Nintendo President Satoru Iwata Passes Away Aged 55

AngronIsAngry

Sep 28, 2011
Of all the tributes I have seen so far, this is one is simple and surely one of the most powerful
Goodbye, Mr. Iwata https://youtu.be/iVkmafvndqU

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Nothing I can say will do this amazing person justice.

Goodnight sweet prince.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I read about this last night. Really depressed news :(

It's like Nintendo just lost a piece of its soul. Iwata was the real deal.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Fuck.

Nintendo has always been a large part of my childhood, and Iwata was one of the reasons why I respect their company structure so much, internal hiring people who have been programmers, designers etc. People who genuinely seem to care about what they're creating and ironing out all issues to make sure it's as perfect as possible, and above all FUN.

Rest in peace and thank you for everything.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Revnak said:
tf2godz said:
(An image that should not exist, the creation of which is more disrespectful that if it were real)
Hey, that's fake.

I'm sad to see him go. Nintendo won't be the same without him.
Twitter screenshots are like game trailers: untrustworthy.

OT: Honestly I thought Miyamoto would leave us first. Not to undermine the weight of this Iwata's loss, but when the creator of Mario dies, it will be a truly sad day.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the news on this on GameExplain. I almost teared up.

It's a real shame. He was taken way too soon, and cancer of the bile duct was no fucking way to go at all. I hope his final moments were at least painless and with a sense of peace.

But in his wake he left a big hole with not only his close friends at Nintendo, but for the staff who I know cared just as much about him as he did with all of his employees at Nintendo.

It's heart wrenching and I don't really want to delve into this too much because it's honestly depressing.

But I feel that instead of being filled with grief we should take his passing as an even further drive to make the best out of our passions and make people smile. That's what he stood for in real life, and that's what we should continue.

Rest in Peace Iwata. I'm....sorely going to miss you (especially during Nintendo Directs). You lead a good life full of creativity and passion and may those same qualities follow you into the afterlife as well.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
How shocking and sad.

While I've certainly fallen out of love with Nintendo during his watch and have strongly disagreed with some of his decisions and interviews, I cannot forget his many contributions and am sad to see a legend go, especially so young.

It's strange to think that gaming is so new an industry that we really don't have that many "legends" that have died. It's going to be a weird 20-30 years as we begin to experience what the movie industry has felt for so many decades now where legends haven't only died but have even become forgotten. Must have been what it felt like when Hitchcock died to film buffs in 1980.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
It is a sad day for all gamers.

Rest in peace, Iwata-san, you will be missed.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well shit, this is something I did not expec to see on the news on here today (just got back from work).

OT- It always dishearted me seeing death at a relatively young age. Ok sure 55 is not young but he could had many more years doing what he loved best, making games.

RIP Satoru Iwata.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
OT: What I loved about Iwata was his background in game development, and his business skills. Even if his leadership had its ups and downs, he really was an ideal CEO of a game company. He understood both sides very well, and I hope Nintendo does not forget the balance Iwata had striven for.
I remember the start of 2014 when he and the executives took a huge pay-cut for six months to help compensate for the poor WiiU sales, as opposed to laying off developers/artists. He was definitely one of the Titan's in the industry, one of the ones people could look to and say "this is how it should be done".

RIP Satoru Iwata, and many condolences for your Family at home and in the office.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I was absolutely shocked when I saw it as at his age I didn't expect to die so young. A great loss of a true main event talent who paid his dues unlike so many.

RIP Satoru Iwata

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The coolest thing I saw was his Wikipedia page was updated to say "gods never die"... its probably been edited by now but damn that was beautiful... *sniff*

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."
Douglas Adams

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm in shock.
I'll be playing Pokemon and LOZ: TP over the next few days. I may not agree with Nintendo since the Wii was released, but there's no denying that we lost a great man.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Iwata was one of the very few CEOs who had actually worked in gaming for most of his life, and was great at programming too. A lot of the company's business decisions under his reign weren't all that good, but what he did with the Wii and DS really saved Nintendo and he's responsible for so much else. I can't name a single other CEO in this industry who put fun above everything else, and that's really saying something.

"Even if we come from different sides of the world, speak different languages, even if we eat too many chips or rice balls, even if we have different tastes in games, every one of us here today is identical in the most important way: each one of us has the heart of a gamer."

RIP.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Oh god. Now I feel like Bowser's Inside Story was about going in and fixing Iwata.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
This sucks... the guy was legit, I don't really know what to say... the world is worse off without him.

R.I.P. sir.

Asmundr

Mar 17, 2010
Game on Sir, Game on in the Sky.

When the time comes keep some controllers ready. I'm sure their are a lot of folks that want to see what creations you'e made in heaven.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Genuinely saddened by this,The guy was one of the few big cheeses in gaming who was a gamer and developer first and a businessman second.His attitude towards the industry can be summed up perfectly by this quote he made in 2006

"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone."

RIP dude