Nintendo NX Launching in March 2017, Legend of Zelda Delayed

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo NX Launching in March 2017, Legend of Zelda Delayed

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1316/1316862.jpgNintendo has announced that they'll be launching their newest platform, the NX, in March of next year.

While reporting their latest financials yesterday, Nintendo revealed that the oft-discussed NX platform will be released in March of 2017. "For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed 'NX' with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally," the company said.

There have been a number of rumors around the NX, from mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166983-NX-Controller-Images-Leak]," may be closer to reality than we thought.

In the same investor call, Nintendo referred to the NX as "a brand new concept," and said, "For the purpose of maximizing the population that interacts with Nintendo IP, we have entered into the smart device gaming business." That would certainly seem to support the rumored "mobile unit."

Finally, they announced that the new Legend of Zelda title had been pushed back to 2017, when it will launch simultaneously on NX and Wii U. It will also be the focus of their E3 this year, as Nintendo UK tweeted [https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/725224510694240256].

It's nice to finally have a little clarity on Nintendo's plans, and it's good news for Wii U owners that even though the new Zelda is a launch title, they'll still be able to play it on the machine they already own.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
So... what exactly is it? I still don't understand. I mean i try to keep up with gaming news and i have no idea what it is, imagine people who don't read gaming news at all.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
So they've pulled another Twilight Princess. Unsurprising, if it's meant to be as big and open world as they say. A company can't just dive into something that large and expect quick results.

P.S. Thanks

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Supposedly they also won't be showing off the NX at all at E3, despite the NX launching in Q1 of next year. I'm not sure what line of reasoning went into this decision. Maybe they want to preview it at other trade shows/conferences?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Lufia Erim said:
So... what exactly is it? I still don't understand. I mean i try to keep up with gaming news and i have no idea what it is, imagine people who don't read gaming news at all.
Nobody knows for sure, all that we know is that Nintendo is abandoning the Wii U and launching a new console next year, other than that everything is just here-say and rumors

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
No idea; you'd have an easier time getting info from the Pentagon than getting it out of Nintendo, especially if it involves their new hardware. However, I will take a stab at its reveal showing something off the wall and different for a console, snobs turning up their noses at it, and then once again engaging in alarmist tendencies.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I just hope whatever new fucked up control system the NX has isn't trialed without option disable on the new Zelda game, i'm still smarting over the broken controls of Skyward Sword and now Star Fox Zero. That's two games i was looking forward to that Nintendo's "Innovation just for the sake of Innovation" pretty much ruined for me

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Covarr said:
So they've pulled another Twilight Princess. Unsurprising, if it's meant to be as big and open world as they say. A company can't just dive into something that large and expect quick results.

P.S. Thanks
Hey Twilight Princess was the best Zelda game yet.

Gave us a very large Hyrule (I mean look at Lake Hylia) and the dungeons were the largest and epic of all Zelda dungeons.

I welcome the wait for this next Zelda to be perfected.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Hey so here's a theory. What if the console IS the mobile device and the hardware is a computer as in the one you're sitting in front of right NOW? A nintendo OS? We are getting a lot of conflicting reports on power of the new system some saying on par others saying miles ahead.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Hey Twilight Princess was the best Zelda game yet.

Gave us a very large Hyrule (I mean look at Lake Hylia) and the dungeons were the largest and epic of all Zelda dungeons.

I welcome the wait for this next Zelda to be perfected.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Twilight Princess (though it'll never surpass Majora's Mask or A Link Between Worlds for me). I was more referring to the "delaying it and then simultaneously launching on the new platform it wasn't originally for" angle. Except this time, it seems to be more that they didn't know what they were getting themselves into than anything else.

P.S. Thanks

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
And here I thought Zelda Wii U was going to be my Christmas present.

Oh well...

I like that the Wii U will have a bit more life in it...wait...so this just occurred to me: what if a reason for the NX delay is so that they can have another holiday season without the NX stealing whatever sales potential that the Wii U has left?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I hope to god they have a better marketingplan for the NX than they had for the WiiU.
Hint: Nintendo, if you want to sell loads of NX consoles, get the Deadpool marketing team to market it for you!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
Supposedly they also won't be showing off the NX at all at E3, despite the NX launching in Q1 of next year. I'm not sure what line of reasoning went into this decision. Maybe they want to preview it at other trade shows/conferences?
I see this being a repeat of the Wii U's marketing in some respects. We know the name of the console and what the controller looks like, but no idea what the console looks like. If we're not going to see this thing at E3 this year. Unless they pull a 90s Sega move and go "WE'RE RELEASING IT TODAY WITHOUT LETTING DEVELOPERS KNOW!!! SURPRISE!!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Does Nintendo have a bet with someone to see how much of a profit they can make while handling things in the worst way possible?

Like, some sort of weird permutation of the book/play/movie Brewster's Millions?
AzrealMaximillion said:
I see this being a repeat of the Wii U's marketing in some respects. We know the name of the console and what the controller looks like, but no idea what the console looks like.
Do we even know that? I thought we only had the controller from the fakes. I looked over the links in the news article and I don't think I'm missing it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks at image...

Link, you nitwit, you're using an ice arrow! Who the heck uses ice arrows?!

Snark aside, I'm actually kind of glad. If the game is on two systems, that does suggest it might have to use a more uniform control scheme and rely less on motion controls. Granted, I played the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess, so maybe the Wii owners did have to deal with that to a significant extent.

Now I just need to get a WiiU or NX. :(

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Hawki said:
Looks at image...

Link, you nitwit, you're using an ice arrow! Who the heck uses ice arrows?!

Snark aside, I'm actually kind of glad. If the game is on two systems, that does suggest it might have to use a more uniform control scheme and rely less on motion controls. Granted, I played the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess, so maybe the Wii owners did have to deal with that to a significant extent.

Now I just need to get a WiiU or NX. :(
It really is a shame that "wrist woggle to attack" is going to be the Wii's legacy. A lot of great games used the Wii-mote well, even Twilight princess in places like aiming and fishing, but mapping combat to a woggle instead of a button ruined everything it touched. I remember the final fight with Ganon in TP being basically impossible because bouncing his magic back at him because of the woggle's imput lag.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I've had some good times on my Wii U, but I think before this year is out, I'll have played out all my games on it with the lack of support for it this year.

Here's hoping they do well with the next machine, they can't keep missing the mark. A couple more like this and they may not be around anymore.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
chozo_hybrid said:
I've had some good times on my Wii U, but I think before this year is out, I'll have played out all my games on it with the lack of support for it this year.

Here's hoping they do well with the next machine, they can't keep missing the mark. A couple more like this and they may not be around anymore.
They've had an odd go of it:
NES wins
SNES wins
N64 32 million. Meh.
Gamecube 21 million. Yikes.
Wii 102 million (generation winner?)
Wii U 12 million 3/5 through life cycle.

Handheld market is keeping them in the green.

Whatever comes next, it should suit the casual and hardcore gamer. Versatile control schemes. Right now, I worry if my Wii U remote breaks, I have a brick on my hands.

But if they can go from the Gamecube disaster to the Wii triumph, I have to think they can survive even if teh NX is a disappointment.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Very sad that Zelda's been delayed again, but at least we'll get to see a lot more of it at E3.