Nintendo Halts Wii Manufacturing

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Halts Wii Manufacturing

Nintendo has very quietly revealed that the venerable Wii is no longer being made.

Just a few weeks after Nintendo announced that production of the Wii would "end soon," the axe has fallen - and the end has come not with a bang or even a whimper, but just a tiny little notice in the upper right corner of the Wii website. Engadget [http://kotaku.com/its-officially-over-the-wii-is-no-longer-in-production-1448945660] puts it at a slightly more succinct "discontinued," but the bottom line is the same: the once-mighty Wii is finished for good.

The Wii had a good run, and although it may have never earned the respect of "real" gamers, it sold more than 100 million units after launching in 2006 and at one time struck fear into the hearts of both Sony and Microsoft. Give that its successor, the Wii U, hasn't managed to even approach that level of success and, with all due respect, probably never will, it really is the end of an era.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/console/index.html]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well, that's quite sad actually. I expected the Wii to still be made for at least a couple more years. I mean hell Sony just stopped making PS2's this year and they still sell like hotcakes. Something's telling me that Nintendo wants more people to buy the Wii U and use it's backwards compatibility for it, which makes sense since the Wii dropped backwards compatibility for the GameCube back in 2011 with the model revision, which no one seemed to complain about.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
Well, that's quite sad actually. I expected the Wii to still be made for at least a couple more years. I mean hell Sony just stopped making PS2's this year and they still sell like hotcakes. Something's telling me that Nintendo wants more people to buy the Wii U and use it's backwards compatibility for it, which makes sense since the Wii dropped backwards compatibility for the GameCube back in 2011 with the model revision, which no one seemed to complain about.
That does seem like a fairly plausible reason for them to cease manufacturing the Wii, there's also the fact it probably isn't selling too well these days anyway since everybody and their grandmother has one (I mean there are 3 of the fucking things in my house).

It's still a touch melancholic though, seeing as the console really did give out some absolutely excellent games amongst all that shovelware. Much like the PS2. But a bit less so.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
It's because there is absolutely no reason to purchase a Wii. Wii U can play all Wii games, meaning it's a Wii 2.0 that is supposed to literally REPLACE the original Wii, not exactly "follow" it in terms of console generations.
Wii was a bit of an experimental mess (admit it) and Wii U is the proper finished version with semi-decent hardware and controls that don't suck.

One of the reasons PS2 was being manufactured for so long is because it's the only console that can play PS2 games, i.e. a fucking huge library with many golden classics. The exclusive games kept the console in high enough demand to justify continued manufacturing, not to mention Sony got it down to a ridiculously cheap price.

SkarKrow said:
(I mean there are 3 of the fucking things in my house).
Not meaning to prod but how the hell did that happen -_-

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Neronium said:
Well, that's quite sad actually. I expected the Wii to still be made for at least a couple more years. I mean hell Sony just stopped making PS2's this year and they still sell like hotcakes.
It's a bit different though, Sony's been selling them for $75 or even less in the third world. They shifted 2 million of them in 2012(!!!). I expect Sony don't have the same problems with over supply that Nintendo are having right now.

Does anyone know if this end of production include the Wii Mini as well? I'm assuming that's still going to store shelves unless Nintendo have specifically killed that as well.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
It's a bit different though, Sony's been selling them for $75 or even less in the third world. They shifted 2 million of them in 2012(!!!). I expect Sony don't have the same problems with over supply that Nintendo are having right now.

Does anyone know if this end of production include the Wii Mini as well? I'm assuming that's still going to store shelves unless Nintendo have specifically killed that as well.
Have you seen how cheap Nintendo Wiis go for? I've been seeing them getting sold for brand new in convineince stores for $100 and like $50-$75 used. Pretty much Nintendo was doing what Sony was doing with the PS2 so Nintendo could have kept the Wii going strong for a bit longer.

As for the Wii Mini, when a console is halted in manufacturing that means that all versions of that console cease in manufacturing. Nintendo dropped support for the Nintendo Wii about a year ago, so this was just the final nail in the coffin, which is sad. Plus with the Wii Mini that didn't sell that well to be honest, so I think Nintendo killed that one a while ago.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Neronium said:
Have you seen how cheap Nintendo Wiis go for?
I'll rephrase that, Sony has been selling PS2s profitably for $75 to third world markets, whereas Nintendo has so much oversupply that stockists are resorting to fire sale prices to move stock at all, so it's a better situation for Sony.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Yuuki said:
It's because there is absolutely no reason to purchase a Wii. Wii U can play all Wii games, meaning it's a Wii 2.0 that is supposed to literally REPLACE the original Wii, not exactly "follow" it in terms of console generations.
Wii was a bit of an experimental mess (admit it) and Wii U is the proper finished version with semi-decent hardware and controls that don't suck.

One of the reasons PS2 was being manufactured for so long is because it's the only console that can play PS2 games, i.e. a fucking huge library with many golden classics. The exclusive games kept the console in high enough demand to justify continued manufacturing, not to mention Sony got it down to a ridiculously cheap price.

SkarKrow said:
(I mean there are 3 of the fucking things in my house).
Not meaning to prod but how the hell did that happen -_-
Well my brother has one, I have one, and for some unknown reason my parents have one in the living room.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Yuuki said:
More like the Wii is more attractive than the Wii U because of it's price and Nintendo is competing against itself. You call Wii U, Wii 2.0 but did Nintendo cease manufacturing Wii Remotes too? Just a few years into the Wii's life cycle Nintendo brand Gamecube controllers were impossible to find new and a few years ago Nintendo dropped Gamecube support altogether.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
More like the Wii is more attractive than the Wii U because of it's price and Nintendo is competing against itself.
But how, can Wii play Wii U games? It's more about the game library than the price, that's what primarily drove PS2 manufacturing (as I said). The Wiimote wasn't exactly a sparkling success, lots of people resorted to buying the Wii gamepad...which wasn't included in most standard Wii bundles. Overall it's a bit of a mess, while Wii U is a vastly more "complete" product.

Nintendo are trying to make us forget about the Wii >_<

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Yuuki said:
WeepingAngels said:
More like the Wii is more attractive than the Wii U because of it's price and Nintendo is competing against itself.
But how, can Wii play Wii U games? It's more about the game library than the price, that's what primarily drove PS2 manufacturing (as I said). The Wiimote wasn't exactly a sparkling success, lots of people resorted to buying the Wii gamepad...which wasn't included in most standard Wii bundles. Overall it's a bit of a mess, while Wii U is a vastly more "complete" product.

Nintendo are trying to make us forget about the Wii >_<
Most of the 100 Million Wii's sold probably went to people who wanted to use the Wii remote. People who wanted to play Wii Sports, the Just Dance games and so on.

As for people not buying Wii's because they can't play Wii U games....Wii U's aren't flying off shelves because the Wii U library isn't that great. Let's not pretend that the Wii U library will keep people from buying a $100 Wii.

Moving on, Nintendo can't really view the Wii U as the Wii 2.0 if they stopped manufacturing Wiimotes.

Yes, they want us to forget about the Wii and eventually they may drop Wii support like they did with the Gamecube/Wii redesign and GBA/DSi, so why did you call it Wii 2.0?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Not surprised. Everybody that wanted a Wii would have gotten one by now, and the WiiU is backwards compatible with all Wii games and peripherals.

Though yes developing countries could have been a new market from them, it seems that they can be logistical nightmares that I doubt Nintendo would want to be involved in (See: Extra Creditz videos on game markets in South America)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
WeepingAngels said:
Yes, they want us to forget about the Wii and eventually they may drop Wii support like they did with the Gamecube/Wii redesign and GBA/DSi, so why did you call it Wii 2.0?
Nintendo dropped support for the Nintendo Wii already. I think they did it either last year or at the beginning of this year because they sent a message to people's Wii inbox.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Neronium said:
WeepingAngels said:
Nintendo dropped support for the Nintendo Wii already. I think they did it either last year or at the beginning of this year because they sent a message to people's Wii inbox.
They dropped software support. Hardware support is just ending.

Nintendo tends to do that. When a new console comes out they just drop the old one like a bad habit. It made sense with the N64 and Gamecube but Wii was successful. Now we know that's just how Nintendo operates regardless of the success of a console.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I have a full library of Wii games I have never touched...probably over 40 I have never even opened (still in the plastic wrap). I do plan on getting to them some year (but new games keep distracting me).

I can't see me ever getting a WII U mainly because of that huge list of Wii games still waiting for me. I have Xenasaga, The Last Story, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (I played 1 but didn't finish it..so it's kinda on my list as well), Monster hunter and a ton of others.

I also have a ton of PS3 and Xbox 360 games backlogged.

But....in general, I go in this order of playing backlogged games.

PC first (easiest....as I'm on my computer all the time).
Ps3 next (my favorite console...it's always set up and just needs me to turn it on)
Xbox 360 (not plugged in/set up..but I do have some games I am really looking forward to playing on it)
Wii (not plugged in/set up....have tons of supposedly good games to play...but I have to play them on my large SDTV instead of my HD tvs..and I just never seem to get around to them).

The Wii interested my wife for a bit (she liked Elibits etc) but honestly it never really grabbed my attention. I enjoy the Ratchet and Clank games more then the Mario Galaxy games personally (actually finishing all the R&C games..and only getting like halfway through the first mario galaxy)...and at least so far the RPGs on the PS3 where way better then the few I played on my Wii. I have to try Xenosaga though as everyone says that is really good (just havn't had a chance).

Anyway I think there are probably more then enough used Wii's and unsold Wii's to satisfy the market...which is probably why nintendo dicontinued them. Especially with the price of the Wii U (used) dropping to around $200..or cheaper if you buy directly from someone on craigslist etc.....the cost of a new Wii just isn't going to be worth it for many people.