Nintendo Holds Limited-Time Pokemon Over Fans' Heads

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
MBergman said:
Veloxe said:
I already caught them all back in red and blue. I have no need to catch them all again.
Hells to the yes! We all know that there's only 151 REAL Pokémon! (;
Hooray for the 3 original (and best) starters!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Meh. Nintendo likes to think it's holds the reins when there are other ways to get such items.

And since I do like to restart games after a while, driving out to New York or LA to attend a con for an in-game item just seems tremendously stupid. At least they're just using Wi-Fi this time.

oxybe

May 1, 2009
eh. i was planning on getting the game anyways on launch, for me this is just a bonus.

as for the "special event" 'mons, our local EBGames is right outside the mall bus termial so i can just pick them up on my commute to work. the Toys R Us mons have yet to really pique my interest, so i've not cared much about missing them. any Wifi event mons i can grab pretty much any time.

either way, i am looking forward to the new games, they have a few new interesting ones and the fact i can't just 'port over a 100 dragonite means i might actually have to (gasp) play the game first... :p

i rather do enjoy playing them without hacking. i'm sure some of the GTS ones i've gotten are probably hacked, but i wouldn't know since i never play with legendaries and use them to finish out my national dex.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
As soon as Nintendo started releasing new Pokemon (main series) games annually, Pokemon became to Nintendo as what CoD is to Activision

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
I've still got some money saved. I'll get it ASAP and connect to get this. I don't think it will be a status symbol though.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Drentics said:
I never saw the appeal in catching all of them. Especially the legendaries.

You get them too late in the game to use them for anything but the elite four and by then I'd rather use the team I've been building from the start than some wonky-looking new guy.
actually you can get this one pretty early in the game

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Any Black & White owner that connects to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection between March 6 and April 10 will receive a Liberty Pass. This Liberty Pass provides access to an exclusive island that can't be reached through normal gameplay. Within this island hides the mythical Victini.
Well that's a load of bullshit...

If they (hypothetically) make me pay full RRP but only grant me limited access to content I've paid for then surely this breaches some consumer laws? I mean, If the programs are already installed on the cartridge then I'm paying for content that I can't access. Shallow reasoning aside this surely has legal implications doesn't it not? If it were DLC then that'd be a different matter of course...

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Jumwa said:
One thing I can tell you that the games haven't done, is grown stale and unchanging.
Honestly, when the games stop being about a kid who finds a scientist who gives them a choice of three pokemon and then asks them to go to the next town and back before letting them get pokeballs or a pokedex and then sends them out to collect all the pokemon while earning 8 badges from pokemon gyms and battling a devious group of people who want to use pokemon for evil, I'll give that statement some merit.

But until they come up with a new idea, I'm not gonna play the same game with a few added gimmicks ("Oh man, I can dress up my pokemon and put them in a beauty pageant... why is this fun?"). Slightly changing minute details but leaving the basic plot and mechanics untouched makes a game stale.

Hold items are not innovative. More pokemon in each battle is not innovative.

Where's the pokemon MMO?.. or even a pokemon game with a different plot?

They'll never exist because people continue to buy the same game.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
TomLikesGuitar said:
Honestly, when the games stop being about a kid who finds a scientist who gives them a choice of three pokemon and then asks them to go to the next town and back before letting them get pokeballs or a pokedex and then sends them out to collect all the pokemon while earning 8 badges from pokemon gyms and battling a devious group of people who want to use pokemon for evil, I'll give that statement some merit.

But until they come up with a new idea, I'm not gonna play the same game with a few added gimmicks ("Oh man, I can dress up my pokemon and put them in a beauty pageant... why is this fun?"). Slightly changing minute details but leaving the basic plot and mechanics untouched makes a game stale.

Hold items are not innovative. More pokemon in each battle is not innovative.

Where's the pokemon MMO?.. or even a pokemon game with a different plot?

They'll never exist because people continue to buy the same game.
So because games in a series have common elements, it is therefore all the same game? Your reasoning could equally be applied to all game series in existence (except maybe Xcom) proving them all "the same game".

You could get all worked up about the similarities, but personally, after visiting the series again after so many years, I've only been startled and amused by the changes.

I fail to see how following the "me too" trend of MMOs would be considered new to you though, or why you go looking to Pokemon for convincing narratives. That'd be like playing Final Fantasy because you love the heart-pounding action combat.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Meh. I can't connect my DS to the internet, so this truely doesn't matter to me. Besides, Victni or whatever looks meh.

wolfgirl90

Mar 6, 2009
Jumwa said:
Victini the Victory pokemon, huh? That'd be like if they did "Butterfree: the Butterfly Pokemon!" Rofl my socks off, huh?
Er...Butterfree IS known as the Butterfly Pokemon, just like how Charmander is the Lizard Pokemon, Vulpix is the Fox Pokemon, Psyduck is the Duck Pokemon, Zubat is the Bat Pokemon, Rattata is the Mouse Pokemon, Ekans is the Snake Pokemon and Exeggcute is the Egg Pokemon. Unless it is something weird, Nintendo hardly ever categories a Pokemon beyond its basic form (e.g calling a fox based Pokemon a Fox Pokemon). And even then, the Species the Pokemon belongs to may not be unique to the Pokemon. For example, Machop, Machoke and Machamp are all known as the Superpower Pokemon; Horsea, Seadra, Kingdra Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite and Salamence are all known as Dragon Pokemon.

And that ends my demonstration as big time Pokemon nerd.

Anyway, I was going to get Black and White anyway, so this event doesn't change my mind about getting it. However, I do care about getting all of the Pokemon.

Yep, I'm 20 years old and I will still go to a Gamestop or Toys R Us (well, near them; the wireless eliminates the need to actually be inside the store) just to get a Pokemon and complete my Pokedex (a task I was actually able to do with Diamond and Pearl).

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
wolfgirl90 said:
Er...Butterfree IS known as the Butterfly Pokemon...
Yeah, that was my joke, directed at the person who said that Nintendo somehow crapped out by saying Victini was the victory pokemon. : )

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Not to be that guy, but I'll either AR code mine since there will be one with the exact same stats, or I'll just trade for one. I'm not in a huge hurry, and my wifi never seems to work.

I know, that makes me a horrible person. But really, I've only cheated to get the pokemon. I still trained them, and none have any abilities they shouldnt.

Still, They always do this, so really I'm just waitng till the last 6 or so come up for events.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
Meh. I can't connect my DS to the internet, so this truely doesn't matter to me. Besides, Victni or whatever looks meh.
I read the stats on Serebii. Its only:
<spoiler=If you want to know. If not, dont look>100 in all six stats as their base. Its basically Manaphy, and that usually doesnt make it very good unless it has some kick ass attacks or amazing stats. It will probably be an Uber support

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
You know, I don't think this is a bad thing. I see this as an extra bonus. And knowing Nintendo, they'll give another chance to get it somewhere in the future.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Sounds like Nintendo has been taking history lessons and stumbled across the "Beanie Baby" scam...err..marketing strategy. :)

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
AH, well I guess it doesn't really matter anyways since I never really planned on catching them all.

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
This why I've grown to despise Pokemon, it has the same characteristics as a drug dealer, I just don't trust it and refuse to give it my money.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
I'm sorry to everyone who is angry with the delusion that Nintendo is withholding Pokemon from them. I want to apologize that they must resort to 'cheating' the game in order to officially 'catch 'em all'. I'm sorry that this service is free and often. And finally I'm sorry that Nintendo has found so many alternative ways to get people to connect together despite the fact that their audience now spans two generations around the world.

Seriously though, the headline to this article is very misleading. I wouldn't say that Nintendo is WITHHOLDING Pokemon from its fans. In reality, they are providing alternate ways to get Pokemon, which follows along with the main philosophy of Pokemon - connecting people together. This is very powerful, especially since Nintendo does not actually HAVE a DLC support system, but they do have Pokemon, making Pokemon one of the only games on any Nintendo system with dynamic and continuous gameplay, making it more viable over a longer amount of time. FOR FREE.

This is not something to dislike. This is an addition to Pokemon to make the game more fun, in order to better connect people via online resources, and to keep the game fresh at all times.

And its not like this is the LAST time we'll be able to get Victini. Let's keep John Funk on the Pokemon news next time, I love you Tom, and your analysis on gaming news, but this one's kinda weird.