Nintendo Lays To Rest Zelda Timeline Mystery

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
oh ffs, I can't believe there's already over 100 responses to this string about an end to speculation! I don't even want to get into arguing over the logic of arguing about something that's been argued pointlessly for more than a decade. The simple fact is that Link, Sonic, Mario, Samus, Lara Croft, and every single one of their supporting characters ARE DEAD. Or at least should be by their thirtieth sequel. ZP makes this argument better than I do, so go watch him some more and you'll get the gist of my pointless (and uncaring) rage.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Well the nintendo guy's statement makes a lot more sense, right? If the same Link had to rescue the same Goddam princess every couple of years and kill the same boss, wouldn't you think he would just you know, give up?

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Aww I liked that timeline actually. It made sense and gave me a sense of completion.

Multiple links and legends just makes it feel unfullfilling to me now for some reason

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ok there's speculation, and then there's being a whiny fanfic writer, and this guy has now joined the upper pantheon (or is that lower pantheon) of whiny fanfic writers along with yaoi fangirls.

So maybe Nintendo had an idea to have a timeline at one point, and maybe it didn't work out, so now they went with the "unless we say otherwise they're all different" theory. Which is fine. We know that Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina, and that Wind Waker is some sort of divergent-timeline sequel to Ocarina as well. That's fine, I don't need to think too hard about this, because really whether or not the games are interconnected never really affected my enjoyment of them. Yes theories are fine but when you start taking them too seriously it makes most semi-normal gamers who enjoy backstory look crazy. Especially when you petition. I didn't think it was possible for 2009 to have both a boycott based on pretentious self-entitlement and an internet petition based on more pretentious self-entitlement, but here we are.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
If it was the same Link every time he would eventually flee the land or kill himself so he wouldn't have to go through all of that adventure stuff again.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Sewblon said:
If it was the same Link every time he would eventually flee the land or kill himself so he wouldn't have to go through all of that adventure stuff again.
Like Mario does you mean? It's a different Mario every time!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Just let Zelda fucking die already. We need to save the industry from getting completely infected by the moneymilker virus.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Eh I didn't know people were making up timeline theory's I thought it was a different game each time :p

The Great Fa

May 25, 2008
Well, I've always loved perusing the various timeline theories (and yes, drafting up my own long-winded versions), but I find this announcement immensely satisfying.

If just about every game is a separate entity, it gives the whole franchise a sort of fairy-tale-with-different-interpretations structure which I think is pretty cool. It also reinforces the term "Legend", which they're so fond of using in the title.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I just have to say that it's a game. A game that's been around for almost 20 years. I've never thought about the continuity between them, it's just a damn game. Play it, enjoy it or not, don't look too far into it. This isn't Shakespeare or Dostoevsky we're talking about here, it's a videogame that's never pretended to be more.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
woem said:
Sewblon said:
Now that you mention it, that is weird, what does Mario even gain from rescuing peach?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Sewblon said:
woem said:
Sewblon said:
Now that you mention it, that is weird, what does Mario even gain from rescuing peach?
Well probably because he doesn't want the mushroom kingdom to lose the war against the koopas which they certainly would without their ruler.

Never knew about this Zelda timeline stuff I had always taken the Zelda series to be tales that are being told rather than actual historical events considering its heavy use of recurring themes and fairy tale nature.
I see the 3 main characters (Gannon, Link, Zelda) as being the representations of the triforce since it is central to every game which is why they appear in the different stories and worlds as they taken on the aspects of those characters without being dirrectly related

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Bleeh, what a cop-out. I always liked the idea that there was a grander scheme of things in the Zelda universe, apperantly Nintendo doesn't give a crap about that.

Golden Gryphon

Jun 10, 2009
I think the timeline theory is interesting but I find it hard to believe anybody actually thought that by working it out they had somehow tapped into Nintendo's master plan. It makes sense that Nintendo wouldn't want to be restricted by having to comb through every game to make sure there aren't any inconsistencies.

I'm also not surprised that they didn't seem to have watched it. They must get stuff like that all the time so why would they single this guy out for special attention? No matter how much time he spent on it or how worthy of their time he thought it was.

Trying to fit all of the zelda games into a timeline is a fun game for fans but that is all that it is.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
What people read into works and add themselves is often more important to them than the work itself or what the creator intended. I just wish that some of them would calm down when sharing their imaginings with us.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
While it would be epic to suddenly get a timeline which made perfect sense someday, I don't think that would be possible. The way I see it, The Legend of Zelda is like Wheel of Time. For those who haven't read those books:

Time is like a wheel, with seven spokes in the WoT, and each spoke is an age. Let's say that the first LoZ happened in age four. Each age is at least a couple of thousand years, and I guess they can be hella longer. So when age five comes around, the stories are still told of Link. In age six, things are getting murky. Did it really happen? When age four comes along yet again, the stories from the last time is but legends. Mostly forgotten, and all that is really remembered is a hero in green clothes.

Link is reincarnated each time this age comes, to battle Ganon. He is like The Dark One, someone who needs to be stopped by the forces of good. Of course, this doesn't really work, since it is not always Ganon who is the enemy. But things change with each turn of the Wheel, so why not?

I think this is the best way to explain it really. If it was all just a retelling of one legend, things wouldn't change so dramatically as they have. But if this is the same event, just in a different time, then it could work. This is going to be my view on it till they actually reveal a timeline, which I am sure they will someday anyway.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Macksheath said:
The only Link that runs in the same game is the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask one. All others are either copying/descendants the original.
Actually, I'm sure that Wind Waker/Phantom hourglass run together as the same link (long time since I've played, and forgot the details from the youtube video).

OT: Much as this guy's timeline makes sense, I don't like him. I'm not going to dubt that it's a erfectly workable timeline, I'm just happy that he got knocked down a peg. I agree with those who said about LoZ wbeing like a fairy-tale told from different angles. There's something about that idea that makes the games feel comfortable to play. Kind of hard to explain, but hope people get what I'm talking about :)