Nintendo Patents In-Game Walkthroughs

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Nintendo Patents In-Game Walkthroughs

Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com] has filed a patent for a system that would let gamers watch in-game video walkthroughs and hints for games, or even entire automated playthroughs of games.

The system, revealed in a patent [http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=Nintendo.AS.&OS=AN/Nintendo&RS=AN/Nintendo] filed in June of last year but made public today, has three main features.

In one, players can go through a game as they normally would, but can access video hints that would be displayed in real-time in-game. So, if you're stuck in a puzzle in Zelda, you can pull up a video recorded by one of the game's developers (or even uploaded by another gamer), and it'll show you exactly how to do it. "In the game control method, in a case where a character that is allowed to perform a particular action is not in a party (a group to which a player character operated by a player belongs), a hint message is presented when a position at which the particular action can be performed is approached," the patent says. "Therefore, a player may not become stuck with the game, and is allowed to easily clear the game."

The second mode takes this idea to its extreme, and is essentially an automated playthrough of a game. You watch a video of a developer playing through the game, and you can jump into a scene to play for yourself whenever you feel like it. You cannot, however, save during this mode.

The third mode lets you skip directly to a certain section of a game, almost like a chapter menu on a DVD. The benefit of this, obviously, would be that you wouldn't have to slog through and waste a bunch of time playing through half a game just to get to "the good part."

The objective of this system seems to be to make games easier to finish and enjoy to completion for people who don't have the time or gaming acumen to do so. The patent makes clear that this isn't meant to turn off gamers who have the desire to finish a game the good ol' fashioned way, but just to make it less intimidating for every one else. In-game hints aren't enough to break down that barrier, the patent emphasizes. "There is a problem that a user does not have sufficient time for the game play may not enjoy the large volume of game to the end and give up halfway even when the difficulty level of game is lowered by presenting a hint or the like in the middle of the game," the patent states.

This is certainly a big leap forward, some would say in the direction of "dumbing down" the experience of playing a videogame. I personally, and I call myself a hardcore gamer, don't see much to be offended by here. This system simply would make it a lot easier for some people to finish a game, and if you don't want to utilize it because it's for "teh casuals," you don't have to. If you do, that just means you'll be saving a trip to your laptop to check GameFAQs. Furthermore, it might actually be a backdoor for Nintendo to focus on core gamers, since they'd be able to build more challenging (or relatively challenging) game experiences without fear of scaring off consumers who'd be too afraid they'd never be able to finish a game otherwise. That's my take - what do you guys think?

[Via NeoGAF [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21803]]

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Yeah, why not. Let people buy the game, so the game will play itself on its own. [ Hopefully gramatically correct ].

Clever Nintendo. Clever.

naftali1

Oct 10, 2008
Why? That just takes all the fun out of it...well at least they won't force this feature upon us. It'll just kinda be there.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Oh God really? They're actually making a feature that plays the game for you! Is anyone going to get any enjoyment out of that!?

Whats the point of the hint system as well. If you really desperately need hints theres a little thing called the internet that might come in handy.

I am really, truly pissed off with this. Nintendo stooped as low as they could, then got on all fours and started digging.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
raxiv said:
Yeah, why not. Let people buy the game, so the game will play itself on its own. [ Hopefully gramatically correct ].

Clever Nintendo. Clever.
I hope you don't mean that. If you don't want it, then don't use it. Simple as that. Like the content filter on Gears of War. If you want gibs, then leave it off. If you were somehow possessed to buy it and let your grade school kids play it, make sure for hell that it's on when they play. Parents like that have no place to say that violent video games create homicidal maniacs. (sorry, got off topic there)

Zelda Water Temple dungeons are my downfall.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
This could actually allow them to make games harder by giving people a way around the frustration of "how in shitting fuck's name are you supposed to do this". Once you know that what you're trying to do is what you're supposed to be trying to do to clear a given obstacle, you can focus on getting it right instead of wondering whether you're just missing the real solution. On the flip side, it makes it easier for people who aren't experienced gamers to play through a more complex game for much the same reasons.

Certain things are intuitive, obvious and accepted to those of us who have been playing games a long time (which buttons are almost always jump/attack/shoot/accelerate/etc, that shiny objects are meant to be collected by running into them, what kind of thing you can expect to be able to grab onto or make use of, even physics-defying silliness like the ability to jump while in mid-air) but here they're reaching out to people who are new gamers (not necessarily causal, just new) to bring them up to speed a little.

Think about it properly and you'll see the other side to this... it isn't just for making the retardedly obvious even more obvious, but _can_ be used to get previous non-gamers playing a "proper" game without having to go through a phase of being pissed off by every failure. Not everyone out there in the non-gamer market is going to be enticed into gaming by the 'opportunity' to play cutesy challenge-less puzzle games and this is their opening into the hard stuff.

Well... I hope they use it for that kind of thing. Then again it is entirely possible that'll it only ever be used by the makers of challenge-less puzzle games to remove even the "able to read and comprehend the instructions" hurdle.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
raxiv said:

Clever Nintendo. Clever.
I hope you don't mean that. If you don't want it, then don't use it. Simple as that. Like the content filter on Gears of War. If you want gibs, then leave it off. If you were somehow possessed to buy it and let your grade school kids play it, make sure for hell that it's on when they play. Parents like that have no place to say that violent video games create homicidal maniacs. (sorry, got off topic there)

Zelda Water Temple dungeons are my downfall.
I object to what You said. I haven't written anywhere that the game will be only there to play itself on its own. We all read the article and we know its a feature. What I wrote was a satiric [spelling?] view on that.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
Ng said:
Furthermore, it might actually be a backdoor for Nintendo to focus on core gamers, since they'd be able to build more challenging (or relatively challenging) game experiences without fear of scaring off consumers who'd be too afraid ...
Ahhh... This is pretty clever! I wouldn't have thought of that on my own, but I agree that this would be a neat way to start making games tougher without worrying about reduced sales from people who don't buy "real"/"hardcore"/blahblahblah games. Cool stuff, cool stuff.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Meh, they can keep it. I know for a fact that people who'll get stuck on a particular part of the game are more prone to abuse the feature when it's there than to just try to figure it out one last time. Afterwards these will also be the people who'll complain that the game is too short or too easy. Sure, you can choose not to use it, but if you have a nuke at your disposal, will you go kill the entire city of New York armed with only a 9 mm.?

...I would.

Blank__ said:
Ng said:
Furthermore, it might actually be a backdoor for Nintendo to focus on core gamers, since they'd be able to build more challenging (or relatively challenging) game experiences without fear of scaring off consumers who'd be too afraid ...
Ahhh... This is pretty clever! I wouldn't have thought of that on my own, but I agree that this would be a neat way to start making games tougher without worrying about reduced sales from people who don't buy "real"/"hardcore"/blahblahblah games. Cool stuff, cool stuff.
Don't you think this method looks awefully like the one used in Alone In The Dark? You could skip to whatever scene in the game you wanted, which meant you'd never be stuck. Sounds good in theory, but it seems like a giant buzzkill to me. Out goes the bragging about killing a difficult boss in Metroid because now everyone can see how the pros do it (I don't know how hard the bosses are usually but the final in in Hunters had me in for a good half hour).

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
Here's all that matters: Will this help Nintendo make money?

Methinks it might.
1. It will mean nobody gets turned off to a game because of its difficulty. All of a sudden the question becomes does it look fun, not can I beat it?
2.Games now have more value because it is accessible to the gamer and the "girlfriend." More value equals more sales.
3.They still make game guides as books despite the internet. I see Nintendo thinking, I want in on that market. I see this hint system being sold as a downloadable extra for a small fee. Just like game guides but integrated right into the game itself.

1&2 would probably have to involve the feature being free and is therefore not compatible with 3, but either way, this sounds like a money making idea.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
This makes me worry about what sort of lawsuits they might file against people making their own walk-through/play-through if this patent was granted. Also, aren't patents normally granted for actual items or inventions and not merely ideas? Isn't that what a copyright or trademark is for?

EDIT: they use the term invention over and over in the application, but this is clearly an idea.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
While I like any talk of a chapter selection menu, I think it should stick to unlocked chapters.

And how was Alone in the Dark able to get away with DVD style skipping if Nintendo patented it?
Presumably it was just so bad than no-one gave a shit.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I think Nintendo just won the Douche of the Year award, and it's only the beginning of the year. It's not really a "big" deal, but it is VERY douchey.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I think Nintendo just won the Douche of the Year award, and it's only the beginning of the year. It's not really a "big" deal, but it is VERY douchey.
How is it douchey? They're changing gaming.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I really don't care; if people can't get past a part or want some help let them. No one is forcing the hints on you.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Okay Nintendo, you're taking this whole "everyone can play!" thing a wee bit to seriously.

It's as if Nintendo thinks that "casual" are retards after all. Even "casual" gamers want a god damn challenge.

I get that if you're stuck on a certain part of Zelda or something (damn water temples) then the game itself would give you a hint. Like, after 20 minutes of wandering around, the game tells you to press a button and it shows you something that could jumpstart your thinking. Not actually showing you how it's "properly done", that gives no sense of achievment to anyone.

But this just completely undermines the whole point of gaming which is interaction. Too often I have been stuck on a boss for a few minutes and went straight to the internet for help. If that was available to me the whole time I...I don't know what would happen but it would not be good.

I understand that someone would be turned off of a game's difficulty, but this is hand-holding to the extreme.

EDIT: Though I'm probably being to bitchy about it, who knows if they're even going to use it that often in their games.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Keane Ng said:
or even entire automated playthroughs of games.
Haaaaang on, the sneaky bastards have just patented videos!

...that was funnier when it first occurred to me. In hindsight, it's crap.