the official Pokémon website [http://www.pokemongoldsilver.com/us/#/news/ashspikachu/].

I must admit that as downloadable Pokémon go, this one doesn't seem all that great. As popular and/or famous as Pikachu might be, he's not especially rare or unique. It would take a little bit of effort to match the exact move set that the downloadable Pikachu has, but it's far from impossible. Still, it's a level 50 Pokémon that gains XP faster than normal, and that's hard to turn down, even if it isn't unique.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/get-ash-s-pikachu-from-the-black-white-tv-series-193134.phtml]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Are any events like this held in the UK? If so how can I find out about them? I usually only hear about events after they happen.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
*Team Rocket* "Oh what the shit?! After all these years of failing now you're just giving it away to every lil bastard who can convince their parents out of the house?! Screw this, I'm going to Monster Hunter Tri."

And is pikachu even still that popular? Seems with 400+ pokemon out he would've been lost in the sea of "***** you ain't a legendary why would I want you on my team?!"

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Pikachu, I want you! You little brats don't deserve him, I've been waiting for him since I started playing Red! No, not Fire Red, actual Red! Yes, you don't remember it, because it came out before you were born!
Why must I live in the UK?

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Aww, poor little US of A kiddies. I GOT MY PIKACHU THE HARD WAY! By buying Pokemon Yellow! My first Gameboy, and first game. Tetris was my second. So much time well spent, back when I was a wee little kiddie.....

Before I had to pay bills and taxes. Sigh.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Oh good, now we can get Pikachu AND Shiny Suicune this week (at Gamestop)... decisions...
twistedheat15 said:
*Team Rocket* "Oh what the shit?! After all these years of failing now you're just giving it away to every lil bastard who can convince their parents out of the house?! Screw this, I'm going to Monster Hunter Tri."

And is pikachu even still that popular? Seems with 400+ pokemon out he would've been lost in the sea of "***** you ain't a legendary why would I want you on my team?!"

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I can't remember the last time I went to a Toys R Us. I might head over there today if I can find one because the moves it knows are really good...

But really, compared to the 3 shiny legendaries that GameStop was giving out, this is kind of weak.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Geez would you Brits calm down (I'm British as well). Last time I check we will be getting the shinny legendaries Dogs this February before Black and White is release (I check on Serebii event database) page. It?s very likely that us Brit will get the same treatment as the US a month or so later.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
AHHH... pokemon was my crack when i was a kid. games, toys, posters... i miss being a kid.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
So the United States get Ash's famous Pikachu, the UK will end up getting shiny legendaries quite soon, the one question remains is...what does Australia get? Oh not it's fine, don't worry about us, i'm quite fine with you guys getting free Pokemon and me only getting a Mosquito who has been in my room for 3 days and stings me all night.

Anyways, will something like this really kick off big? To me it seems Pokemon games are so old, they're turn based with either crap or no fight animation and the Pokemon names seems to get less and less creative. But if people still care so much then be my guest, go and buy.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Big deal, they're giving away Celebis at Gamestop next month, and Victinis after B/W launches.

Edit: Wait, did you report that? Here are the links: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Legendary_beasts_distribution_reveals_Celebi_event

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Liberty_Pass_event_announced_for_PAL_regions

Although Victini is only in Europe.

Esspytood

no Yabou
Dec 15, 2008
Reeves88 said:
i just cant beleave pokemon is still going strong
this.

i dropped it after my gameboy with gold got left in an esky somehow.

and let me just say... it was super effective to my save file... AND my saving capability.

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
Just like the show, huh?

So its electric attacks ignore type-disadvantages (i.e. Thunderbolt affects Ground types) and it has stats that rival a legendary's?

If not, I'll be very disappointed.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
This article was far more interesting when I misread it as, "Nintendo Giving Away Pikachu's Ashes."