Nintendo President Says Wii in "Unhealthy Condition"

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Sure, they're losing money, and the Wii is in unhealthy condition when it comes the good/bad game ratio, but they're not looking at the whole picture, I believe.
The market is probably just too saturated at the moment. The console has been around for a long time, and sales lose momentum over time. Also, since the decline in price of the PS3, more exclusive titles coming to the system, and media slaving features, it becomes a more accessible option to those who wanted one in the first place or are looking for something different.

I believe that they just need some great third-party games and first-party franchise games to reinvigorate the system. Sales have to die down soon enough when more and more people own them. Besides, with their monopoly on the handheld market...

Nova Tendril

Apr 1, 2009
SeniorDingDong said:
Well, then lift your ass up Nintendo !

I could instandly name you a dozen games, using your very own franchises, that should be made for the Wii.
This

And what really pisses me off are the Wiis motion controls. No one uses them well. I fear that if they made a Pikmin game for the Wii they would completley screw it up with motion controls.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
orannis62 said:
Valiance said:
SeniorDingDong said:

I could instantly name you a dozen games, using your very own franchises, that should be made for the Wii.
This.

It's just stupid when there's no Starfox or F-Zero installment on the Wii.

I'm sure some people would pay for a remake of OoT done with the Twilight Princess engine.

I don't know, there's a lot of things that should be cross-platform but they aren't.
Well, they can't do Starfox, because that series ended (it said so explicitly in the recent one for the DS, Starfox Command).
Yeah, but think of Halo.

After 3 the franchise was dead, but they started making spin-offs to garner as much money as they could.

Starfox could do the same, you know.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
SeniorDingDong said:

I could instandly name you a dozen games, using your very own franchises, that should be made for the Wii.
I don't think anyone wants to see 'Legend of Zelda: Shake Dat Thing' or 'Metroid Hunters: Shake' or 'Donkey Kong: Shake Dat Bannana'

Then again this is Nintendo we are talking about so i've probably given them enough ideas to last them the next 80 years.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
sanzo said:
Jumplion said:
Am I going to be the first to say "Go Sony! "Good for Sony."?

Mkay;

Good for Sony :D

I'd assume that the Wii sales have hit saturation in Japan right now, but I don't suspect that it'll do anything major to their entire company. They're still selling like legal cocaine, so this doesn't strike me as OMG THE WII IS TEH LOZING.
I'll second that

Honestly, maybe everyone already owns a Wii
Ill third that.
Everyone and their nan has a Wii by now, and Im glad to hear that Sony is managing to gain some kind of success over there.

Also, Nintendo must have made billions by now, I doubt this is going to affect them much considering European and US sales are still going strong.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
The Japanese market is that important to them eh? That's an interesting bit of knowledge to learn, especially if it IS losing ground to the PS3. How very... different to the Western culture of video games...

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
okay if your sales are dropping Nintendo then MAKE SOME GAMES THAT DON`T INVOLVE SPORTS FOR ONCE seriously you`ve got a couple of franchises that people are yelling out that a sequel needs to be made for them and you`re wasting your time with the mii`s now they were a fun addition at first but really please just put some attention into your other franchises please for the good of your company.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
How, exactly, is the Wii in an unhealthy condition? It's still making ridiculous amounts of money.

Maybe he means the people who make the Wii are in an unhealthy condition, because they're all suffering from hernias caused by the strain of carrying their giant piles of money home!

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Oh no its only making them billions now, not trillions. This A) Makes me hate Nintendo more for thinking nothing can happen to them when they have zero quality control and B) Karma may not only be in Fallout.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Its possible that the wii has hit saturation in Japan. There are only so many homes in any given territory. No one can say that the Wii hasnt been a massive success story.

I dont get all of this hatred towards the Wii. So what if its different from traditional consoles? Multiple platforms are good for gaming, the industry an gamers. Its called competition and drives innovation, investment and R&D.

It will be a sad day for gaming if we ever get to the point where the only console on the market is the PS37. Im sure even the fanboys can see that.

If you dont like a console then dont buy it, they all have their pros and cons. Just dont run others down for their choice and quit being so militant.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
thatstheguy said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Valiance said:
SeniorDingDong said:

I could instantly name you a dozen games, using your very own franchises, that should be made for the Wii.
This.

I'm sure some people would pay for a remake of OoT done with the Twilight Princess engine.

I don't know, there's a lot of things that should be cross-platform but they aren't.
I swear to god I would buy another Wii if they told me I had to in order to get Starfox and F-Zero on the Wii.

Not much even has to be visually done with it, that game run the Gamecube for all it was worth, and I would never take visuals over gameplay.

Now just give us online play, extra tracks and racers, possibly a longer (and harder? Would that even be possible?) story mode, and you got yourself a million seller. That game practically makes itself.

P.S. When Nintendo said their Zelda teams were 'hard at work', they didn't mean Spirit Tracks did they? Surely not, that's silly...
Am I the only one wishing for new instalments from Nintendo? They do seem somewhat interested since they made Pikmin a few years back and have published a few mature games since (I.E. Eternal Darkness and Geist)
You aren't alone at all on that. I'm just staying in my comfort zone and voting for titles I know already work well. If new IPs come along then I will be very receptive, and there is word of a new franchise coming to light very soon.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
orannis62 said:
Valiance said:
SeniorDingDong said:

This.

Well, they can't do Starfox, because that series ended (it said so explicitly in the recent one for the DS, Starfox Command).
None of those endings were canon to the main story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_(series)#Star_Fox_Command

God I love it. They should still be able to do sequels if none of those endings count, right? Worst comes to worst they could just pretend it never happened, or start some kind of new star fox crew under a different name.

Also, scroll down to 'other media' and it talks about the manga, and why Falco left Star Fox. It also speaks on the Lylat Wars (starfox 64) manga that has plot points and info not in the game. Interesting...

Lord Krunk said:
Yeah, but think of Halo.

After 3 the franchise was dead, but they started making spin-offs to garner as much money as they could.

Starfox could do the same, you know.
Exactly. I didn't play command (but I should) but surely they could continue the series if they so wished.

hannahdonno

Apr 5, 2009
I think the reason the Wii did so well in the first place was due to its very original idea for controls. Once everyone had played it a bit in their friends house, people realised the games for it were awful, no matter how excting waggling a stick about to control your player was.

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
It was a matter of time for this to happen, and their solution is to release....another wii sports? What would happen when people get tired of that one? Release another and so on? That doesn't sound like a long term solution.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Bring the damned Bushido Blade game. Everyone thought lightsabers when they saw the remote, I saw a Bushido Blade remake. Someone needs to make it happen.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This is what happens when you get sales so high, that the only way to go is down.

Nintendo will be fine...They're still making a ton of money.

L_Lawliet

Mar 24, 2009
Nintendo is a marketing giant. They will think of something. They always do.

But as of this post, understand Nintendo's position. They ARE on top, but they see themselves slipping and don't want to lose their spot as king of the hill.

At least they have enough foresight to realize that they are beginning to lose ground on the PS3 and 360. So kudos to them for not waiting until they have fallen behind to start reloading their guns.

weirdaljedifan2

Apr 12, 2008
Nintendo, please make a Kirby, Star Fox, etc. Wii game. I guarantee people will buy.

If you make it, we will buy. (Field of Dreams reference)

not4prophet

Feb 24, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Bring the damned Bushido Blade game. Everyone thought lightsabers when they saw the remote, I saw a Bushido Blade remake. Someone needs to make it happen.
This. Just focus on making the game with motion controls that work properly.