Nintendo is Making a Full Pokemon RPG for the Switch

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo is Making a Full Pokemon RPG for the Switch

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1413/1413920.jpgWe may not have heard of it in Nintendo's recent Direct broadcast, but there is a full Pokemon RPG in development for the Switch.

Pokemon fans were disappointed when there was no mention of a main-line RPG in development for the Nintendo Switch in last week's Nintendo Direct [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170497-Pokken-Tournament-DX-Coming-to-Switch-Ultra-Sun-and-Ultra-Moon-to-3DS]. But those same fans got excited yesterday, as Nintendo confirmed that there is a full Pokemon RPG in the works for its newest console.

As rumors had said, the game is in the works at Game Freak. In the Nintendo Spotlight stream yesterday, the developer said that the new game was "maybe more than a year away." Beyond that, there were no further details offered.

Could this game be the rumored Pokemon Stars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168852-Rumor-Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon-Game-Coming-to-Nintendo-Switch]? Maybe. It could also be a version of Sun and Moon for the Switch, much like the recently announced Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

We'll have to wait to find out, but Pokemon fans now have one more thing to look forward to on Switch.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Surprising absolutely no one. With the Switch being a hybrid (but more or less a handheld in principle) it wasn't a question of if, but when it would get a proper Pokemon game.

Yeah, this will probably drive huge sells when the game comes out.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So when people say Pokemon RPG its essentially the Pokemon games they have making since forever?

I came here thinking Nintendo was gonna make a Pokemon game with an actual story and characters and stuff. I have never really thought of the main Pokemon games as RPGs.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Now, here's the thing - Mainline Pokemon (i.e. 'Pokemon Stars') or Sideline Pokemon RPG (i.e. 'Pokemon Colosseum XD 2: Gale of Electric Boogaloo')? Because I tell you now, one of these will make me buy a Switch...

Though, given it's a year+ away, probably a sideline game. Even if they have to do an overhaul I doubt it'd take that long to port Sun/Moon or Ultra Sun/Moon over. Although although, maybe they're gonna take dumbass road and split the next generation of pokemon between the 3DS and the Switch... fuck, now I wish it is a Sideline game, I just made myself paranoid that they might be that dumb. God dammit.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Damn, bit late on the news, are we? So far for relying on The Escapist for gaming news. Pity, used to be my premier source.

Regardless, this together with Metroid Prime 4 cemented my wish to buy a Switch. I'm quite sure it won't just be a version of Sun/Moon. They'd have included it with the Ultra games announcement if that were the case. It makes no sense to use the vague language of a 'core RPG Pokemon game' otherwise. So yeah call me excited.
Bob_McMillan said:
I have never really thought of the main Pokemon games as RPGs.
You should see the competitive side. Shit's crazy with all the min-maxing going on, Pokemon games facilitate some hardcore RPG crap for sure.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
So when people say Pokemon RPG its essentially the Pokemon games they have making since forever?

I came here thinking Nintendo was gonna make a Pokemon game with an actual story and characters and stuff. I have never really thought of the main Pokemon games as RPGs.
Pokemon not an RPG? Pokemon is one of the few series to maintain classic RPG gameplay. It is more an RPG than most "RPGs" today.

Edit: Its more RPG than Final Fantasy now.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Saelune said:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Switch confirmed. :p
Those were side games though, the point of this is that we can look forward to an actual Red/Blue-etc type game.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Saelune said:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Switch confirmed. :p
Those were side games though, the point of this is that we can look forward to an actual Red/Blue-etc type game.
Says who? They said they are making a "Pokemon RPG for the Switch". There have been plenty of Pokemon RPGs that arent a main series game.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Saelune said:
Says who?
Says the Pokemon guy actually making the announcement during the Nintendo Direct stream. Look it up, because I don't know why the article didn't include that quote. It's going to be a core game. They only ever called the Red/Blue-etc games core games. So y'know, hype hype hype and all that.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Saelune said:
Says who?
Says the Pokemon guy actually making the announcement during the Nintendo Direct stream. Look it up, because I don't know why the article didn't include that quote. It's going to be a core game. They only ever called the Red/Blue-etc games core games. So y'know, hype hype hype and all that.
Can you show me where? I havent watched any of them.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Saelune said:
Cowabungaa said:
Saelune said:
Says who?
Here's a record of the Nintendo Direct [https://youtu.be/Ii1QDmMzI8I?t=587] that I'm watching at the moment because I incidentally love the streamer who covers it, but there's the actual announcement.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Saelune said:
Cowabungaa said:
Saelune said:
Says who?
Here's a record of the Nintendo Direct [https://youtu.be/Ii1QDmMzI8I?t=587] that I'm watching at the moment because I incidentally love the streamer who covers it, but there's the actual announcement.
Hm, so he did. I still would wait before getting overhyped though.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Well, guess I'll be buying a Nintendo Switch then.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Saelune said:
Hm, so he did. I still would wait before getting overhyped though.
Well, I'm not exactly expecting this game actually being in a new Pokemon generation. I'm guessing an alternate story in an established generation. But that's alright with me. I'm perfectly fine with it being in whatever previous gen (as long as it's not 3, fuck all that water) if it plays like the glorious third person RPG we all want. If it has even 25% of the breadth of Breath of the Wild I'm so fucking on board. It won't take much to please me with this.
Wrex Brogan said:
Though, given it's a year+ away, probably a sideline game.
Nope. It's a pretty poor article that doesn't even bother to quote the Pokemon developer who made the announcement. It's going to be a core game, aka the Red/Blue type games.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Maybe my faux ban on Pokemon will finally be lifted. It's not that I hate Pokemon but I don't really play handhelds. I'm the guy who bought a GBA adapter for my Game Cube so that I could play Phantasy Star. Though I'm a bit resentful this is going to cause me to buy a Switch for my Wife, a Switch for my Daughter, and a Switch for my Father just so they can all play Pokemon together.

Milenkov

Aug 16, 2009
I wonder if it's going to a Coliseum affair (Please yes!) or a Mystery Dungeon entry (eh...)

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Saelune said:
Bob_McMillan said:

Pokemon not an RPG? Pokemon is one of the few series to maintain classic RPG gameplay. It is more an RPG than most "RPGs" today.

For me, Pokemon was more of a collect-a-thon with a JRPG plot (nowerdays. Gen 1 and 2 has just "become champion" with defeating the bad guys being more of a side-thing you just had to do) and turn-based combat instead of platforming.
A collect-a-thon that, unless I lived in Japan, required me to purchase two copies of the game in both versions to actually get a 100% chance. Which, now with over 600 of those buggers and countless of them exclusive to events I would need to buy a planeticket to get, is basically impossible to accomplish.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bindal said:
Saelune said:
Bob_McMillan said:

For me, Pokemon was more of a collect-a-thon with a JRPG plot (nowerdays. Gen 1 and 2 has just "become champion" with defeating the bad guys being more of a side-thing you just had to do) and turn-based combat instead of platforming.
A collect-a-thon that, unless I lived in Japan, required me to purchase two copies of the game in both versions to actually get a 100% chance. Which, now with over 600 of those buggers and countless of them exclusive to events I would need to buy a planeticket to get, is basically impossible to accomplish.
Collecting them all is more achievable now than it has ever been. I should know, I managed it.

I used to buy both copies, now I dont. I dont need to. Want that pokemon only in Sun? Put the one thats only in Moon and ask for it. You will get it.

GTS is your friend.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Saelune said:
Bindal said:
Saelune said:
Bob_McMillan said:

Collecting them all is more achievable now than it has ever been. I should know, I managed it.

I used to buy both copies, now I dont. I dont need to. Want that pokemon only in Sun? Put the one thats only in Moon and ask for it. You will get it.

GTS is your friend.
Well, trading is now making it a non-issue. But want any Event-Exclusive ones? No chance to ever get them. Not just event-versions of normal ones, I think there are quite a few that you can literally only get via an event or cheat device.
And then there are, of course, several of the legendaries of previous versions. If you don't have the version in question, it is probably a bit tricky getting those without buying the newest release of those versions in some form (Remake or VC re-release)