Nintendo Misses Profits Forecast By 50 Percent

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Nintendo actually made profit in a year with a new console with a crap library. They didn't meet their imaginary profit goal oh noes. I'm calling it now 2014 is going to be crazy profitable for Nintendo.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Nouw said:
I'm finding it hard to blame Nintendo for lack of game releases when it's Ubisoft and SEGA that gave them the short straw.
Ubisoft, Sega, EA, and the loads of other publishers who halfass their own efforts on the damn thing. Honestly I can't really blame Nintendo for the lack of games when in fact it's 3rd parties who are being lazy and not releasing product for it. The most I can blame Nintendo is for playing nice and giving 3rd parties a window when they should have said "screw you, if you're insecure about competing a new Mario, Zelda, Pikmin or whatever then that's YOUR problem. We'll release our games when we want to."

anyway, I'm actually surprised Nintendo made a profit; usually launch years for consoles tend to generate overall loss but if they've managed a profit then they're doing fine. Furthermore they're also having a new building constructed which also leads to a lot of money being burnt. More than likely they'll pull healthier numbers in the coming year what with key franchises like Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda being released. I can't see them being threatened by the launches of either the PS4 OR the NextBox (if it does come out this year) because as history has taught that console launches don't really pull in big numbers. I also expect the PS4 and NextBox to be priced higher than the Wii U which will deter customers.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
AdamG3691 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
AdamG3691 said:
people complaining about not enough games still?

I've played on monster hunter for 150 hours and still only got to the G rank stuff
that game ALONE has made the console worth buying, did the PS3 have a game that was worth playing for that long this time after release. (£2 per hour roughly, a movie costs £4.50 per hour, so cost/time the WiiU has beaten buying a ton of movies)

plus, there's a smash bros confirmed for the WiiU, pikmin 3 later this year, and a HD remake of LoZ:WW

people's main argument of "there's no games yet" is just plain wrong, what they really mean is "there's no games yet that I want"

I've got:
MH3U
batman arkham city
AC3
nintendo land
super mario bros U
a few of the virtual console games
and MY ENTIRE WII LIBRARY (and soon, the entire virtual console library too)

and people still say that there isn't enough to justify buying it?
Monster Hunter is a very niche game and you know it.
Batman and AC3 are both late ports that people bought on other consoles.
NintendoLand is a mini game comp
Super Mario Bros U is just New Super Mario Bros with Wii U features.
Virtual Console games are just re-releases
And the Wii Library wasn't full of a lot of gems either.

There are not enough Wii U exclusive games to justify a Wii U right now and no gimmick to fall back on.
it's a niche game that boosted the sales of wiiU consoles by 25% in the UK
fine, they're ports, does that make them "not games"? I didn't get batman for my PS3, PC, or Xbox, to me it was a new game that I enjoyed.

nintendo land may have been a minigame collection, but once again, does that stop it from being a game?

and once again for NSMBU and the VC, how are they not games?

you've given a list of reasons why those games may not be great selling points, but the point is THEY'RE STILL GAMES, people are complaining that there aren't enough games, but what theyre really complaining is that there aren't enough games that fit their specific likes and dislikes and all other games outside that group may as well not matter, if I took that stance, I'd say that the XBox hasn't got enough games because I don't like FPSes

I wonder how many people will be defending the PS4 when people say it hasn't got any games and is too expensive to justfy buying? (hi PS3 launch :D)
MHU is still a pretty niche game, and though it boosted the sales of the WiiU in the UK by 25%, it still sold like crap overall. Selling better in one region doesn't mean much. Especially with what the OP states about Nintendo missing its forcast by %50 overall.

As to my point with the ports, no one buys consoles for ports. They buy them for exclusives. Why would people go out of their way to buy a game that they either A) already own on another console or B) was done better on other consoles. Using ported games as a reason to buy a console is silly. No one buys console for games they can get for consoles they own.

Nintendo Land being one of the major games on the WiiU as a minigame compilation is pathetic. Fun as it may be, if full games on the console can't compete with it, that presents a problem for the WiiU. Why buy a console for a compilation of games that will get boring relatively quickly. The fact that the massive amounts of mini game compilations that plagued the Wii left a bad taste in people's mouths, makes games like Nintendo Land look a lot less appealing.

New Super Mario Bros U, while yes it is a game, its not a system seller. It's New Super Mario with WiiU gimmicks. It's a sequel to a Mario Spin off that was born on the DS.

The WiiU has a lack of games to call its own. That can't be argued. It has very few games that are unique to it. It has next to no noteworthy games. Rayman Legends is no longer an exclusive so there's no reason to buy a WiiU on that front.

Padding the WiiU catalog with Virtual Console is a cheap attempt at making the WiiU seem like it has a decent selection, nothing more. They bring nothing new to the WiiU other than giving people who haven't played those games a chance to play them. This in itself is diminished by the fact that Nintendo re-releases a lot of those games very often.

You say that people are complaining that because there are not enough games that fit their likes. How is that not a fault of the WiiU? People can look at the other consoles that are out and find games that they like, why can't they do that with the WiiU? Lack of games. Even the PS4 looks to be releasing exclusive games with a range of tastes. Your strawman comparison is sad because there are more than a lot of games that aren't FPSs on the Xbox 360 that are pretty good. I don't even own a 360 and I can tell you that. Your complaints sound like more of a Nintendo fan going through buyer's remorse.

For the purpose of reasons to buy a console, the WiiU's library isn't one that can be used for that argument very well. Most of the games you listed are ports, so instead of buying a console for those games, people are more than likely going to buy those games on the consoles they own.

you've given a list of reasons why those games may not be great selling points, but the point is THEY'RE STILL GAMES
The WiiU also came out with no release from any of Nintendo's big franchises. There are games on the WiiU, but even they are few in number, and not very noteworthy outside of Monster Hunter. Compared to even the Wii's launch, the WiiU's launch is abysmal. The Wii came out with a few big titles at launch.

I wonder how many people will be defending the PS4 when people say it hasn't got any games and is too expensive to justfy buying? (hi PS3 launch :D)
Honestly, probably not much. People are generally not too excited about the upcoming generation of gaming. What makes your point even more sad, besides your fanboy antics, it that it took the PS3 having a high launch price to sell as slowly as it did along with a lack of games. The WiiU doesn't even have the high price excuse to fall back on. It just has a bad selection of games. And a gimmick that has already been ditched. The PS3 went to outsell the 360. The WiiU remains to show that it can compete with upcoming consoles. We'll see how it fairs this holiday season, but for right now, it doesn't present itself in a way that deserves $250 of anyone's money.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Hopefully Sony is paying attention and we don't get a repeat of the 'PS3 has no games mene', I highly doubt that's going fo happen, because it would be sensible to me. And as history has proven a logical idea doesn't last long in an e xecutive meeting full of suits.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aiddon said:
Ubisoft, Sega, EA, and the loads of other publishers who halfass their own efforts on the damn thing. Honestly I can't really blame Nintendo for the lack of games when in fact it's 3rd parties who are being lazy and not releasing product for it. The most I can blame Nintendo is for playing nice and giving 3rd parties a window when they should have said "screw you, if you're insecure about competing a new Mario, Zelda, Pikmin or whatever then that's YOUR problem. We'll release our games when we want to."
Nouw said:
I'm finding it hard to blame Nintendo for lack of game releases when it's Ubisoft and SEGA that gave them the short straw.
I have to disagree with both of you. Nintendo took a mighty big dump on the 3rd party with the Wii. Sega especially Quality 3rd party games were coming out consistently for the bit of the Wii's life span, next to none hit off with good sales. Nintendo was too busy marketing games for the whole family when the games for dedicated gamers needed help. Now that the WiiU is selling so poorly, 3rd party developers can't find it in them to make an exclusive title for it because poor sales are bound to happen. Only dedicated Nintendo fans bought the WiiU it seems.

And I find it kind of silly to throw Ubisoft under the bus in both of your comments when Ubisoft gave Nintendo its only launch title with ZombiU. Wasn't the best, but it was there to showcase the gamepad and Ubisoft gave it a fair shot.

And to be fair, Sega cancelled the WiiU version of Aliens Colonial Marines because it was a garbage title waiting to lose money.

This seems more like complaining about not having Rayman Legends as an exclusive and Sega cancelling a bad game rather than an argument that the 3rd party devs wrecked the WiiU. Truth is, this is what goes around comes around. Metal Gear Solid 3 is out on the 3DS and the 3DS still sold like crap. Its not the 3rd Party guys. Its Nintendo not making appealing consoles and handhelds anymore.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
I have to disagree with both of you. Nintendo took a mighty big dump on the 3rd party with the Wii. Sega especially Quality 3rd party games were coming out consistently for the bit of the Wii's life span, next to none hit off with good sales. Nintendo was too busy marketing games for the whole family when the games for dedicated gamers needed help. Now that the WiiU is selling so poorly, 3rd party developers can't find it in them to make an exclusive title for it because poor sales are bound to happen. Only dedicated Nintendo fans bought the WiiU it seems.

And I find it kind of silly to throw Ubisoft under the bus in both of your comments when Ubisoft gave Nintendo its only launch title with ZombiU. Wasn't the best, but it was there to showcase the gamepad and Ubisoft gave it a fair shot.

And to be fair, Sega cancelled the WiiU version of Aliens Colonial Marines because it was a garbage title waiting to lose money.

This seems more like complaining about not having Rayman Legends as an exclusive and Sega cancelling a bad game rather than an argument that the 3rd party devs wrecked the WiiU. Truth is, this is what goes around comes around. Metal Gear Solid 3 is out on the 3DS and the 3DS still sold like crap. Its not the 3rd Party guys. Its Nintendo not making appealing consoles and handhelds anymore.
Hmmm I wasn't aware that, thanks. It does give me a better understanding of the situation. I will think on it further ^_^.