Nintendo Officially Confirms New Console for 2012

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Prediction time!
The Nintendo Mii2 will be analogous to the 3DS, as compared to Sony and MS' PSP2's.
That is, it'll be slightly more powerful than the last generation of consoles, but not nearly as powerful as its "next-generation" competitors, which will follow it a few years later. It will come with a central gimmick that not everyone will appreciate, and will be made or broken by its competition.

Most notably, I don't think Nintendo will be able to sell Mii2's to the tens of millions of casual purchasers who bought the Wii. I think they won't see the advantage in upgrading, so Nintendo's market strategy from the last generation will fall flat this time around, leaving Nintendo scrambling for the same small spot of turf that MS and Sony live on.

The one thing that could give them a winning edge is the time difference; if MS and Sony abstain from launching (or talking about) their new consoles until after Nintendo's launches, Nintendo will sell a good number of systems simply due to being the only fish in the sea.

At least, as long as the system is noticeably better than the X360/PS3.

On the subject of the controller, all I have to say is that this gimmick might actually work. Think "design-your-own" controls and as many extra buttons as needed - even entire keyboards. With this gimmick, RTS on the console might be plausible.

Alchemist08

May 25, 2010
Not interested in buying a new console, even next gen (which i highly doubt this will be, I'm betting my money on a wii with a few upgrades) for a few more years. Plus with that price tag, say goodbye to the leisure gamer crowd that nintendo has been controlling for the last several years.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Two requests for Nintendo:

-Don't delay Skyward Sword for this.

-Don't name it "Stream"

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So it seems like console developers have said to themselves:
Hmm, Apple is doing well. I know! Let's put touchscreens/pads all over EVERYTHING! Yeah, we are sure to get money that way. We are so smart!

also this:
http://kotaku.com/#!5795102/kotaku-shop-contest-the-crowd+sourced-wii-2
ahahaha

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
I'm excited and all you have to do is make this more powerful than the current generation of consoles better online and good 3rd party support and I'm sold.

And to be fair current console generations actually look almost as good as high end PC games BECAUSE they don't have an OS in the way hogging resources on top of the fact that they can be custom built for the specific architecture of the console meaning they can glean a ton more power out of a console then a more powerful PC

Point is if this is more powerful than the current console generation (2-4x better at least) then it will be on par with current PC graphics standards

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Matthew Dunn said:
Now that the Wii will have something more powerful than the Xbox
Im sure Microsoft will have something up their sleeve for this
so be ready for something new from Microsoft within the next few months (just a guess)
Either that or they pull out by 2014. While the XBox and XBox 360 are excellent machines, they apparently are hemorrhaging money out of Microsoft. If they don't have something up their sleeves, they will probably be screwed bad and have to leave gaming.
Where the hell are you getting that from? They've been making profits on the 360 for ages now, not to mention the huge piles of money they make from Live. They're not even vaguely close to being out of the running yet, and neither are Sony.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
thefreeman0001 said:
i cant wait to play mario zelda and metroid again! yayyyy.... -_-
Hey, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption had the best control scheme on a console FPS. (At least at the time. I dunno if Sony has copied it)
It was also fun.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
Imagine SSB online!

Anyone know if nintendo plans to do this?
I agree with SSB. I still play SSBB every day against my brother. I LOVE the game. I just hate that you have to wait 20+ minutes to find 3 enemies to play. They failed HARD on the online support with SSBB. If they make the next SSB with good online support... I can't even imagine how happy I would be.

Now a bit offtopic. Anyone saying motion controls are bad is wrong. It's the bad implementation. Play Red Steal 2 and you will see how awesome motion control can be. Just because most developers didn't know how to make it work, doesn't mean it's Nintendo's fault. At least not mostly.

Now a bit on-topic. Nintendo's market analytics read the market of 2006 right and they made a console as it should be. Everyone could buy it, everyone could play it. PS3 required a HD TV which were really expensive at that time, or you could simply play on your PS2 and would have the same effect as PS3 on a CRT TV. xbox 360 was in a bit better situation, but was still much better on HD and the cost was to high. Now, when most people have HD TV and those who don't have can get one really cheap, Nintendo made a HD console.

No one can disagree with me when I say that Nintendo can read the market better than the other big 2.

I can't wait for the new console to be shown. MS still got the PC market, but Sony... they could be in big trouble if they don't do anything.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
According to the rumors, the console is "significantly" more powerful than the Xbox 360 or PS3, is capable of HD graphics, and is backwards compatible with the Wii.
I should hope that part is true. Both the 360 and PS3 are rather old and not so top of the line anymore (yes, even the PS3, despite what its fanboys want people to think).

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
Jonabob87 said:
What's the logic in releasing Skyward sword on the Wii next year if a new console will be releasing?
Well, due to backward compatibility, it doesn't really matter. At the same time, Skyward Sword is releasing later this year, after OoT3D is released, so the new console should be out about a year after the latest Zelda.

OT: I'm glad Ninty finally confirmed this. I've been waiting to get a Wii (stupid college and how it drains money) and now I'll likely just wait for this. Looks like Nintendo's E3 show will be awesome this year too! (or finally, if you're one who didn't care for the 3DS announcement)

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
Why is it so expensive? It shares the same CPU the first gen 360s use and a R700 GPU which is 5 years old. It should be $200 max.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
gunna go out on a limb here but its probably going to be virtual reality in a simpler fashion, and combination of the virtual boy and the power glove(2 wrongs make a right) you slip on the equipment along with some leg pads and your transported out of your normal life and into a realistic fantasy where everything you've dreamed of for a video game has come true. and it'll be able to play dvd/and or blueray

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
So who wants to bet that the new Zelda game will deliberately get pushed back so it can be ported to the new system for it's launch?

cross_breed

Mar 22, 2011
I'm just psyched to have a real console from Nintendo again. I don't like the Wii. Just my opinion, but I just really hate motion controls, so, yeah. I'm pretty glad I get to play Metroid Prime 4 (or are we on 5 now?), whatever the new LoZ will be, and maybe even a Mario game or two. I'm refusing to get excited, because I was excited about the "Revolution" as well, so I'll keep an eye on this, but I refuse to become excited.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Raeil said:
Jonabob87 said:
What's the logic in releasing Skyward sword on the Wii next year if a new console will be releasing?
Well, due to backward compatibility, it doesn't really matter. At the same time, Skyward Sword is releasing later this year, after OoT3D is released, so the new console should be out about a year after the latest Zelda.

OT: I'm glad Ninty finally confirmed this. I've been waiting to get a Wii (stupid college and how it drains money) and now I'll likely just wait for this. Looks like Nintendo's E3 show will be awesome this year too! (or finally, if you're one who didn't care for the 3DS announcement)
That's assuming that the Wiimote will be compatible with the next console. I suppose they could do what they did with Twilight Princess and release it on both separately.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
I'm saving up my money for this shit. I'm not gonna be left out of it this time.

Hi def SSB!

Put in more 3rd Party characters!

You know what would be awesome? At the end of Classic mode, when you defeat Master Hand, [HEADING=3]AKUMA[/HEADING] should jump from somewhere at the bottom and say,

"MY FISTS BLEED DEATH! WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM!"

Let's you and him fight ensues!

Wouldn't that be awesome? And with a Capcom character in an SSB game, this will give way to a Nintendo vs Capcom. Worked that way with Marvel, it should be the same way.