Nintendo May Return for Future E3 Press Conferences

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Nintendo May Return for Future E3 Press Conferences

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime says Nintendo conferences aren't "dead."

Nintendo made an arguably bold move this year, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123519-Nintendo-Ditches-its-E3-Press-Conference>forgoing its traditional E3 press conference and instead offering smaller presentations and reveals via other avenues. It was an understandable move in many ways. E3 press conferences aren't on the cheaper end of the shindig scale and recent years have seen several of Nintendo's conference offerings <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/14/why-nintendo-lost-e3-2012>fall flat among critics and viewers. All of this said, Nintendo might not be ready to fully quit the conference game just yet.

According to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, the future could hold future press conferences from Nintendo. "Next year and what we do at E3 next year is going to be an ongoing conversation," said Fils-Aime. "What we are not saying as a result of this year is that the Nintendo press conference is dead." According to Fils-Aime, this year's decision to skip E3 was a result of Nintendo's software lineup and increasing use of Nintendo Direct. "Nintendo Direct is very powerful for us and we are going to continue to utilize Nintendo Direct to drive engagement with our user."

The prospect of future Nintendo press conferences is likely to excite some, especially those who enjoy the more competitive "who won" aspects of E3. That said, if there are more effective methods the company can use to get its message out year round, it begs the question of why it would bother returning to traditional press conferences in the future.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/4429168/nintendos-e3-press-conference-absence-was-a-one-off-publisher-says>Polygon

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
I liked the Directs better though :/ The best part of these conferences are the games and Directs are just that.I Didn't have to sit through any boring presentations, just got straight to the games and moved on. I hope they just stick to that. The Sony and MS press conferences this year were more than 1 and a half hours long as opposed to about 40 mins of Nintendo. -_-

Anyway, this was a good idea, hope Sony and MS do something like that instead too. Just give us a quick presentation on the games, getting to the point immediately. That way I don't end up just skipping the presentation and Googling the summary afterwards. Plus, it's probably cheaper to pull off, so there's that too.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I always wondered why companies spent millions of dollars to have these super flashy events which ultimately are identical to the information released through the web.

E3 is a 'high visibility' moment and it 'builds hype,' but what Nintendo is doing with Direct and the nation wide demo stations seem to be so much more efficient about all that. Nintendo having a large presentation would have added 0% extra of anything to their presence or profits.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I am amazed that nintendo year after year can release the same games over and over again and no1 gets angry at them. But mention Call of Duty or announce a game that looks like it and everyone shits on everything.

How do they get away with rehashing the same ip's and everyone loves them for it? o_O

All i saw from that direct feed was, here are the same games you've played before but they have new names.

Don't get me wrong, i don't mind sequels, but in all fairness shouldn't we expect something new from them too?

In terms of not holding a conference, they have conceded in the "Console Wars." Nintendo is a toy brand :p

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
I am amazed that nintendo year after year can release the same games over and over again and no1 gets angry at them. But mention Call of Duty or announce a game that looks like it and everyone shits on everything.

How do they get away with rehashing the same ip's and everyone loves them for it? o_O

All i saw from that direct feed was, here are the same games you've played before but they have new names.

Don't get me wrong, i don't mind sequels, but in all fairness shouldn't we expect something new from them too?

In terms of not holding a conference, they have conceded in the "Console Wars." Nintendo is a toy brand :p
Because Nintendo is one of the few only one focusing on platformers, action/adventure games who focus more on adventure than action, and random genre games like wonderful 101 and Pikmin. We would all be sick of Nintendo if Sony and Microsoft where targeting the same genre, but they aren't. They are still focusing on realistic shooters of some kind or shooters in general. Either military or sci-fi or mix of both.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Negatempest said:
DTWolfwood said:

Because Nintendo is one of the few only one focusing on platformers, action/adventure games who focus more on adventure than action, and random genre games like wonderful 101 and Pikmin. We would all be sick of Nintendo if Sony and Microsoft where targeting the same genre, but they aren't. They are still focusing on realistic shooters of some kind or shooters in general. Either military or sci-fi or mix of both.
I think it also comes down to 2 things:
1. They don't release new big title IPs every year. You get maybe one or two big 3D Mario games/ new Zelda games a generation

Mario 64 for the N64- 1997(?)
Sunshine for the GC- 2002
and
Galaxies 1 & 2 for the Wii 2007 & 2010

They're spaced far enough a part that by the time a new one comes out it's been a while since the last so you do want it.

and

2. It maybe the same IP but it certainly FEELS different.

Zelda games for example:
Skyward Sword focused on 1:1 sword play in a bright, colorful world, Twilight Princess was a more gloomy take on the franchise taking place in the familiar Hyrule setting, and Wind Waker was a light hearted adventure on the open seas.

They find something new to throw in there to keep it from feeling stale and they're spaced so far a part that the demand for them is there. Also, there aren't a lot of similar platformers or adventure games so if you want one your choices are fairly limited. So their market is whatever the opposite of over saturated is XD. These two keep the games from feeling samey (though they basically ARE) and make each new iteration feel different enough from the older ones to make the purchase feel more justifiable. They do try new things, just not a lot all at once.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I actually didn't mind the Nintendo Direct thing, although I must admit it lacked the "pizazz" of the other conferences.

One thing I would like to see more of, from all the companies at E3, is interactivity with products outside of E3, with Nintendo doing it this year with the whole "you can play our games at Best Buy" deal.

However, I think you could easily go further with this. Don't just have them available at stores, but for any games with gameplay, let people download that alpha/beta/demo at home. You would get your product that you are trying to hype out to so many more people. There's no way I could've gone to E3 this year but I'd have loved to be able to download that 3 stage Sonic: Lost World demo to give it a go.

You could even just have it time based for E3, or maybe a day or so after. Honestly, I don't see a downside, so long as your demo is good which, if you're taking it to E3 to show people, it should be.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah I typically don't watch E3 presentations, just go for the cliff notes, but I really liked the Nintendo Direct thing.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Between the Nintendo Direct and the Developer Directs I think Nintendo did very well. They were able to focus heavily on their games and less on flogging Reggie. The main thing that allowed Sony to "win" was the Used Game policy that MS was begging to be set on fire with. Nintendo couldn't have taken advantage of that because everyone is already fully aware of their policy since the WiiU is already out.

The MegaMan announcement is the only thing that could have been pulled off better with the conference, and I don't know how much "better" that really could have been.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Negatempest said:
DTWolfwood said:

Nintendo focusing on platformers is no excuse for the repetitive ideas over the years. And to be frank, at least Sony has the console JRPG market heavily attached to it along with its actions titles, so your broad stroke generalization falls flat there. And I'm saying this as a PC Gamer.

Pikmin is a niche franchise so I don't think Pikmin 3 is going to be the savior that everyone is making it out to be. And the Wonderful 101 still has no release date, so their's still no reason to care for it. It also hasn't been heard from in a long damn time.

That and the franchises people do want to see sequels to, Nintendo won't budge on. Like how long do people have to wait for a console Starfox title? Or another 3D Donkey Kong game? A game in the vein of Warioworld for Wario? A Kirby game that isn't in a Yarn based environment? An F-Zero game?

I think what people are sick of seeing is Nintendo constantly doing a back and forth between Mario+Spin offs and Legend of Zelda.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I wager they just see it as an inexcusable cost to justify to their shareholders and employees. This is the same company which Iwata halved his own pay because they didn't hit their sales figures.

How could you justify layoffs if you're also spending likely hundreds of thousands, if not upwards of 1 million USD to have a big flash stage show, fly everyone there, accommodations, etc? Simply put, these things are expensive and Nintendo is not doing well financially. In contrast, Iwata took a camera to an empty room, filmed everything either himself or with a cameraman and then got likely one or two people to just edit it with trailers they have ready.

Don't waste money when you don't have money to waste. Seems practical to me.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
AzrealMaximillion said:
Nintendo focusing on platformers is no excuse for the repetitive ideas over the years. And to be frank, at least Sony has the console JRPG market heavily attached to it along with its actions titles, so your broad stroke generalization falls flat there. And I'm saying this as a PC Gamer.
Sony and MS aren't exactly free of repetitiveness either. The 2 are basically kill X, shoot Y while Nintendo is rescue Princess from Z. The difference is, Nintendo is the only one who still does that. Sony may have KH3, FFs and possibly other JRPGs but Ninty has Monster Hunter and SMT4 for 3rd party (ATM) AND Pokemon, Mario and Luigi, and X2 as first party, so no dice there. Also, two of those were POKEMON AND MONSTER HUNTER. THOSE ARE HUGE IN JAPAN. Pretty big here too.

Pikmin is a niche franchise so I don't think Pikmin 3 is going to be the savior that everyone is making it out to be. And the Wonderful 101 still has no release date, so their's still no reason to care for it. It also hasn't been heard from in a long damn time.
Yes it does. September 15. And they talked about it in the Direct.... Yesterday... There was a new trailer and everything too...

That and the franchises people do want to see sequels to, Nintendo won't budge on. Like how long do people have to wait for a console Starfox title? Or another 3D Donkey Kong game? A game in the vein of Warioworld for Wario? A Kirby game that isn't in a Yarn based environment? An F-Zero game?

I think what people are sick of seeing is Nintendo constantly doing a back and forth between Mario+Spin offs and Legend of Zelda.
Fair enough, though I doubt people are sick of them. They're spaced so far apart the demand is usually there by the time a new iteration is made. The last Mario & Luigi game was released in 2009.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Honestly, I'm glad that they are going this route.
Nintendo has always been the middle man at E3. We know they are there, but we just don't care.
And quite frankly these conventions have increasingly become a dick slap fight between Microsoft and Sony anyway.
What surprises me is that Nintendo is the one that started this method in the first place. They still have a fat bank, and they can afford to go all out on a couple of these conferences.
Microsoft however is the one that needs to do this. Honestly, the fact that up until recently they actually started making a profit on their gaming consoles(and the future of Xbone not looking too bright) anything that keeps them from spending a shit ton of money should be on their priority list.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
DTWolfwood said:

<youtube=APWTJMyM4qg&feature=player_embedded>

<youtube=4dFfVBdRWmw>

<youtube=z9ueBmNNGus>

Looks like proper games to me.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
It would probably cost a lot to setup an E3 conference, a lot to rent out etc for it.

They didn't have as much to show as others, so this probably worked out best for them this time. When they have some real big stuff to show, they will be back.

Not saying next Smash Bros or anything aren't big, they just didn't have enough big things to make the cost worth it I would imagine.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Uh, that's because games ARE toys. Some are M-rated and some have engrossing plots, but they're toys nonetheless.

AC10 said:
I wager they just see it as an inexcusable cost to justify to their shareholders and employees. This is the same company which Iwata halved his own pay because they didn't hit their sales figures.

How could you justify layoffs if you're also spending likely hundreds of thousands, if not upwards of 1 million USD to have a big flash stage show, fly everyone there, accommodations, etc? Simply put, these things are expensive and Nintendo is not doing well financially. In contrast, Iwata took a camera to an empty room, filmed everything either himself or with a cameraman and then got likely one or two people to just edit it with trailers they have ready.

Don't waste money when you don't have money to waste. Seems practical to me.
Untrue; they're still profitable and their gigantic war chest hasn't even been scratched. Iwata did the pay cut more as a gesture than anything. They had other reasons for forgoing an E3 presser.

Dragonbums said:
Honestly, I'm glad that they are going this route.
Nintendo has always been the middle man at E3. We know they are there, but we just don't care.
And quite frankly these conventions have increasingly become a dick slap fight between Microsoft and Sony anyway.
What surprises me is that Nintendo is the one that started this method in the first place. They still have a fat bank, and they can afford to go all out on a couple of these conferences.
Microsoft however is the one that needs to do this. Honestly, the fact that up until recently they actually started making a profit on their gaming consoles(and the future of Xbone not looking too bright) anything that keeps them from spending a shit ton of money should be on their priority list.
Yeah, it seems like they are sick and tired of E3 being reduced to a dick-measuring contest between two insecure frat boys while Nintendo is using it to promote GAMES. Sure the Direct wasn't as theatrical as Sony and MS' pressers, but it didn't need to be. They let the games speak for themselves, not using stupid CG trailers, or letting drama determine how the audience felt. Their Direct has hit 1 million views on Youtube, so it was quite successful. I'd rather they keep doing Directs and show games at THEIR choosing instead of letting E3 dictate things.