Nintendo is Scaling Up Switch Production to Meet Demand

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo is Scaling Up Switch Production to Meet Demand

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1374/1374346.jpgIt's still hard to find the Switch in stores, but Nintendo is looking to address that issue.

The Nintendo Switch is still one of the hardest items to find in your local game store, but that could change if Nintendo has its way. The company is still working to scale up production of its new console to meet demand.

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime told IGN [] that the company is working to improve supply, but that he couldn't confirm when that might happen.

"What we are doing, as quickly as we can, is scaling up the production to make more available into the marketplace, to get to the point where every consumer who wants a Nintendo Switch can find a Nintendo Switch," Fils-Aime said. "That's what we're trying to get to. I'm not going to tell you when we'll get there, but our goal is to improve our supply chain so that more product is available to more consumers. And that is a key focus."

The Nintendo Switch shipped 2.74 million units in March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170235-Nintendo-Switch-Ships-2-74-Million-Units-March-Hopes-For-10-M-in-Next-Fiscal-Year], and the company hopes to ship anther 10 million in its 2017-18 fiscal year. That won't be possible unless it addresses the production and stock issues that seem to be plaguing the system right now.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
To be fair, that isn't just Nintendo's fault. [http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendo-battles-apple-for-parts-as-demand-for-switch-console-soars-2017-05-30] There's some component shortages in the industry. Maybe this is a signal that they booked some succes in scoring parts in favour of other contenders.

Sep 24, 2008
Still won't buy it until I get mp4 video playback functionality. I don't even play my steam games for hours any more. I'm normally watching youtube or videos. Lugging around an expensive piece of equipment that I might use only 30% of the time is a no-go for me

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Too. Fucking. Late.

I love Nintendo. I always have. You never really stop loving your first...

But nothing, -nothing- Nintendo has done in the last three years gives me any confidence at all that they have learned a damn thing from their shortcomings last, and current, generation. And this "forced scarcity" nonsense is really just the cream on the rancid coffee.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
To be fair, that isn't just Nintendo's fault. [http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendo-battles-apple-for-parts-as-demand-for-switch-console-soars-2017-05-30] There's some component shortages in the industry. Maybe this is a signal that they booked some succes in scoring parts in favour of other contenders.
Despite clear, verifiable evidence that Nintendo is trying to make more Switches and that part supply is a major hurdle, I'm sure there will still be plenty of people saying they're keeping it scare on purpose as some sort of ploy to make less money on fewer sales or something.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Fake-edit: I accidentally left my browser window open without hitting post for a few hours. In that time, someone did indeed play the "forced scarcity" card, just like I knew would happen. :(

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
mythgraven said:
And this "forced scarcity" nonsense is really just the cream on the rancid coffee.
Except not really, [http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendo-battles-apple-for-parts-as-demand-for-switch-console-soars-2017-05-30] as I've said in another post.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Hopefully I'll be able to get one come Christmas. I REALLY want to play Super Mario Odyssey.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It won't be until next year, when Toshiba says they will be able to meet demand. Blame Apple for hogging all the NAND memory that The Switch relies upon.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Covarr said:
P.P.S. Fake-edit: I accidentally left my browser window open without hitting post for a few hours. In that time, someone did indeed play the "forced scarcity" card, just like I knew would happen. :(
To be fair however given that Nintendo have done forced scarcity in the past it isn't hard to see why people would suspect it of them with the Switch.

I have to agree with another poster though in that I won't be interested in the Switch until it gets more functionality. At the moment there is very little reason for me to want to take a Switch anywhere over my Nexus 7 and a iPEGA stretch controller (where I have great media functionality and a great games library.)

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
mythgraven said:
And this "forced scarcity" nonsense is really just the cream on the rancid coffee.
Except not really, [http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendo-battles-apple-for-parts-as-demand-for-switch-console-soars-2017-05-30] as I've said in another post.
This is the part where I refute your post by linking something else [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWFBqiUgspg], despite the fact that Switch console having hard to get parts has little to do with Big N's continual failure to meet demand, across multiple platforms, peripherals, and accessories.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
mythgraven said:
Oh yes, very relevant that is...

Look, you won't see me defending the bullshit they pull with those Amibo things or the stupidity with that NES Classic, but when it comes to the Switch you can't get around the facts; there's a component shortage. You have to stay honest about the whole thing.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
mythgraven said:
Oh yes, very relevant that is...

Look, you won't see me defending the bullshit they pull with those Amibo things or the stupidity with that NES Classic, but when it comes to the Switch you can't get around the facts; there's a component shortage. You have to stay honest about the whole thing.

Fair enough.
And you take that back. That video is relevant to everything.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
In a related story scalpers across the country have begun leasing warehouse space for the increased inventory expected to arrive by year's end.