Nintendo Lays To Rest Zelda Timeline Mystery

NattyMichael

Apr 1, 2009
the link in ocorina of time and majora's mask was the best. those games will be 2 of my favorites forever.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I had always believed in the split timeline theory, but in the back of my head, I had a feeling that there really was no timeline. No timeline can explain why Ganon comes back to life again and again and again and again.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Why is there even this desire to impose a structure on these games? Isn't the idea of there being a "legend retold again and again" kinda cool? I think that's a lot cooler than some convoluted crazy Lost shit.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
It seems like there was actually a timeline

In an interview conducted by Nintendo Dream with Eiji Aonuma in December 2006, it was revealed that there are two parallel universes in the Zelda chronology. The timeline is split at the end of Ocarina of Time, when Link is sent back in time by Princess Zelda to live through his childhood, while the original events of Ocarina of Time continue on a different path. Once returned to his original time, Link leaves the Master Sword in its place, preventing Ganondorf's plan from coming to fruition, and goes to see Zelda again, resulting in the "Child Timeline" in which the villain Ganondorf is arrested and tried by the ancient sages. They attempt to execute him, but he overpowers them, and the sages are instead forced to banish him to the Twilight Realm. Twilight Princess then occurs over one hundred years later, after Link's role as a child in the events of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Meanwhile, The Wind Waker occurs in the "Adult Timeline", after the Hero of Time saved Hyrule in Ocarina of Time, and it is directly followed by Phantom Hourglass.[5][6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_(series)#Chronology

Altherix said:
Call me crazy, me thinks Nintendo was thinking about getting a working timeline going then discovered how bloated and plot-hole filled it would be and just decided on, "There is no timeline!" solution.
Probably this^^^^

Or it could be my theory. Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma enjoy making fan boys cry. :)

thousandfaces

Mar 4, 2009
Most of the Zelda games i played were stand alone games for me, not including the others mentioned. Besides i dont think zelda needs a superior plot analysis, its not like silent hill, KOTOR or any other plot heavy games. Nintendo's main focus while making zelda games is gameplay.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Most of Histories greatest achievements in entertainment were entirely accidental.

Anytime you find something deep in writing and bring it up to the writer they will try to hide their surprise but it is painfully obvious.

Even J.K. Rowling looks like a deer in headlights when folks explain amazing consistencies and possible subplots that her stories contain.

It's not a bad thing but folks need to remember that one mind never outperforms six billion minds in creativity. Sure you could argue that Newton did but it was more like for people like him "Once one person thinks it up you can't really do it again because it is already there."

Gmano

Apr 3, 2009
IMO the only 2 that have a story connection are ocarina of time and majora's mask (because majora's mask includes memory screenshots of ocarina of time.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I personally prefer to believe that Nintendo doesn't want a timeline because it complicates telling the individual stories, and certainly didn't intend one, but that elements of each work happen to link (ha!) in a consistent and coherent way, as described in the video provided.

Essentially: No canonical timeline exists, but a stable, sensible fan-created timeline exists, which is good enough to use in further fanworks and is interesting for drawing ideas from.

I particularly like the connection between Ocarina and Twilight; the Hero of the Twilight is a descendant of the Hero of Time and Malon, explaining why Link starts off as a rancher in Twilight Princess. That's actually quite a clever conclusion to draw.

Although personally I'll always hold that the Link of "Link's Awakening" is the same as the Link of "A Link to the Past". It's the matching Gaiden game, insofar as I'm aware.

Jinoru

Jun 30, 2009
Alternet universes do make since considering Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass. oh well. It pretty much shatters my universe about making any sense of the connections between the games. :(

Mostly Harmless

Aug 11, 2008
I personally believed the same stuff that nintendo said. Each game is it own separate experience and should be treated as much.
Why not try and make a Mario time line while your at it.

RAMBO22

Jul 7, 2009
Personally, I find the response from Nintendo hilarious.

To think of all the people that have argued over this (no offense, I like Zelda myself) stupid subject for hours is hilarious to me.

I can see a Nintenerd reading Nintendo's response crying his heart out while doing his 207th playthrough of Ocarina of Time.

To some people, that's sad, to me (because I'm a bad person) I think it's one of the funniest things I've heard lately.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
HA! I knew it!

Actually, I once speculated that the stories were one and the same told in an oral tradition, and that each game's differences were people telling the story different. While not exactly true, I was closer than some :D

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Well, duh. The opening to Wind Waker makes a big point that this is not the same Link, and that the protagonist is wearing the green clothes because it's a tradition for boys who come of age in their villiage because (a) Link came before.

Just because you make up something based off of an existing story, even if it sounds better than the truth, does not make it true. (Fanfic writers are especially guilty of this.)

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
After watching the video, a lot of it really made no sense, but I did like the idea of Young Link warning Zelda as starting Twilight Princess.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Ugh, these people just will not give up, will they? Some of these people who run the Zelda storyline websites have dedicated years of their life over this, and it's spewing out all over other forums that could care less about whether this Link came before that Link.

There's even an article about it here [http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Legend_of_Zelda#The_Zelda_Timeline_is_Serious_Fucking_Business] (Warning, not safe for work) if you just want a brief rundown on just how bizarre and trivial this is.