Nintendo May Return for Future E3 Press Conferences

Oct 2, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
R0B45 said:
To what purpose? They have nothing to show anymore.

Beffudled Sheep said:
I agree with you on this wholeheartedly. Marketing types and share holders make conferences pretty bad usually and I think Nintendo's move was a good one.
And completely off topic but since you are known around these here forums as an "enthusiastic" Nintendo fan could you recommend me any great games for the 3DS? I'll be buying one soon and I only have a couple games in my soon-to-be library right now but I know there are tons more good games for it out there.
Hallelujah! Another member joins the flock! Gather round brethren! Gather round sistren! For another lost soul has seen the light of salvation, and joined the beloved ranks of the 3DS faithful.

Ahem... right, well the 3DS library being in overdrive at the moment, you've got your different levels of 'great' titles. You've got your surefire no-nonsense must-have titles, your more quirky must-have titles, and your niche games which you'll either love or hate.

In terms of no-nonsense must haves:

Super Mario 3D Land- yes, it's another Mario game. It's also the best selling game on 3DS, and for good reason. The first half is a bit easy by Mario standards, but the second half more than makes up for it.

Mario Kart 7- it's Mario Kart. And a damn good entry in the series, though 8 looks to be topping it in every regard.

Fire Emblem Awakening- if you're into SRPGs you'll be in heaven. If you're not into SRPGs, this game will get you into them.

Luigi's Mansion 2- just get it. Games this quirky are a rare thing indeed.

Animal Crossing new Leaf- it's like crack. Only without the negative physical withdrawal symptoms.

Quirkier games which are still incredible:

Etrian Odyssey IV- first-person dungeon crawler. Well worth checking out if you're into JRPGs.

SMTIV isn't out yet, but it's coming soon, and if you're into JRPGs looks to be a game well worth investing your time into.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate- the controls aren't as fluid as the Wii U version, and the visuals certainly aren't as swanky, but this version comes with the advantage of being on a system you already own. Whatever time Animal Crossing doesn't eat into, this game will devour.

Niche games:

Nano Assault- if you're into shmups at all, this is a very novel and 'hardcore' entry into the genre from Shin'en.

Pushmo/Crashmo- puzzle games from Intelligent Software. Very well put together.

Harmo Knight- very cute rhythm game from Game Freak, who made it in their off-time from Pokemon. Simple, easy to get into, but huge fun nonetheless.

That's just a few games off the top of my head. I'm sure other people can chip in with other games. And the 3DS has still got a monster release schedule for the rest of the year, including Dream Team, MH4, motherfrakin' Pokemon X and Y, Bravely Default... you've picked a good system. You're not going to be wanting for games anytime soon.
Thank you sir! Those are all games that I'd be interested in!
I already planned on picking up the New Pokemon and the new Zelda and these other games will be sure to eat the rest of my free time :)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I second the Luigis Mansion 2 motion.

It's wonderfully quirky and extremely unique. The gameplay is mostly puzzle based and a lot of the fun is from exploring and discovery. Find secrets, piles of cash, hidden collectibles and hutning down those pesky pesky Boos!

It's a wonderful title with extraordinary attention to detail. From Luigi humming to the background music to the exquisite animation (including all the tiny things like idle animations, the way he beckons toads to follow through a door, the way he kicks a rolled up carpet flat, the way he falls when you suck a rug up underneath him) to the amazing detail.

It's easily one of the finest games on the 3DS and at this point it's easily my favourite.

Buy it now, play it with the lights off and headphones in, you'll love it if you have any soul left :D

Oct 2, 2012
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

It's wonderfully quirky and extremely unique. The gameplay is mostly puzzle based and a lot of the fun is from exploring and discovery. Find secrets, piles of cash, hidden collectibles and hutning down those pesky pesky Boos!

It's a wonderful title with extraordinary attention to detail. From Luigi humming to the background music to the exquisite animation (including all the tiny things like idle animations, the way he beckons toads to follow through a door, the way he kicks a rolled up carpet flat, the way he falls when you suck a rug up underneath him) to the amazing detail.

It's easily one of the finest games on the 3DS and at this point it's easily my favourite.

Buy it now, play it with the lights off and headphones in, you'll love it if you have any soul left :D
I loved the first one and have heard nothing but good things about the second.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

You heard right, it's a huge improvement over the first too, it controls so muh more smoothly. The delays were well worth it.

Also the box glows in the dark.

Oct 2, 2012
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

You heard right, it's a huge improvement over the first too, it controls so muh more smoothly. The delays were well worth it.

It glows in the dark? What!?
Thats awesome!
Well now I have to get it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Beffudled Sheep said:
I agree with you on this wholeheartedly. Marketing types and share holders make conferences pretty bad usually and I think Nintendo's move was a good one.
And completely off topic but since you are known around these here forums as an "enthusiastic" Nintendo fan could you recommend me any great games for the 3DS? I'll be buying one soon and I only have a couple games in my soon-to-be library right now but I know there are tons more good games for it out there.
Another recommendation

Kid Icarus: Uprising - It takes a bit to get used to the controls, but after that you'll have one of the most unique and fun experiences on the system. Also, grade-A humor.

Titles to keep an eye on:

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Project X Zone

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

Thats awesome!
Hell yeah it does!

I also should add a sly recommendation for Shinobi, as it's a pretty unrelenting old-school action platformer and one that's really very good and often overlooked.

And as another gentlemen said, keep an eye on Mario & Luigi Dream Team, that's likely to be a fantastic title.

Did you have a DS beforehand? Because if not then the recommended games that carry over from DS is a pretty huge list to behold.

Oct 2, 2012
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

I loved the first one and have heard nothing but good things about the second.[/quote

Thats awesome!
Hell yeah it does!

I also should add a sly recommendation for Shinobi, as it's a pretty unrelenting old-school action platformer and one that's really very good and often overlooked.

And as another gentlemen said, keep an eye on Mario & Luigi Dream Team, that's likely to be a fantastic title.

Did you have a DS beforehand? Because if not then the recommended games that carry over from DS is a pretty huge list to behold.
]Is it in a similar vein to the 2002 Shinobi title for the PS2?
If so then its mine.
I effed up the quote.
And no I didn't have a DS. I gave up on mobile gaming in favor for more console gaming, and I got a PSPS (that broke) instead of a DS.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

I loved the first one and have heard nothing but good things about the second.[/quote

Thats awesome!
Hell yeah it does!

If so then its mine.
I effed up the quote.
And no I didn't have a DS. I gave up on mobile gaming in favor for more console gaming, and I got a PSPS (that broke) instead of a DS.
Don't worry, I fuck up quotes all the time. Spoilers too.

Ummm, not sure as I've not played the PS2 title, it's a bit like the old 2D games but a bit faster and more dynamic. It's really very good and you can have it for like £5 easily.

Hmmm DS recommendations incoming:

The World Ends With You
Final Fantasy III
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Sonic Rush
Chrono Trigger
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, also Bowsers Inside Story (very unique action RPG's, look em up)
Pokemon Conquest
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Platinum
New Super Mario Bros.

There's a tonne more but those are the ones on the shelf in front of me that come recommended.

Oh and New Super Mario Bros 2 is a bit formulaic but it's ultimately an extremely fun and satisfying platformer with a lot of Nintendo polish.

Oct 2, 2012
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
SkarKrow said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

Thats awesome!
Hell yeah it does!

If so then its mine.
I effed up the quote.
Don't worry, I fuck up quotes all the time. Spoilers too.

Ummm, not sure as I've not played the PS2 title, it's a bit like the old 2D games but a bit faster and more dynamic. It's really very good and you can have it for like £5 easily.

Hmmm DS recommendations incoming:

The World Ends With You
Final Fantasy III
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Sonic Rush
Chrono Trigger
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, also Bowsers Inside Story (very unique action RPG's, look em up)
Pokemon Conquest
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Platinum
New Super Mario Bros.

There's a tonne more but those are the ones on the shelf in front of me that come recommended.

Oh and New Super Mario Bros 2 is a bit formulaic but it's ultimately an extremely fun and satisfying platformer with a lot of Nintendo polish.
:O
I better start saving up for all these games.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Aiddon said:
*Spit Take* WHAAAAAT!?! The fifth Phoenix Wright is coming here? Please tell me you're not joking because I LOVE that series and was so angry when Investigations 2 wasn't released here. Oh HAPPY DAY!

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
xaszatm said:
Aiddon said:
*Spit Take* WHAAAAAT!?! The fifth Phoenix Wright is coming here? Please tell me you're not joking because I LOVE that series and was so angry when Investigations 2 wasn't released here. Oh HAPPY DAY!
According to Wikipedia, it's due fall of this year.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Hallelujah! Another member joins the flock! Gather round brethren! Gather round sistren! For another lost soul has seen the light of salvation, and joined the beloved ranks of the 3DS faithful.

Ahem... right, well the 3DS library being in overdrive at the moment, you've got your different levels of 'great' titles. You've got your surefire no-nonsense must-have titles, your more quirky must-have titles, and your niche games which you'll either love or hate.

In terms of no-nonsense must haves:

Super Mario 3D Land- yes, it's another Mario game. It's also the best selling game on 3DS, and for good reason. The first half is a bit easy by Mario standards, but the second half more than makes up for it.

Mario Kart 7- it's Mario Kart. And a damn good entry in the series, though 8 looks to be topping it in every regard.

Fire Emblem Awakening- if you're into SRPGs you'll be in heaven. If you're not into SRPGs, this game will get you into them.

Animal Crossing new Leaf- it's like crack. Only without the negative physical withdrawal symptoms.

Quirkier games which are still incredible:

Etrian Odyssey IV- first-person dungeon crawler. Well worth checking out if you're into JRPGs.

SMTIV isn't out yet, but it's coming soon, and if you're into JRPGs looks to be a game well worth investing your time into.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate- the controls aren't as fluid as the Wii U version, and the visuals certainly aren't as swanky, but this version comes with the advantage of being on a system you already own. Whatever time Animal Crossing doesn't eat into, this game will devour.

Niche games:

Nano Assault- if you're into shmups at all, this is a very novel and 'hardcore' entry into the genre from Shin'en.

Pushmo/Crashmo- puzzle games from Intelligent Software. Very well put together.

Harmo Knight- very cute rhythm game from Game Freak, who made it in their off-time from Pokemon. Simple, easy to get into, but huge fun nonetheless.

That's just a few games off the top of my head. I'm sure other people can chip in with other games. And the 3DS has still got a monster release schedule for the rest of the year, including Dream Team, MH4, motherfrakin' Pokemon X and Y, Bravely Default... you've picked a good system. You're not going to be wanting for games anytime soon.
No love for Kingdom Hearts 3D or the Shin Megami Tensei spin offs; Devil Survivors 1 & 2?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
Aiddon said:
It'll be out this fall as an eShop download. Yes, I know some will complain about an eShop release instead of a retail one, but it's coming out and that's what matters most.

Beffudled Sheep said:
I better start saving up for all these games.
Perhaps, but you'll definitely get your money's worth. And this is even before the Virtual Console games like the Game Boy Zelda games

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Aiddon said:
DTWolfwood said:
In terms of not holding a conference, they have conceded in the "Console Wars." Nintendo is a toy brand :p
Uh, that's because games ARE toys. Some are M-rated and some have engrossing plots, but they're toys nonetheless.
Well its this line of thinking that the right wing folks use against us when it comes to violence and "videogames corrupting the youth." When a good deal of games aren't made for children. "Toys" seems to inherently imply something for children.

I agree to some extent that they are, but they are also an artistic medium to others. Just saying.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Aiddon said:
DTWolfwood said:
In terms of not holding a conference, they have conceded in the "Console Wars." Nintendo is a toy brand :p
Uh, that's because games ARE toys. Some are M-rated and some have engrossing plots, but they're toys nonetheless.
I guess you could say they're... Adult toys?

DTWolfwood said:
Well its this line of thinking that the right wing folks use against us when it comes to violence and "videogames corrupting the youth." When a good deal of games aren't made for children. "Toys" seems to inherently imply something for children.

I agree to some extent that they are, but they are also an artistic medium to others. Just saying.
No it really doesn't. 'Toy' does not imply that anything is for children anymore than 'comic book' would. Even if it did, what would that mean, exactly? And anyway, are you saying that Ninty has conceded because they're game announcements didn't make us sit on our asses for an hour and a half? Because that's basically what the direct was. The good parts of a conference, condensed into 40 minutes. And while they may 'reuse' the same IPs over and over, that doesn't make it 'rehashing' if they actually change things within the game. I would even argue that there is a much bigger difference with all the Zelda games than there has ever been with the God of Wars or Gears of Wars, using the same basic story frame to explore different ideas, changing the details with every new iteration.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
suntt123 said:
Aiddon said:
DTWolfwood said:
I guess you could say they're... Adult toys?

DTWolfwood said:

No it really doesn't. 'Toy' does not imply that anything is for children anymore than 'comic book' would. Even if it did, what would that mean, exactly? And anyway, are you saying that Ninty has conceded because they're game announcements didn't make us sit on our asses for an hour and a half? Because that's basically what the direct was. The good parts of a conference, condensed into 40 minutes. And while they may 'reuse' the same IPs over and over, that doesn't make it 'rehashing' if they actually change things within the game. I would even argue that there is a much bigger difference with all the Zelda games than there has ever been with the God of Wars or Gears of Wars, using the same basic story frame to explore different ideas, changing the details with every new iteration.
To you and I "toy" doesn't mean for children, but apparently it does to all the old people who didn't grow up using digital media. Same can be said of Comic Books lol.

So far the only good argument for Nintendo's constant iteration of the same franchises is that they are the only ones making those kinds of games. To that I say is true. They are very good at satisfying a particular niche. Everything else about how they make "new" games isn't very convincing.

I believe they are conceding in the console battle from the fact third party games do not get ported to or gets developed for the WiiU. Every game on the WiiU is exclusive to them. If that isn't nintendo doing their own thing, i can't convince you otherwise.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
DTWolfwood said:
I believe they are conceding in the console battle from the fact third party games do not get ported to or gets developed for the WiiU. Every game on the WiiU is exclusive to them. If that isn't nintendo doing their own thing, i can't convince you otherwise.
Fair enough, though their entire launch lineup was third party ports.