Nintendo President Says Wii in "Unhealthy Condition"

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Cubilone said:
In what sense exactly is Japan a small country? They have both the population and the market potential for great things in the industry.
While it isn't small in terms of population, the extremely small geographic area it occupies along with its almost entirely homogeneous population and uniformly high living standards give it a lot of the characteristics I think you can expect to see in a smaller nation, in terms of the way it functions culturally.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
They've more or less saturated their market, I think. Time to expand their market. To, y'know, gamers.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
They've more or less saturated their market, I think. Time to expand their market. To, y'know, gamers.
More or less, this is a summary of the Wii's situation. It's beloved by everyone who isn't a gamer, whilst the gamers look on with a mild sort of contempt. I think that this problem will easily be resolved with, I dunno, more games for gamers instead of housewives and grandparents.

Besides: they've already sold all the consoles possible to everyone who wants one. The only way to improve sales is what Omni said: make a DSi equivalent of the Wii.

Naberius

Apr 8, 2009
Maybe this means Nintendo can finally go the way of Sega. Their shitty, last-gen-in-disguise consoles can finally rest in peace, and the company can do something productive like make good games again or produce accessories like Wii Remotes for the other systems.

Frankly, I have had it with the Wii, and am not sad to see it slipping. I think, long term, it's massive sales are going to force other companies to use their model of making shitty games for ever fuckhead on earth. Real developers that make real games are not going to get the funding or sales they need to compete, and we are going to enter a spiraling vortex of mediocrity worse than we've ever had.

The repercussions for the Wii are going to be felt for a long time, and they have murdered gaming for everyone except dumbass housewives and their diaper-shitting spawn.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Sales for the Wii are slipping.....in Japan. People are buying more PS3's......in Japan. Guys, sales are slipping in freaking Japan, while the damn thing is still flying off the shelves everywhere else. Stop crying apocolypse for Nintendo geez

Despite the fact my boycott of the Wii started with its renaming from "Revolution" to Wii, I have to disagree with you Naberius, Nintendo isn't going anywhere for a VERY long time. Sales for consoles are supposed to be sort of slipping this far down the line, normally the company has another console in the works, but its a normal pattern for consoles.

Trust me, it really pains me at this point to be defending Nintendo, but seeing as I grew up with it I have to toss it a pitty shield now and again.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I find it strange that they are worried about consloe sales. Mabey it's just me, but i'd think most everyone that wants a Wii probably would bought one by now. they probably wont buy a second one, so of course sales will drop.

And for PS3s increasing sales. Well it had always been assumed that people were going to wait untill certian titles came out for it. So as time went by, people who were waiting bought one, thus slower decline in sales.

For my 2 cents I think the Wii is a fad, the gimmiks get old pretty quick so it dosen't really have any lasting appeal to me. Unless they release non-gimmiked games on it which it seems to be against contract to do. The DS used to have this problem as well but to some extent has grown out of it. But even if they did I'd buy it for one of the other systems for reasons of memory, graphics, contols, ect.

In fact i'd go so far as to say my wii was pretty much dead to me after I got over the motion controls (this took about 2 months). The only games it has that I enjoy anymore are Wii exclusives that don't use the gimmiks. And I can only think of 2.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
orannis62 said:
Valiance said:
SeniorDingDong said:
Well, then lift your ass up Nintendo !

I could instantly name you a dozen games, using your very own franchises, that should be made for the Wii.
This.

It's just stupid when there's no Starfox or F-Zero installment on the Wii.

I'm sure some people would pay for a remake of OoT done with the Twilight Princess engine.

I don't know, there's a lot of things that should be cross-platform but they aren't.
Well, they can't do Starfox, because that series ended (it said so explicitly in the recent one for the DS, Starfox Command).
Then REBOOT the franchise.

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
Yeah, I dont see where the problem is:

a) put it on the end of the storyline like they did with Metroid Fusion and let every other game happend before it

b) make clear it is just "out of canon" to ignore it entirely

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Am I going to be the first to say "Go Sony! "Good for Sony."?

Mkay;

Good for Sony :D

I'd assume that the Wii sales have hit saturation in Japan right now, but I don't suspect that it'll do anything major to their entire company. They're still selling like legal cocaine, so this doesn't strike me as OMG THE WII IS TEH LOZING.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Valiance said:
SeniorDingDong said:
Well, then lift your ass up Nintendo !

I could instantly name you a dozen games, using your very own franchises, that should be made for the Wii.
This.

It's just stupid when there's no Starfox or F-Zero installment on the Wii.

I'm sure some people would pay for a remake of OoT done with the Twilight Princess engine.

I don't know, there's a lot of things that should be cross-platform but they aren't.
I swear to god I would buy another Wii if they told me I had to in order to get Starfox and F-Zero on the Wii.

Not much even has to be visually done with it, that game run the Gamecube for all it was worth, and I would never take visuals over gameplay.

Now just give us online play, extra tracks and racers, possibly a longer (and harder? Would that even be possible?) story mode, and you got yourself a million seller. That game practically makes itself.

P.S. When Nintendo said their Zelda teams were 'hard at work', they didn't mean Spirit Tracks did they? Surely not, that's silly...
Am I the only one wishing for new instalments from Nintendo? They do seem somewhat interested since they made Pikmin a few years back and have published a few mature games since (I.E. Eternal Darkness and Geist)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The weirdest part is, they wouldn't even have to spend a gargantuan amount of money to make a decent F-Zero game for the Wii. Granted, it wouldn't be exactly cheap, but it'd cost a lot less to produce than Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Jumplion said:
Am I going to be the first to say "Go Sony! "Good for Sony."?

Mkay;

Good for Sony :D

I'd assume that the Wii sales have hit saturation in Japan right now, but I don't suspect that it'll do anything major to their entire company. They're still selling like legal cocaine, so this doesn't strike me as OMG THE WII IS TEH LOZING.
I'll second that

Honestly, maybe everyone already owns a Wii

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Yes, make the Wii itself cheaper, and don't cut the price.
That'll get everyone excited.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Somehow, I think this is probably just because it sold so well in Japan when it came out that every single person who wants one has had one since release day. I think they may have pretty much tapped out the Japanese market. Now if they started making cheap TVs for all the idiots who throw their remotes around, they could make a real profit.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
tendo82 said:
Japan's a small country with a cultural mentality that's fairly different from our own. The lack of franchises We want isn't necessarily an indicator for why the Wii's momentum may have slowed in Japan.

After all, Brain Training was probably more responsible for the DS's runaway success in Japan than any of the titles created for the core gamer set. As far as I'm concerned, the Wii just needs a Brain Training type of hit and the Wii will be fine again in Japan.
I dunno about what the Japanese market looks for in terms of titles, but I think the slowing sales are due more to market saturation than anything else.

That being said, I think fitness titles are going to be the Wii's sleeper hits, once the home video fitness video industry gets up to speed on the platform.