Nintendo is Filing Copyright Claims on Mario Minecraft Videos

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo is Filing Copyright Claims on Mario Minecraft Videos

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1323/1323578.jpgIn another copyright fiasco, copyright claims from Nintendo are appearing on Mario-themed Minecraft videos.

Earlier this week, Nintendo rolled out the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack for Minecraft on the Wii U. The free DLC contained over 40 character skins from the Super Mario series, special blocks, and music from various Mario titles.

If you know the Minecraft community, you won't be surprised to learn that many fans were quick to start rolling out YouTube videos of their adventures in this new DLC. And if you've followed Nintendo's history on YouTube, you won't be surprised to hear that many of those YouTubers were quickly hit with copyright strikes from - you guessed it - Nintendo.

Developer 4J Studios, who developed Minecraft for all consoles (not just Wii U), quickly responded on Twitter, saying that it was investigating the issue with Nintendo.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/4JStudios/status/733206604166889472]

4J also responded to a tweet [https://twitter.com/4JStudios/status/732984473147559936] from a user , saying that "Nintendo are going to investigate and resolve," the erroneous claims.

While it's nice to see a (hopefully) quick resolution to the problem, this issue just underscores the differences between the companies that have embraced streaming and videos, and those that have not. Nintendo has largely been the latter, as this latest incident demonstrates.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Will be nice to see their business partner bust their balls over this. Nintendo really needs to get with the times.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The moment this mash-up was announced, I thought "Well, there goes all the Minecraft streamers..." Seriously, if you didn't see this one coming a mile away then you haven't been paying attention.

Seriously Nintendo...for being the games company that ostensibly prioritizes just having good ol' fashioned fun with their games, they're certainly very anti-fun when it comes to their YouTube policy. But I guess they can afford to be a bunch of dicks over what is essentially free marketing and advertisement. >.>

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I try to defend Nintendo a lot, but I can never defend their issues with copyright. Even before Businessman CEO this was their biggest flaw.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Let me get this straight: Nintendo is making copyrights claim on LP videos showing the newest DLC for the Wii U version of a game which its success was mostly thanks to LP videos? I can't tell if this is hilarious of sad; so I'll settle for hilariously sad.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
Generations of gamers are growing up gaining exposure to games through watching their favorite Lets Players play through them. Nintendo has always had the most kid friendly console, and yet they're refusing to let themselves be advertised to the people they sell the most too. How long till they crash and burn I wonder.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Boy Nintendo has decided to blow all their fans goodwill over the past year. Censorship, copyright strikes, region locking and poor translation for localization. Talk about being a company that is easy to hate. Seriously, they are making me start to dislike them more than Konami and that is a massive feat.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Blazing Hero said:
Boy Nintendo has decided to blow all their fans goodwill over the past year. Censorship, copyright strikes, region locking and poor translation for localization. Talk about being a company that is easy to hate. Seriously, they are making me start to dislike them more than Konami and that is a massive feat.
Oh please man do you think most people care about this? I certainly don't care if Nintendo is stopping streaming of this Mario themed Minecraft?

And what's to complain when Game Grumps is still posting Nintendo games in their videos?

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Why do people like Nintendo again? Why were people sad when it was starting to look grim?
If Konami has shown us anything, your history doesn't mean shit for what a company is today.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Chaosian said:
Why do people like Nintendo again? Why were people sad when it was starting to look grim?
If Konami has shown us anything, your history doesn't mean shit for what a company is today.
Because they make games people love. Really simple.

OT: Since 4J Studio said Nintendo assured them copyright claims won't happen, I'm willing to believe that no one gave their lawyer the memo or it's some agreement with youtube and they didn't whitelist Minecraft videos. If not for the tweet I would have no doubt that it's Nintendo being Nintendo, years behind the internet.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
See you this Nintendo? This is why nobody like you nor are you popular anymore when you keep sueing/ bring them into court when they simply making light used of your property!

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Honestly, I don't care if this is intentional or not. If their existing copyright-claim policies are so aggressive that they managed to cause collateral damage then I'm not inclined to absolve them of blame.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
I don't think that Nintendo knows how advertising works in 2016.
THE FANS WILL DO THE ADVERTISING FOR YOU IF THEY LIKE THE PRODUCT!!!
Almost everyone knows that.
Marvel, for example, thrives on the online support of the fans.
Not Nintendo though, they're going their own way.

#NGTOW

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Blazing Hero said:
Boy Nintendo has decided to blow all their fans goodwill over the past year. Censorship, copyright strikes, region locking and poor translation for localization.
Copyright strikes being the only one of those that doesn't go back almost the entire length of the company's gaming history. I'm curious as to why this is "over the past year."

Scarim Coral said:
See you this Nintendo? This is why nobody like you nor are you popular anymore when you keep sueing/ bring them into court when they simply making light used of your property!
Nobody's being sued and thus far there's no evidence of people being brought to court. While I think this is a lousy act by Nintendo, it's rather disheartening that news stories can't be discussed in a cogent fashion. The merits or flaws of copyright strikes should stand or fall on their own without turning into tales of Nintendo suing people.

By the way, Nintendo is still plenty popular and people are still more than happy to defend them ardently. I mean, fair enough that there's anger at them over various issues, but all they need to do is drop another Mario or Zelda to get like, fifty billion sales. The outrage is either a. limited or b. not sufficient to harm Nintendo.

Which brings up the question of why they would even care if "nobody likes them" as long as people keep buying their stuff.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I wonder who assured them that this wouldn't happen, Nintendo of America or Nintendo Japan?

I remember hearing about several companies' western branches being open to Youtube videos while the Eastern central branch basically overrules them and cracks down on said videos. Might be a similar thing here.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
Are these strikes or claims? There's a big divide between the two, especially for non-Partners.

praisegrima

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
The super mario 64 music that is added in here is setting off automated systems, this isn't an active move on Nintendo part

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt anyone didn't see this coming. Nintendo has a reputation to keep, after all. If they don't file those copyright claims, they just wouldn't be them. We don't want anyone thinking they've suddenly gone soft!

Stay classy, Nintendo.