Nintendo Has no Plans For Further Super Smash Bros. 4 Balance Patches

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
9,354
0
0
Nintendo Has no Plans For Further Super Smash Bros. 4 Balance Patches


Super Smash Bros. game director Masahiro Sakurai says that he is done with balancing the game on Wii U and 3DS.

With Nintendo finally joining us in the present and embracing digital delivery and he's done with balancing the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138441-Mario-Kart-8-First-DLC-Pack-Arrives-Nov-13-with-Link].

"We don't have any such plans [to further balance the game], but at the very least we will be working on a few things connected to the online play experience, bit by bit," Sakurai told Famitsu [http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/14/sakura-has-no-plans-balance-super-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-further-outside-fixes-improve-online-experience/] in an interview.

He added "If we were to do something like tweak characters' customized special moves, then there'd be no end to it. But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them."

Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Sakurai's previous effort for the Wii, long suffered from quite glaring imbalances and exploits, such as the infamous Meta Knight dimensional cape exploit. Fans eventually took it upon themselves to fix these issues with a fan mod [http://projectmgame.com/en/] to the game, and with Sakurai claiming no further balance patches, could we possibly be seeing history repeat itself?

I personally think they should "nerf" Pikachu, and by "nerf" i mean take his annoying down-b spamming electrical ass out back and beat him so hard he falls off the roster entirely.

Source: Event Hubs [http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/14/sakura-has-no-plans-balance-super-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-further-outside-fixes-improve-online-experience/]

Permalink
 

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1,559
0
0
Steven Bogos said:
I personally think they should "nerf" Pikachu, and by "nerf" i mean take his annoying down-b spamming electrical ass out back and beat him so hard he falls off the roster entirely.
But this is so easy to dodge. Maybe not Warlock Punch easy, but definitely avoidable in most cases.

P.S. Thanks
 

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
1,146
0
0
Personally, I just thing Sakurai's just taking a break. Heaven knows he needs it. He'll probably come back later with some DLC announcements. But for now I'd just let him take a holiday.
 

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
574
0
0
Meh that's cool, sometimes broken games can be a thing of beauty in themselves. I mean imagine a version of Melee where they fixed wave dashing? That would suck.
 

Khymerion

New member
Apr 10, 2012
58
0
0
Not surprised at all to hear this. They really do not have a track record for fixing or seriously adjusting games after a release. Oh well, looks like yet another game where ultimately where there is going to have to set down a series house rules that will change depending on which group of friends you are playing with on what is what, who is available, and so on and so forth... just to keep the blood off the carpets.
 

The_Darkness

New member
Nov 8, 2010
546
0
0
Covarr said:
Steven Bogos said:
I personally think they should "nerf" Pikachu, and by "nerf" i mean take his annoying down-b spamming electrical ass out back and beat him so hard he falls off the roster entirely.
But this is so easy to dodge. Maybe not Warlock Punch easy, but definitely avoidable in most cases.

P.S. Thanks
For learning curves, I quite like Pikachu's down-B. It's an easy move to pull off, and devastating to anyone hit by it at close range. But then people learn to dodge it, and it becomes less useful. But then you learn to juggle people in the air with it, or to deliver a surprise attack from below when they're distracted by something else. It's not just a one-trick pony.

That and, well, it looks awesome.
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,370
0
0
The_Darkness said:
Covarr said:
Steven Bogos said:
I personally think they should "nerf" Pikachu, and by "nerf" i mean take his annoying down-b spamming electrical ass out back and beat him so hard he falls off the roster entirely.
But this is so easy to dodge. Maybe not Warlock Punch easy, but definitely avoidable in most cases.

P.S. Thanks
For learning curves, I quite like Pikachu's down-B. It's an easy move to pull off, and devastating to anyone hit by it at close range. But then people learn to dodge it, and it becomes less useful. But then you learn to juggle people in the air with it, or to deliver a surprise attack from below when they're distracted by something else. It's not just a one-trick pony.

That and, well, it looks awesome.
This is my brothers strategy. And it works at times.
 

JayRPG

New member
Oct 25, 2012
585
0
0
He did say "barring any glaring issues", which sounds to me like he is happy with the balancing in the current built, but if the community find something ridiculously overpowered or buggy they'll fix it.

The statement seems like more of a "we aren't going to make 50 changes a month to character balance because some of the community say this is overpowered, and this is overpowered, and x can't beat x, and this is unfair, because where on earth would it end? but, if there is something that threatens to ruin the balance of the game and online play, we'll take a look at it"

Seems perfectly fair, I'd rather it not turn into something like monthly WoW balancing patches where your class/character is overpowered one month, underpowered the next, then fine, then underpowered again, then overpowered etc etc
 

J Tyran

New member
Dec 15, 2011
2,407
0
0
Don't own it but I will say with any game you will never get people 100% and completely happy with the balance in a multiplayer game, sometimes "fixing" the balance just makes it worse as changing one thing "breaks" others. It can be a never ending feedback loop, one which at the end of the day after they finally do stop supporting it can leave people just as unhappy with the overall balance.

However if they have a track record of leaving blatant exploits in and not patching those that can be worrying for the players.
 

Liquidprid3

New member
Jan 24, 2014
237
0
0
It seems that if anything absolutely ridiculous is discovered, it'll be patched out, and that's fine. Diddy isn't Meta Knight OP, and I'm learning the matchup after some tourneys, so I can deal with him for now.
 

Misterian

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
1,832
1
43
Country
United States
Eh, doesn't bother me none, I got the 3DS version and I personally thought most of the characters were handled reasonably well.

my only real problems were the overhaul on Shiek's fighting style and Toon Link's side smash not having much knockback, but the way I see it, if those are my only problems, I'm in a good place.
 

144_v1legacy

New member
Apr 25, 2008
648
0
0
Good. This is good. I remember reading that article about Smash in which it showed character popularity over time. It's something that's only possible if a community is forced to find ways to fight against seemingly better tactics through years of trial and error, and evolves the gameplay a lot.
 

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
4,267
0
0
Good that you're finally taking a break, Sakurai. You've definitely earned it after all the partying that's been going on.

 

KazeAizen

New member
Jul 17, 2013
1,129
0
0
Blaine Houle said:
Not surprised at all to hear this. They really do not have a track record for fixing or seriously adjusting games after a release. Oh well, looks like yet another game where ultimately where there is going to have to set down a series house rules that will change depending on which group of friends you are playing with on what is what, who is available, and so on and so forth... just to keep the blood off the carpets.
You make it sound like that is one of the worst things that could happen.
 

DaViller

New member
Sep 3, 2013
172
0
0
I wish they would put the item throw cancels, greninjas teleport cancel and dacus back in. Not that it would make my game any better (at least at the moment, I main ike but I will learn to Link and Marth as well. I wanna be able to play a 2 handed sword bro, a one handed rapier bro and a sword and shield bro, one bro for each available sword style), but I like the idea of advanced mechanics being in the game and nintendo shouldn´t be so eager to patch all of it out as soon as someone sees it. Of course shit like mega man being able to instantly cancel any combo via down b had to got, but nintendo needs to learn to distinquish the good glitches from the bad glitches, sometimes accidents make things better.