Nintendo possibly exiting the mobile market.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Is this a good move for them? They only really entered the mobile market because the Wii U wasn't doing well, but with the success of the Switch, they don't really need to anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Is this a good move for them? They only really entered the mobile market because the Wii U wasn't doing well, but with the success of the Switch, they don't really need to anymore.
Yes, and I'm glad. A majority of their mobile games weren't that good or had the same crappy DLC you was seeing other mobile or AAA titles.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
A portable console is not the same thing as the mobile market, and I'm pretty sure you know that.
True, but that doesn't mean they can't apply the mobile business practices towards the mobile console. Though it's unlikely from them. They probably just didn't think the Mobile market was worth the reputation hit.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
If this means fewer games like that new tencent pokemon abomination, I'm all for it. They don't need phone games to to succeed.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Nintendo could have had even more people playing their games if they did mobile well. Mobile gamers outnumber console/PC gamers by a LOT.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My sister seems to enjoy the mobile version of Animal Crossing. Hell, in some ways, it looks like a more interesting version of the game.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Maybe that means Dragalia Lost will get a decent conclusion.
I'd love an actual game in that world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be glad if they do leave the mobile market. Apart from Pokemon Go, I haven't heard very good things: mobile seems to bring out the worst in them in terms of industry practices.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The mobile scene is filled with phone games anyways. Surprised they stuck with it this long, but DS was always a monster success there even if it’s tapered off lately.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
What does this mean for Pokémon Go?
Probably not much. My guess is that the stuff that's already on mobile will likely stay around, but that Nintendo will stop investing in future mobile projects, or at least significantly dial back development.