Nintendo Rejects Binding of Isaac on 3DS

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I like the people who say "This is bad, thank God I dont buy Nintendo products." Why are you here then? This doesn't effect you at all, and your comments are just the standard "OMG Nintendo r teh badz".

Nintendo likes to keep their brand name clean. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo ACTIVELY target their games toward a casual and child audience. You also don't hear that many claims of violence on the Wii, mostly because the violent games that DO get released are toned down, re-releases of another game, or just plain bad.

Like it or not, releasing "The Binding of Issac" is not a good idea. Say what you want about that game, good or bad, but the message it sends it pretty grim. Its the kind of game that would make a few parents say "Im not buying this product for my children." It could also scare off the casual crowd, who don't want to be painted with the message Nintendo would be appearing to set.

You guys are suprised? You think Nintendo is being draconian? They're running their business. Especially now, they have a very niche appeal to a very specific audience. The Binding of Issac is not a game meant to appeal to that large audience, and the damage it could do to the image of their brand is not worth the few hardcore players that would like the title.

Its not draconian, its business. You wouldn't chastise the 360 for not allowing "Super Torture Sex Factory" on their console, same principal. They are a brand.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
SuperTrainStationH said:
weirdguy said:
I think the only reason Resident Evil: Revelations wasn't blocked was because they mangled the use of Dante's Inferno so heavily that nobody could actually figure out why they were using it besides being able to make the names of enemies sound cooler.
Dante's Inferno is an explicit work of fiction whereas the story of Abraham and his first son is actual religious teaching at the heart of three major world religions.

Something important to consider when comparing those two games.
or as Yathzee said in his review of Dante's Inferno "history's first recorded self-insert fanfiction."

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Tanis said:
THIS JUST IN: NINTENDO HAS DONE THE FOLLOWING BECAUSE (some) RELIGIOUS FOLKS MIGHT FIND STUFF OFFENSIVE.

-Link officially comes out as a heterosexual.
-Samus is now a male.
-BLOOD has been removed from all future games.
-'Trainers' have now OFFICIALLY been renamed 'Masters' and 'Pokemon
(Pocket Monsters)' have been renamed as 'Pokeabom (Pocket Abominations).
-Kirby is no longer allow to suck up male enemies.
-Mario stories will now be a tale of a married man trying to protect his wife's virginity.
-All females leads will either be replaced by males OR Rule 63'd.
-In some regions all female characters will have to cover themselves to varying degree.
-All world maps are now FLAT.
-All kinds of 'magic' are now ban or shown to be an evil that corrupts all.

Derp
I laughed out quite loudly because of you, dear sir. Especially at the kirby part. Thank you.

As much as I hate this decision, I can fully understand Nintendo's reaction because... ugh... you try dealing with fundamentalist. (I admitted once in class that I'm agnostic and now I have two parents up my crotch claiming that I give their kids bad grades just because they're Christians... why did I have to be so stupid)
And yeah, it's sad that they win again by spoiling our fun. But still... big meh...

Also, I don't think Isaac is really comparable to other 'religious' (in huge inverted commas) games. Shin Megami is basically the old "plucky heroes vs. big bad" whereas Isaac is hugely disturbing PERSONAL religious experience. Somehow, it doesn't feel right to compare these two games just because of the "religious content". You don't see me bringing in Castlevania, although you fight Legion equipped with Holy Water and Crucifix (which double as boomerangs)