Nintendo of Europe Cuts 130 Jobs as German Headquarters Closes

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
das Nintendo is kaput?

i knew the sales generated by MK8 wouldnt be enough, then again, they might have planned to close the office regardless
Hasn't Mario Kart 8 been a pretty dominant force thus far?
Racecarlock said:
You gotta love all the people who think nintendo needs to go in a more mature and gritty direction, because it's like asking fisher price to make sex toys.
Or it would be, if Fisher Price used to be where you went for quality sex toys, which were licensed by them and published with their "seal of approval."

Face it, Nintendo used to be the place you went for third party titles of all stripes as well as a decent serving of first part titles. Nintendo may have had some censorship issues on occasion, but the problem is more that the market changed and they didn't, rather than people expecting them to do something completely antithetical. I'd call modern Nintendo more akin to Fisher Price than classic Nintendo was.

Even still, this is closer to Fisher Price wanting to be competitive with the sex toy industry. I mean, Nintendo wants to court core gamers, and core gamers want the equivalent of sex toys in this example....

Frankly, I'd settle for Nintendo releasing the games people want within a year of launch, which I think is probably one of their biggest failings.

Remember when games didn't need 37 women being raped, 97 torture references, and someone having a depression induced mental breakdown to be relevant?
Yeah, I do. I'm pretty sure that applies to most modern games, even if you scale back the hyperbole a touch.

Remember when Nintendo was a primary platform for games where you shot the hell out of things?
well i dont know how many consoles it moved, i simply think it wasnt enough, and in japan the number of consoles this game moved is a bit underwhelming, tough the game itself sold very well

http://www.destructoid.com/not-even-mario-kart-8-can-get-people-to-buy-the-wii-u-275925.phtml

none of the other "killer apps" from nintendo has managed to move enough WiiU units to save the console, tough admitedly, Mario Kart might be their best bet yet, i still think it wont save the console
The problem with using Japan's numbers is that Japan's console industry is dead. The Wii U has been the top selling console for weeks now in Japan. That's how dead console sales are there. I will wait for worldwide numbers before I say Mario Kart 8 sold poorly. What we do know is that 1.2 million copies were sold in the first three days. All other information is too minimal for the big picture at this time.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
xaszatm said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
das Nintendo is kaput?

i knew the sales generated by MK8 wouldnt be enough, then again, they might have planned to close the office regardless
Hasn't Mario Kart 8 been a pretty dominant force thus far?
Racecarlock said:
You gotta love all the people who think nintendo needs to go in a more mature and gritty direction, because it's like asking fisher price to make sex toys.
Or it would be, if Fisher Price used to be where you went for quality sex toys, which were licensed by them and published with their "seal of approval."

Face it, Nintendo used to be the place you went for third party titles of all stripes as well as a decent serving of first part titles. Nintendo may have had some censorship issues on occasion, but the problem is more that the market changed and they didn't, rather than people expecting them to do something completely antithetical. I'd call modern Nintendo more akin to Fisher Price than classic Nintendo was.

Even still, this is closer to Fisher Price wanting to be competitive with the sex toy industry. I mean, Nintendo wants to court core gamers, and core gamers want the equivalent of sex toys in this example....

Frankly, I'd settle for Nintendo releasing the games people want within a year of launch, which I think is probably one of their biggest failings.

Remember when games didn't need 37 women being raped, 97 torture references, and someone having a depression induced mental breakdown to be relevant?
Yeah, I do. I'm pretty sure that applies to most modern games, even if you scale back the hyperbole a touch.

Remember when Nintendo was a primary platform for games where you shot the hell out of things?
well i dont know how many consoles it moved, i simply think it wasnt enough, and in japan the number of consoles this game moved is a bit underwhelming, tough the game itself sold very well

http://www.destructoid.com/not-even-mario-kart-8-can-get-people-to-buy-the-wii-u-275925.phtml

none of the other "killer apps" from nintendo has managed to move enough WiiU units to save the console, tough admitedly, Mario Kart might be their best bet yet, i still think it wont save the console
The problem with using Japan's numbers is that Japan's console industry is dead. The Wii U has been the top selling console for weeks now in Japan. That's how dead console sales are there. I will wait for worldwide numbers before I say Mario Kart 8 sold poorly. What we do know is that 1.2 million copies were sold in the first three days. All other information is too minimal for the big picture at this time.
well mine is just a hunch, take my opinion with a grain of salt, after super mario 3D world and pikmin 3 failed to bring the WiiU back from the dead, i dont think anything can, the problem with the console its a design one, like a plane made out of bricks

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mario-kart-8-helps-wii-u-hardware-sales-climb-666-percent-in-the-uk/1100-6420019/

It's proved a console mover in at least one region.

Not to mention, that Destructoid article only covers Japan, labels it an issue when it was still double the sales for the leading piece of hardware, and comes off as sort of dishonest as such. If we were to judge based on Japan, then PS4 and Xbone would be screeeeeeewed.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mario-kart-8-helps-wii-u-hardware-sales-climb-666-percent-in-the-uk/1100-6420019/

It's proved a console mover in at least one region.

Not to mention, that Destructoid article only covers Japan, labels it an issue when it was still double the sales for the leading piece of hardware, and comes off as sort of dishonest as such. If we were to judge based on Japan, then PS4 and Xbone would be screeeeeeewed.
of course, i know it sold consoles, but like i said, i have this feeling it wont be enough, its just a hunch, i might be right i might be wrong, we must now see if MK8 has a lasting effect as far as moving consoles goes