Nintendo Keen To Join Lucrative DLC Biz

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Nintendo Keen To Join Lucrative DLC Biz

No longer content to let Microsoft and Sony have all the fun, Nintendo has unveiled plans to offer downloadable in-game content on both the upcoming Wii U console and the 3DS handheld.

During a financial conference call last Friday, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata was asked for his thoughts on downloadable content. Instead of brushing the query off in typical "Nintendo does things differently" fashion, Mr. Iwata revealed that the company is working on a paid DLC system for its modern gaming machines.

Presumably this system will appear alongside the Wii U at that console's launch. The 3DS iteration should appear sometime later this year.

Though Nintendo likes the idea of utilizing the new revenue stream, the company will be approaching the use of DLC in its first-party titles cautiously. Andriasang reports:

Nintendo may be selective in its use of this system for itself, though. Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto are interested in the possibility of extending the life of games through added stages and other features that players want. However, Iwata believes that pursuing certain types of low quality paid download content opportunities -- things like unlocking keys or stat increases -- would, while likely increasing short term profits, not allow them to build along term relationship with customers. Therefor, Nintendo feels that it should not have this type of low quality content for itself.

Iwata also questioned the concept of free-to-play games, where you start playing the game for free and are charged for item purchases. He feels that this type of system would damage the premium value Nintendo's content.

Further, Iwata pointed out that while 3DS owners are far more likely to utilize the console's online connectivity than owners of the original Nintendo DS, the number of people downloading paid content from Nintendo's online store is still relatively small. He hopes the service will expand in the future, and that the introduction of DLC similar to that seen on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 might assist in this effort.

As an aside, Iwata also states that the introduction of DLC to Nintendo systems does not signal the death of retail game packaging. Instead, Iwata hopes, the DLC will serve as "another pillar" in Nintendo's gaming empire.

While I like the option of additional content on any platform, I'm trying to imagine how it might work with, say, The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. New fighters for a Smash Bros. sequel or new items for Animal Crossing would be great, but I just can't imagine how you could work DLC into Nintendo's core series. Ideas?

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/01/3ds_wiiu_paid_downloads/]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
New DLC from CAPCOM! A "Delete Save" button for Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D!!! Only £6.99!

OT: Well, I can't say it's bad, I mean, it gives people the option for extra game. Though it does also mean that some publishers (*cough**cough*CAPCOM*cough*) will make a game but withhold features for DLC (Like the competitive multiplayer in Resident Evil 5) and some even relying on DLC as an excuse for a game that doesn't have a lot to it, saying it will expanded over time.

So, yeah, good and bad.

Oh, but extra characters in Super Smash Bros. is an awesome idea, so long as it's economical, but they better fucking keep Snake on it, even if he was just there to promote MGS4, he was still a damn good guy to play as, if you knew how to work him.

Calumon: Maybe I could be a power-up! Digivolve ALL the fighters! :D

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I still say that companies should give me a complete game or get out.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
DLC Pokemon?

I'm game. Getting older generation legendaries in new games is a pain in the ass.

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
Extra characters for Smash Bros and items for animal crossing would work. For things like traditional Mario/Zelda games I think free patches with new features rather than content per se would work better. For example adding things like time trial modes, boss rush modes or just plain old bug fixes and gameplay tweaks.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
While I like the option of additional content on any platform, I'm trying to imagine how it might work with, say, The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. New fighters for a Smash Bros. sequel or new items for Animal Crossing would be great, but I just can't imagine how you could work DLC into Nintendo's core series. Ideas?
New levels for Mario would be easy:

World 9
World 10
World 11
etc...

Even Galaxy had a hub that's easy to add to.
Saving the princess is just an excuse to go through the platforming levels so adding more is fine in this instance.

Zelda could have new dungeons where they can experiment with new items to add to Link's inventory.
It would give Nintendo a way to see if future changes to Link's items would go over well with Zelda fans without having to guess if it will in a full game.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
cursedseishi said:
Its less of them "embracing DLC", its more likely its a little TOO expensive to have to constantly ship around new disks and fixes (like with Other M's little game-killing dilemma).

Besides, I thought we already established that Nintendo is always one step behind the curve when it comes to their consoles, so whose really surprised by this?
It's less of them embracing DLC and more of them really really needing the money.

Personally though, I don't consider this good news. I am not a fan of DLC.

the spud

May 2, 2011
You have picked up a distress signal on your pip boy radio. "The princess is in another castle, I repat, the princess is in another castle!"

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
the spud said:
You have picked up a distress signal on your pip boy radio. "The princess is in another castle, I repeat, the princess is in another castle!"
I want to play that fallout DLC

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
The easy way to have dlc with Nintendo's core franchises would be to add more worlds. The next Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario World could just have more worlds added on after release. Simple enough.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
New Nintendo DLC is easy! Just select the piece of DLC you want, find the 15 digit code associated with that piece then input the 12 digit code found in the corresponding game's manual and your 20 console code into the DLC website after signing on with your 18 digit log on key and your set; you're DLC will be mailed to you within 4-6 weeks!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Onyx Oblivion said:
DLC Pokemon?

I'm game. Getting older generation legendaries in new games is a pain in the ass.
Oh god, yes!

I would love for this to happen, digging out cables to move just one pokemon to another game is a pain and so is that new wireless system they have, it's not easier to use and just as painful.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Love it, can't wait to see what they come up with! Hopefully it'll be a place where Nintendo's more insane people can take risks and try out new ideas.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BrunDeign said:
The easy way to have dlc with Nintendo's core franchises would be to add more worlds. The next Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario World could just have more worlds added on after release. Simple enough.
So you really want to give Nintendo more money for a full game? I can see it all now: "Oh silly us, we forgot to mention that there are a few extra planets in Super Mario Galaxy 2. We couldn't finish them before release but we'll sell them to you now for only 1000 Wii points." You're $50 game just became $60 and beyond.

Why would anyone be in favor of this after seeing how DLC has been abused thus far.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Crono1973 said:
BrunDeign said:
So you really want to give Nintendo more money for a full game? I can see it all now: "Oh silly us, we forgot to mention that there are a few extra planets in Super Mario Galaxy 2. We couldn't finish them before release but we'll sell them to you now for only 1000 Wii points." You're $50 game just became $60 and beyond.

Why would anyone be in favor of this after seeing how DLC has been abused thus far.
No no no. Not what I mean. Actually wait, yes that is what I mean except without your terribly negative spin. It's not like they'd be holding back content for DLC. I'm talking about something along the lines of the recent Fallout DLC - substantial editions, with possibly their own storyline.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BrunDeign said:
Crono1973 said:
BrunDeign said:

No no no. Not what I mean. Actually wait, yes that is what I mean except without your terribly negative spin. It's not like they'd be holding back content for DLC. I'm talking about something along the lines of the recent Fallout DLC - substantial editions, with possibly their own storyline.
What convinces you that they wouldn't hold back content? It's been going on for years on the other two consoles.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
Shortly after this announcement Nintendo followed up by highlighting their very first DLC for "Zelda: Skyward Sword": Epona armor!

HA, I kid.

vid87

May 17, 2010
"Free to play, pay for items" to me = copy Zynga's strategy where you can't progress in the game without "special gold coins" or whatever in-game currency buys the stuff you need.

Also, I'm wondering if this will potentially impact Nintendo's current model for game-making: are we going to be seeing a drop in the rate of new additions to first-party franchises (i.e. new Zelda titles would be farther apart?) I'm guessing ultimately no, but the potential is there.

That all said, I'd like to see challenge modes, maybe even new content for old titles on wii-shop.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Iwata also questioned the concept of free-to-play games, where you start playing the game for free and are charged for item purchases. He feels that this type of system would damage the premium value Nintendo's content.
Premimum Value?

Don't get me wrong, you've made some good games. But most of the stuff I saw for your systems are things I could get for $.99 on the app store.

Yeahhh, I won't be buying another Nintendo system any time soon. Even Pikmin 3 will not get me to buy your system.